Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Campo 'wouldn't cut it today'

vCash
    I admire both players, Gregan more so because I watched him play (never watched Campese play) but I don't think this is a great way to leave your legacy on Australian Rugby. They both had stellar careers and should let that stand for what we remember them for. In saying that, I don't think what Gregan said is that bad, there are lots of autobiographies and biographies around that slag off former emplyers and colleagues. I think that maybe it shouldn't have been released to try and increase sales though. Surely there is something in the book, that would make the public want to buy it, more than "Campo wouldn't cut it".

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Sometimes it's best to remember that there is no use in fighting with a pig. You both get dirty, just the pig enjoys it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Sometimes it's best to remember that there is no use in fighting with a pig. You both get dirty, just the pig enjoys it.
    so who is the pig? campo or george?

this isnt about george, he wrote his book, he has been bagged in alot of books and in alot of media coverage over the past few years, the publisher is releasing the extracts not him and in context you never know, the remarks about other players might be justified to how he feels about life, as long as he is honest and not doing it for political gain or revenge he can say what he likes, he ernt the right to!

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm really not sure, if gregans allegations of playing the "master" are true then it's Campese. If this part is crap then it's Gregan.
    The whole thing is unfortunate and always smacks of the dramas created by (or for if your the media) people who don't have a real problem in their lives.

vCash
    as indicated before, my main problem with it is that is unfair to compare eras, espeacially in Rugby when you had the amatuer era with blokes who would train 2 maybe 3 nights a week and then the proffesional era with 5 day a week training, better training, strength and conditioning, dieticians etc etc.

You just can't do it, in any sport.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I agree that you can't compare era's, however Campo has been a success in the professional era, both as a player who retired in 1996, and as a skills coach where he has been successful in turning around the Sharks style of play.

vCash
    if Campo trained like an amateur and played against professionals then of course he wouldn't cut it but if he was exposed to the professional era training methods he might of actually been more awesome then he was back in the day.
    also Gregan should be ashamed, what happens on tour, stays on tour.

if the book doesn't sell that well, Gregan can always go back to making coffees in his cafes.

vCash
    waratahjesus :so who is the pig? George (if the cap fits)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    i dont see what he said that was bad, its pretty much true!
    (i dont know about the bully part, i mean the defensive part!)
    but campo has bagged the crap outta gregan in recent years so he cant really take offense to gregan giving it back!
    Thats very true WJ. Campo had called for Gregan to be axed for a long time so he does have a right to finally retaliate. But I expected more out of George than dredging it through the media to sell a book at potentially the cost of the image of the sport.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    have you read many autobiographies?
    it happens in all fields, politics, rugby, rugby league, everything

if it was just George's diary then why would anyone buy it?

chapter one
    i went for a walk today, it was good!.

that would be boring, as a public figure people like campo and Growden and co have all got stuck into him over the last few years, there criticism has been public and in some cases very personal, i would have more of a problem with gregan taking a media roll and bagging them back in the same way than writing his argument out in is own words and context in a book that he has his name to.

most of these books are written with a ghost writer who has a series of questions that they believe need to be answered, i dont really have an interest in Gregans story myself but when i think about it i would like to know if those who have personally critisized him over the years have done so due to personal or political opinions. its part of gregans life and not discussing it would mean he was releasing a book wihtout a big part of his world over the last few years in it!

as far as the image of the sport is, Gregan, if you like the player or not was a great captain on and off the park, the guy didnt drink or party, he did a heap of charity work and grass roots rugby work, he was a great captain. this isnt his legacy, its a book, it, like most autobiographies will be forgotten by the time the hooter goes for the next game!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    He wouldn't have got all this crap chucked at him if he had been working with a decent forward pack.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    there is arguments for and against gregan, his version of events is in his book, if you wanna know about them, go buy it!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You seem a little tense today WJ...Have you ever tried yoga?

vCash
    nah, yoga is for weirdos!

vCash
    IMO, Campese has handed Gregan enough criticism over the past 6 or so years that its fair that Gregan has finally retaliated to it.

Dont for a second believe that Campese is the innocent party in this little dispute, he has written quite a few articles over the years which have being scathing of Gregan over the years. At the time Gregan was a player and captain so he couldnt exactly retaliate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast