Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: South Africa threatens to quit Super 14

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I would quite enjoy watching the NH teams come to terms with playing in RSA during Dec, Jan and Feb! Assuming of course that they can afford to fly; check the attendances HERE. Unless the Saffers just relocate their teams to the NH, rely on TV and curtail their CC to allow for player rest periods.

Personally I would have said the ML was at or slightly below CC standard, due mostly to the need to manage team lists for the HC. But then, why wouldn't they stick the Spears and maybe one other team into the ML on top of the S14? Might even be an idea for the ARU!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Just when their teams are looking good going by the games on the weekend,it would be silly for them to pull out,especially if they start doing well this year.
    I think the teams this year are a lot more even than everyone thinks going by the closiness of the scores from the weekend,the reds were the only team no to get any points

vCash
    Does News Corp own Channel 10 here?

I know they are starting this new HD sports channel for the new 'freeview' system for Australian TV. Could a new comp (the pacific rim idea sounds interesting) be pitched to say C10 in Australia and then maybe set up a partnership with some NZ, Japan, US broadcasters? I am sure something could be organized!!

Rugby would be back to free to air TV!!! Now that is thinking out side the box isn't it ARU!!!!!! I really think that would be a great concept if News Corp don't want anything to do with a newly developed concept!

Last edited by unipirate; 17-02-09 at 12:18. Reason: me speaka de good engrish
    I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    news corp are in bed with 9 here but that was more with the packers who no longer have a share in them.

news are foxtel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I would quite enjoy watching the NH teams come to terms with playing in RSA during Dec, Jan and Feb! Assuming of course that they can afford to fly; check the attendances
    wow apart from the odd crowd that hits 20,000 plus (which i think was Munster) those crowds are pathetic

then again was it the Lions that drew a crowd of 4,000 against the Force once? I know against the Force the ticket offices were held up. They'd be happy with 8,000

vCash
    so no affiliation with C10. That could be a good idea then maybe, who knows.

I think if it became a pacific rim comp News Corp would probably stick with it since it would probably be shown in the US since there could be a US team and all.

Who knows lets see what happens

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    wow apart from the odd crowd that hits 20,000 plus (which i think was Munster) those crowds are pathetic
    Are the crowds pathetic? Or are the stadiums pathetic?

For example, The Stoop, home ground of Harlequins only holds about 12,000 full!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Are the crowds pathetic? Or are the stadiums pathetic?

For example, The Stoop, home ground of Harlequins only holds about 12,000 full!!!
    all of the above

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unipirate View Post
    Does News Corp own Channel 10 here?

I know they are starting this new HD sports channel for the new 'freeview' system for Australian TV. Could a new comp (the pacific rim idea sounds interesting) be pitched to say C10 in Australia and then maybe set up a partnership with some NZ, Japan, US broadcasters? I am sure something could be organized!!

Rugby would be back to free to air TV!!! Now that is thinking out side the box isn't it ARU!!!!!! I really think that would be a great concept if News Corp don't want anything to do with a newly developed concept!
    Thats OneHD which is unofficially running atm. They had NBA on last week and NASCAR yesterday morning. I believe there is some form of NFL either this week or next as well.

Its Channel 1 on HD (obviously).

Also CanWest own Ch 10 iirc.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    A shame really, that Channel 10 is prepared to pay to broadcast all these American sports free-to-air and therefore expects them to rate better than a domestic rugby competition.......oh, wait, we don't know because no domestic rugby competition is available for sale. Apparently the ARU doesn't think rugby is at all interesting or could possibly be sold for anything like $3-5M (for a minimum thirty odd matches), so the competition can only ever lose money...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    A shame really, that Channel 10 is prepared to pay to broadcast all these American sports free-to-air and therefore expects them to rate better than a domestic rugby competition.......oh, wait, we don't know because no domestic rugby competition is available for sale. Apparently the ARU doesn't think rugby is at all interesting or could possibly be sold for anything like $3-5M (for a minimum thirty odd matches), so the competition can only ever lose money...
    News Corp essentially funds S14, thus they get broadcast rights.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    If the SA rugby left who would do the squirrel grip....?

vCash
    atleast there wouldn't be any more spear tackling...

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    they betta not god damn leave the super 14!!!
    i will like cry...

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    News Corp essentially funds S14, thus they get broadcast rights.
    I know, that is why it is such a shame we don't have something else to sell to FTA television - like, say, an Australian Rugby Championship.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast