Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Props..the platform to success

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    - Australians don't breed big enough!
    They do, it is just that the only props we have are those that have either been spotted very young, or that have done extensive time at the amateur level AND a professional position opened up AND they got spotted AND they were still then in a position to pursue a professional career once identified. That is a tall order...we don't have props because, unlike every other country, we don't have a semi-pro or professional competition for them to make a living in while they learn the trade. Frankly, we never will have a selection of props until we get that level.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Why hasn't the Force employed a full time front row coach like the other states. The Reds have Bell, the Tahs have Foley and the Brumbies have Bill Young, all renowned front rowers and emerging coaches. The Force has a part timer based in Sydney and has one of the the weakest front rows in the comp, although better than last year.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Matt Tink.

vCash
    Its not always the size that counts, you can be a light Prop but if you have a good technique then you can hold your own against any opposition. But for the sake of our (general) future we must continue with home grown Props. We just require the right persons in the right coaching positions. PROPS RULE

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Look at Pek Cowan and Gareth Hardy. Hardy started out in a Force's first few years and has been great and over the 4 years he's imparted all his knowledge and experience on to Pek and as a result Pek is putting in some pretty solid performances as a prop. But we haven't had a tighthead mentor since Angus Scott retired. Takiari was 29 with 2 Tahs caps when he came over and AJ is a converted flanker who had almost no experience whatsoever. Someone needs to be there to show them the ropes and to be honest it has to be much easier to teach someone how to prop if you show them yourself. Bring in Fairbrother- or even Dunning if we have to. Someone with experience at least.

The downside of Union over League is that the really technical roles like prop and hooker take a fair while to develop and by the time a player can make reasonable money in Union they could be years into their career in League. A mobile 120kg meatbag is worth a lot more in League than it is in Union so the big thing is just getting our priorities right.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

The downside of Union over League is that the really technical roles like prop and hooker take a fair while to develop and by the time a player can make reasonable money in Union they could be years into their career in League. A mobile 120kg meatbag is worth a lot more in League than it is in Union so the big thing is just getting our priorities right.
    There is a fairly simple answer to that. The powers that be need to have a good look at re-balancing their priorities.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Matt Tink.
    And from what I have seen Matt is pretty handy as a forwards coach having played there himself.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm glad you didn't add an s to "Matt" and "Tink", Pieter.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Matt Tinks?????

What's wrong with that???

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    It seems to be an Australia-wide problem - Australians don't breed big enough!
    I'd have to disagree with that. My zimm mates suggest that I am an ideal build for a prop, without ever having tried or - not sure which is appropriate.

There is a real place here for talent identification, the young guys suited to prop are likely to be unsuited to most other sports and are a real opportunity to attract to rugby. The challenge is to get them involved and to give them opportunity.

Champion
    vCash
    No more Yarpies in WA please If we got a Yarpie and we won S14 title can u imagine the New Threads and my poor hard drive!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    No more Yarpies in WA please If we got a Yarpie and we won S14 title can u imagine the New Threads and my poor hard drive!!!
    I would say: THE FORCE WON THE SUPER 14 and thats that it's not where the players come from but who they play for that counts I stay in Western Australia now so I support the Force. The Bulls still have a special place in my hart but if they play against the Force I will shout for the Force.

Last edited by pieter blackie; 16-04-09 at 07:26. Reason: spelling

Player
    vCash
    What the force need is a dedicated scrum doctor.I dont think enough emphasis is placed on this area at training from what Ive heard.Front rowers need proper feedback from each game on areas that the scrum can be improved.I think the players have been doing that themselves this year especially with the experience of Tai and BC.Having the same starting combo has also led to stability and improvements in the scrum.

The best way to learn is to play,Pek has improved because he has been playing and learning from each game.We should be using the npc currie cup or syd comp to give our young front rowers game time and experience.I doubt whether you learn much from sitting on the sidelines watching.Kbomb and whittaker should be sent to the nz rugby academy while they are not playing.

The way the game is played these days,size is not always an advantage for a modern day prop,explosive power and technique are more important.They also need to be able to catch and pass,tackle,be mobile,clean out and run the ball up.

So if our finals chances are gone do we start blooding players for next year,or do we play our strongest combo for the rest of the season.
    Personally as a spectator and supporter I would like to see the best 22 each week.

---------- Post added at 07:44 ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 ----------

Luke Holmes is playing for warringah rats this weekend so I am assuming young whittaker will be on the bench.Good luck to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post

Luke Holmes is playing for warringah rats this weekend so I am assuming young whittaker will be on the bench.Good luck to him.
    Is this good or bad

Player
    vCash
    Well as much as I like Luke, I think he has been given enough chances to prove himself,he is not a great scrumager and that maybe his downfall,otherwise I think his game is fine.Young whittaker must have done enough to prove that he is ready or the comittees patience has run out with holmes.

I think that it is good for holmes to be getting more game time,but I am not sure that this is a game that you want to bring in a new boy.He will either sink or swim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast