Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: All Blacks win Bledisloe thriller with 19-18 victory against the Wallabies

vCash
    i cant find any word on sharpe yet.
    when he came off he looked to be holding his elbow. but later in the game they cut to a shot of him having ice on his shoulder.

barnes should be ok. at halftime jim williams i think it was said he just had a concussion and they swapped him out as a precaution

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm hugely dissapointed. I was at a friends house catching glimpses, but what I saw was not bad, but we just couldn't convert it. The All Blacks were piss-weak for half the game, more than half the game, and we still lost. It's embarassing. Something needs to change. From what I saw : Giteau was poor and both starting wingers were quiet. JOC's dropgoal was unwise, Brownie's card was harsh and I think we are missing Stirlo. Tackling seems to be an issue and every single time I looked at the TV we had just kicked the ball down the throat of Sivivatu - what the HELL!? It was a poor show. Luck kept us in there - All Blacks nearly scored three - did we get closer to the line than we did before Genia knocked on at 81st minute?

Should I watch the full thing, or not bother? Kaplan was his normal erratical self?

Hynes was the only real positive. To start next week. A winger than created something from nothing - it was beautiful! My MOM. He's been right - he should have come back earlier. Crossy also looked alright the couple of times I saw him, or did I just get the good bits?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Anyone else think that Rocky was very lucky not to be given a yellow-card after only 5 seconds? I'm sure that at any other time during the match taking out a man in the air like that would warrant a sit-down for 10 minutes. Kaplan needs to grow some cojones!!!
    Nah. I reckon that jump was fairly late and at the point he left the ground there was nothing Elsom could do to stop. McCaw (pretty sure it was him) only jumped because he knew he'd get pole-axed if he didn't. The whole taking the player in the air thing should partly be judged by damage done and I don't think McCaw was that shaken up/put at risk by it.

Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    All Blacks nearly scored three - did we get closer to the line than we did before Genia knocked on at 81st minute?

Should I watch the full thing, or not bother? Kaplan was his normal erratical self?

Hynes was the only real positive. To start next week. A winger than created something from nothing - it was beautiful! My MOM. He's been right - he should have come back earlier. Crossy also looked alright the couple of times I saw him, or did I just get the good bits?
    We got close a couple of times. There was a pretty cynical penalty right on the line at half time (which gave 3 points but could've pretty easily been 7) which I might add came from some committed attacking rugby after the half-time siren which was pleasing. Pretty sure it was Ben Alexander who knocked it on as well. Its a shame Barnes wasn't still on because his drop-goaling ability would have been handy there.

I thought Kaplan was very fair. I promised Ecky I'd never slate the ref again but even if I hadn't there wasn't really anything to slate.

The backline was funny in the second half. They were very quiet except for maybe AAC and Hynesy. I don't think any of the backs got enough ball to really do anything with it. Although I would say that Crossy should come back into 13, AAC back to 15 and JO'C back to the bench. AAC's counter attacking would have come in handy rather than the constant balls JO'C and Giteau kicked to Sivivatu. Ohh and bring in Hynes for either Mitchell or Turner. I'd say Mitchell if it was true his first touch was in the 38th minute. I hadn't noticed.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    have a look at the stats and you will see that JOC Drew and Gits were pretty average
    You will also see that the kicking to Sivivatu was he wrong option he gained 122m
    Hynes ganed the most meters for the Wallabies but he was only on the field for 36 minutes

Poor starting lineup selection, a five eight on his own mission and an absent Mortlock cost Aus the game

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    have a look at the stats and you will see that JOC Drew and Gits were pretty average
    You will also see that the kicking to Sivivatu was he wrong option he gained 122m
    Hynes ganed the most meters for the Wallabies but he was only on the field for 36 minutes

Poor starting lineup selection, a five eight on his own mission and an absent Mortlock cost Aus the game
    Agreed. Rob should give Barnes a shot at 10. Barnes is becoming the new Larkham. Enormously talented but constantly bloody injured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    right on cue,Muddie
    its my job....

vCash
    My thoughts on last night from the nosebleed seats.

The all blacks deserved to win - plain and simple. They played the better rugby particularly in broken play when we kicked the ball straight down their throats. Th opportunity for the back 3 to run at a broken defensive line could have lead to more tries, if it wasn't for some scrambling defense.

After the siren went, the TWF contingent and other supporters around us were looking for the drop goal - that did not eventuate. We counted about 6 phases where a drop goal could have been attempted. I would have had the same feeling had the attempt of a drop goal missed, but not attempting that play to win ugly left many frustrated.

I for one am very happy that Drew will be in light blue next year, as his last 15 minutes at fullback didn't inspire. Not particularly impressed with Burgess again, seemed that the ball was buried 6ft underground every time we had a ruck and took forever to clear. The lineout looked better with Rocky back, but will still take some time to get back to match fitness.

Changes for next week:

Genia to start for Burgess (give him a run so we can get quality passing for the majority of the game, rather than 10minutes)

Alexander to start with Baxter gone and Dunning brought in to replace him (but they probably won't make that change as Dunning was left out of initial squads)

Depending on rabbits injury, we will probably have to start with either AAC or Drew in 15. Personally, I would prefer to see AAC in 15, Cross into 13, Hynes on the wing and Drew to the bench. The depth in the backs is looking wafer thin at the moment.

I don't think that Brownie will get a run next week after receiving a canary last night, given the statement earlier in the week regarding discipline.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Spot on James and Oxleymoron

vCash
    Did Sharpie get MOM ?

Hopefully Barnes is not out for long

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post

After the siren went, the TWF contingent and other supporters around us were looking for the drop goal - that did not eventuate. We counted about 6 phases where a drop goal could have been attempted. I would have had the same feeling had the attempt of a drop goal missed, but not attempting that play to win ugly left many frustrated.
    There were a couple of phases where Giteau was clearly in a position to take a drop goal...but it never happened...despite the Wallabies barely looking like they were going to score a try the whole game.

Also thought that the scrums picked up once Baxter was subbed....had a laugh at his facial expression too...sour grapes

...thought Sivivatu looked dangerous most of the nite, while Carter looked a little like he couldn't care less!

vCash
    If everyone let the halfback do his job after the siren then it would have been an easy win. They all completely ignored him and at times even cleared the ball out of the ruck when he was standing right there. The crap ball to Giteau in the last 2 minutes was probably the reason they couldn't score a try or a DG.

Other then that, the rest of the game was played well. All Blacks cheated very well at the rucks and the wallabies defense was a lot better this time.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    The all blacks deserved to win - plain and simple. They played the better rugby particularly in broken play when we kicked the ball straight down their throats. Th opportunity for the back 3 to run at a broken defensive line could have lead to more tries, if it wasn't for some scrambling defense.
    That was the most annoying thing. Whenever we kicked it at them there were three of their players standing back and three of our players where the ball was being kicked from. Those three could have chanced their arm against a stretched defensive line and put some pressure on rather than having Sivivatu putting the pressure on. When we did run it at them at the end of the first half metres were made and a try was just inches away.

I don't see any reason why we couldn't beat the All Blacks in our away game. We almost did last night. We almost did in Auckland. Trying to be optimistic I'd say its not beyond the Wallabies reach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Did Sharpie get MOM ?

Hopefully Barnes is not out for long
    Yeah Sharpie was announced as mom. He played great and held his own against some of the All Blacks even from our seats we could clearly see him throw a few fists.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ox View Post
    Yeah Sharpie was announced as mom. He played great and held his own against some of the All Blacks even from our seats we could clearly see him throw a few fists.
    He wasn't throwing fists, he was swatting flies in the ruck.

vCash
    Amazing. The Wallabies could have won the game on penalties and a drop goal.

A few weeks ago, we had a chorus of complaint against penalties and drop goals. Fast forward to Sunday and there's hardly a mention about the penalties and significantly, there is the common "why the hell didn't we kick a drop goal when we had the chance in the dying minutes?!".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast