Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pindan Premier Grade Rnd 11

Champion
    vCash
    Mr. Sprogrugby - onya and I fully support you. I was thinking the other day of having a couple spare refs shirts on the sideline and when I hear a spectator play the ref ( as opposed to playing the decision) I could offer the spectator the chance to wear the shirt and show us all how he would manage the game.

However, there is one area I think our referees need to look at and that is the selection of which ref adjudicates at which game. At Colts level, refs have a far bigger influence over a player and their enjoyment of the game than in older 3rds, 4ths etc. Guys in 30's, 40's and so on who play the game, understand refs are part of the game and some days you have good ones and some days not so good.

Colts are a bit different and can allow emotion to rule their decision about playing the game. A poor reffing display can in fact go to stopping a Colt from playing the game which is not what we want.

There is absolutely no doubt that refs who give of their time and are prepared to adjudicate a game have our unreserved admiration.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The capacity of the individual referee, especially those refereeing Premier, 2nds and U/20s whose games are filmed and a DVD provided to the referee, to review their game with honesty and without self-justification is up to the individual referee.

I do not referee games that are filmed very often these days but, as I discussed with Sprogrugby 2 fixtures ago, I will always review my DVD within days of the game (usually the same night) with the view to assessing things such as my positioning, communication, decision-making and the actual decisions. From this I formulate a strategy of things to specifically work on in future games. The fixture during which I had the discussion with Sprogrugby was filmed and I have a plan ready for this weekend (I was on Rotto last weekend) and beyond.

I imagine the "A Panel" and "B Panel" refs do the same, but to what extent I know not. It's a while since I was available for those panels. There are resources for all referees to use in order to assist with this sort of thing, including game preparation, analysis and review. I know that some referees are happy in their own sphere of refereeing and think they are beyond such things and that their standard of refereeing is perfectly fine. I think these guys are fooling themselves, but that's their choice and it is difficult to change that mindset. I know others who are very much students of the game and will analyse at length with a view to improving each week.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post

However, there is one area I think our referees need to look at and that is the selection of which ref adjudicates at which game. At Colts level, refs have a far bigger influence over a player and their enjoyment of the game than in older 3rds, 4ths etc. Guys in 30's, 40's and so on who play the game, understand refs are part of the game and some days you have good ones and some days not so good.

Colts are a bit different and can allow emotion to rule their decision about playing the game. A poor reffing display can in fact go to stopping a Colt from playing the game which is not what we want.

There is absolutely no doubt that refs who give of their time and are prepared to adjudicate a game have our unreserved admiration.
    Fair point Hansie and I agree wholeheartedly with the importance of a good ref being pivotal to getting the most out of a Colts game, and helping maintain the lads interest in turning up. Of course the balance is that we have similarly 'less experienced' refs that also need to develop, and there are certain ref skills that get tested / found wanting in the Colts games (I reffed one a couple of weeks ago and despite being a relativity senior ref found it a much tougher game that I probably didn't perform in to the same level as say a Premier Grade)

At some point the players and refs will meet, we can only hope and work on providing sufficient ref coaching to help the ref in question realise what they can do better next time. Important that coaches and players do the same obviously.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    My story of the week (well the one which has anything to do with reffing) is the beginnings of our captain in actually building a relationship with the ref. as most of you know, junior rugby captaincy is a tough gig for any kid, and our bloke is an absolute legend on the pitch, dragging most of the team behind him using sheer guts and charisma, but he has (till now) tended to be pretty quiet with refs.

We played Hale this weekend and it was particularly dismal in the beginning, the ref was penalizing the weaker team and the stronger team was getting away with a bit. Typical performance and no real argument with that, sometimes it's hard to see.

I chatted to the young feller at about the 15th minute about this fact and told him to ask the ref about his rulings in some of the more obvious occasions, along with a determined fight back from the boys, the respectful questioning of the captain had the desired effect and we got several penalties in a row for sealing off and entering from the side (doing' it all day sir) and that lead to our catch up tries.

Lost the game, but proud f the boys, particularly the captain and happy with the ref in the end.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Ecky, answer the fricking question posed. Do you attend the referee education meetings to improve yourself or is it all navel-gazing with you?

Ditto Sprog and Rugby Ref?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    oh dear,RM's got a shitty liver again

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumourMonger View Post
    Ecky, answer the fricking question posed. Do you attend the referee education meetings to improve yourself or is it all navel-gazing with you?

Ditto Sprog and Rugby Ref?
    I can assure you RM (and speak for RugbyRef) that he and I are regular attendees (and often vocal contributors) at the ref
    education meetings. Do I get a gold star now
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash

There you go Sprogrugby!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprogrugby View Post
    I can assure you RM (and speak for RugbyRef) that he and I are regular attendees (and often vocal contributors) at the ref
    education meetings. Do I get a gold star now
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That star should last you a lifetime. Beware of Arabs bearing gifts though.

Now Ecky, stop ducking and weaving. Any truth to the rumour that you have not been to one referees meeting this year?

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post

There you go Sprogrugby!
    Ahhhh, Sheikh, you shouldn't have

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprogrugby View Post
    (I reffed one a couple of weeks ago and despite being a relativity senior ref found it a much tougher game that I probably didn't perform in to the same level as say a Premier Grade)

Posted via Mobile Device
    If it was in the Bayswater area - I agree with your sentiments completely

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    If it was in the Bayswater area - I agree with your sentiments completely
    No, not me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    TWFers - each week we have a thread that refers to the local comp round matches recently, instead of insight into who is playing well, who is below par etc, we get rants about the reffing.

Can we set up a "crap reffing calls" thread or similar and stick to discussions re the local comp... assuming that there is anyone qualified to discuss it... I miss hearing about the games themselves.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Rookie
    vCash
    Good call DD.

I'll start then - have seen Associates #8 2-3 times this season - he is an immensely strong and active ball carrier, certainly providing some go forward ball for a forward pack that Andy Cole has transformed info a fairy dynamic and busy lot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    Speaking about Soaks how's this one,Soaks ist grade winger is the boss of our 6 foot 5 Ist grade lock at a scaffold place and lo and behold our lock gets sent up north for 5 days, never ever had to go north before and got back on Sunday.Call me a suspicious type but I smell a rat.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast