Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Squad so far

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Was hoping the news was about Nick Cummins or JOC. Haven't really heard of either of these guys.
    Nick is waiting for the ARU to get their finger out... Why does it take them so darned long... a player's future is in hold .....crikey.. If I was Nick I would seriously think about signing elsewhere just so I know where I'm at... Bloody ARU... our CEO should give them a kick!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I reckon that's a bit of a tough call DinkyDi.

I would not look at Heiberg as a development player. I would look at it as a situation where we need an extra prop with the new extra bench prop rule. Our loosehead props are very solid but we could use another experienced, out and out tighthead. There are no good tightheads going around Australia (just look at the Rebels scraping the barrel). We have the U20s starting tighthead in our academy and he will be great for us in a couple of years when Heiberg's contract is up. It's probably more of a stopgap measure.

Who else should we have recruited instead of Heiberg?
    I am not a scout my any means but if the coaches et al were looking forward and Heiberg is the best we can get then all I can say is that the world is short of THPs. Here is a guy in his late 20s who has not cracked Super Rugby in any way barring being in a squad of 40. It just does not give me any confidence that he will be able to deliver anything to the team if required. To sign him for 3 years?? as well makes me wonder. Why not pick up the outgoing Kings THP - he has experience and was quote good. I know that this is a development spot but again.... 28 yo development player.... give me a break

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    "The 28-year-old Cape Town-born prop, who also made his name with Ikeys, was a regular starter for Western Province in the Vodacom Cup and was starting tighthead in the side that lost to eventual winners the Golden Lions, in the semifinals of this year’s competition."

For "Vodacom Cup" read Shute Shield equivalent.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Senior Player
    vCash
    I would love to know what people think of the standard of Shute Shield I have seen a few matches on the abc in the early hours of the morning and of the few games that I have seen I haven't been all that impressed with the standard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post
    I am not a scout my any means but if the coaches ET AL were looking forward
    You were struggling a little to fit that one in I reckon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I know it gets up your goat Shasta - will will avoid the incorrect use in the future - I was, of course, referring to the senior management team in association with the coaches. and Al was not involved.

vCash
    and Al was not involved.
    et?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I am not a scout my any means but if the coaches et al were looking forward and Heiberg is the best we can get then all I can say is that the world is short of THPs. Here is a guy in his late 20s who has not cracked Super Rugby in any way barring being in a squad of 40. It just does not give me any confidence that he will be able to deliver anything to the team if required. To sign him for 3 years?? as well makes me wonder. Why not pick up the outgoing Kings THP - he has experience and was quote good. I know that this is a development spot but again.... 28 yo development player.... give me a break
    The world is short of THPs. Name me some other realistic options. Don't judge this guy before you've even seen him play. Salesi Ma'afu was a Wallaby- didn't make him any less of a waste of space.

Quote Originally Posted by The Boab View Post
    With 5 spots left on the roster and 5 EPS I hope Foley is looking for some quality unknowns.

My thoughts for what it is worth are;

Another Prop - Manu and an EPS prop Ollie H.
    Hooker - a good mobile scrummager ( maybe an EPS hooker also)
    backrow - why McCaffrey was cut we won't know or do we. But we need to develop another number 8 to work under Ben Mac - we have four backrowers and do you think we will have 4 all of next year - the casualty rate in that position is high. In addition we need to identify a number 7 to understudy Alcock and Hodgo.
    Centres - we need two number 13's. One ready to go and an understudy. As for 12 - we have kyle but as a backup we can (if we sign him) consider JOC. But JOC primarily should play 15 in line with Links Wallaby ambition for him.
    And of course we need to sign the Badger !
    Pretty decent back three!
    Love you thinking at Prop.

Do we know for certain that McCaffrey was cut? Now that Steenkamp is signed, we might see Hugh McMeniman at 6. As for an understudy openside, Jack Dempsey from the U20s might be a good option or Richard Hardwick from the Force academy. They might not be ready for it yet though.

Will definitely need an EPS scrumhalf. It would be great to get Justin Turner back if his knees haven't packed in.

Given the players we already have signed, O'Connor and Cummins would fill out our squad for backs. Unless players are released (i.e. CTM). Things aren't looking good for Pat Dellit if both those guys signed.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Pat Dellit to 13? He'd be fighting for time with Rasolea and Branche (unless Branche stays at 12 behind Godwin). He's played 13 for us in previous seasons

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Yeah there are 5 spots left for 2014 if the squad size is 30.

You would put 2 away for JOC and Cummins (27)

We need a second hooker (teessman) (28)

I think they will be increasing the squad numbers to accommodate the extra prop on game day so you would think a squad of 31 or 32. So 1 spot to Manu and an extra depending on the squad numbers. (Bring back Cruze!)

Of the players not signed yet you have Stanley and Delit so if they increased the prop numbers both could be re-signed if not 1 has to go.

Delit for me would be the one to let go but i don’t think we will have to.

Then you have the EPS

1 Prop – Hoskins
    1 Hooker – Roach maybe ( he isn’t on tour with the tahs which has surprised a few people)
    1 Lock – Walton
    1 Scrum Half – Snowden/Turner
    1 Utility Back – Burton

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Debut Super season has Christie raring to go

Debut Super season has Christie raring to go
    EVAN PEGDEN
    Last updated 05:00 07/08/2013

Sam Christie Photosport GOOD EXPERIENCE: Sam Christie in action for the Western Force during the Super Rugby season.
    Sam Christie's buildup to Waikato's national championship and Ranfurly Shield season has been a bit different this year.

The five-eighth has been around the Waikato squad since he was a 19-year-old straight out of Hamilton Boys' High School, playing a few games here and a few games there both as a first and second-five.

But his biggest impact came in the two Ranfurly Shield matches at the end of last season where he played a starring role in the 10 jersey, sparking a backline to do more attacking than it had all year.

It led to an opportunity in Perth with the Western Force that meant instead of his usual club season for Fraser-Tech before moving on to the NPC with Waikato he was 5400km away from Mooloo country.

The 26-year-old's desire to play Super Rugby and pin down a spot as a fulltime professional player either here or overseas had his manager putting out feelers and with an Australian-born father the other side of the Tasman was an obvious target.

"Playing Super Rugby this year was a good experience and while it's leading into a long year what it's taught me is how to be a bit more professional and look after yourself, I guess," Christie said at yesterday's Waikato NPC season launch breakfast.

"The Western Force were looking for a couple of 10s so I got an opportunity for a two-week trial with them, going over to Perth and it worked out all well, they offered me a contract for the year.

"I was quite happy with myself about that, because I just wanted to play Super 15 and finally got the opportunity."

Christie got five Super Rugby games early in the season and also played in the foreign position of fullback in "a once-in-a-lifetime" game against the British and Irish Lions for the Force.

When he wasn't turning out for the Force he was allowed to play every second week for the Cottesloe club.

"[Club rugby there] was quite a good standard from what I was expecting."

So far Christie has not been offered a new contract with the Force but negotiations through his manager are still continuing.

"But I plan just to focus on Waikato and ITM Cup, see how that goes and maybe other opportunities might open up through that too," he said.

It took negotiations through his manager for his release to play for Waikato this year to be granted by the Australian Rugby Union.

"I always wanted to come back and play, especially when we've got the [Ranfurly] Shield, so this year has worked out quite well for me."

Christie will vie with promising Hamilton Marist youngster Wharenui Hawera for the No10 jersey this season and said the influx of exciting young talent brought fresh energy to the squad.

- © Fairfax NZ News

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times...e-raring-to-go

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    1 Lock – Walton
    I was reading on G&GR that they believe the Force have signed Adam Coleman, second rower from the Tahs

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    I was reading on G&GR
    There is your problem

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    It may not be so far fetched

FORMER New Town High School house captain Adam Coleman is the pride of Tasmanian rugby.

Coleman, 21, made his debut for the NSW Waratahs in the 28-13 win over the Western Force in Perth, coming off the bench to play 15 minutes after starring for Parramatta in the Shute Shield.

And it might just be the tip of the Super Rugby iceberg for the 204cm, 122kg lock.

"I actually did pre-season with the Western Force," Coleman said.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article...port-news.html

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    He'd definitely be a good pick up. If MMM is used as a backrower, it might be that both Coleman and Walton are in next year's squad.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast