vCash
    they haven't run GIGS yet.

96fm and 6PR were at the handover
    Posted via Mobile Device

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    GIGGS is on.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    how did it go ... ?

vCash
    Pretty well. The interviewer was on side and GIGGS got our points across OK.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    shall download podcast

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Champion
    vCash
    Did the government esclate on anything... (i.e. were going to think about it, or recycle the paperwork ?)

vCash
    Handover went well- there were people from 6PR and 96fm there, who recorded Gigs' speech, Barry House's repsonse and asked a couple of questions about the group, how long we'd been at it, objectives etc. As mentioned Gigs had an interview on 6PR, which I'm hoping we can chase up a transcript to- for those who were listening- did Bob Kucera follow? We were told he would be.
    Good feedback from Barry- parliament resumes on the 12th, and the petition will go to the assembly soon after that- he will let us know the day. It will be sponsored by John McGrath in the house, as Barry is a member of the legislative council. His office should be releasing a statement about the stadium issue also.

Gigs speech is below:

All followers of open field sports in Western Australia are agreed that there is a pressing need to improve the standard of major stadia in this state. To this end, the proposed Perth Stadium will be a marked improvement on current facilities for AFL and other major events such as international matches and exhibitions, which the proposed operable seating is designed to accommodate. However, history has shown that sharing a stadium for sports as disparate as Australian Rules, Association Football, Rugby League and Rugby Union is fraught with issues, from both administrative and surface quality viewpoints.

Following on from the release of the Major Stadia Taskforce Report and announcement of the new multi-purpose stadium, we have spent the last six months in consultation with the public of Western Australia and spectators echo our concerns.
    The regular conversion of a stadium from oval to rectangular configuration is certain to cause damage to the playing surface when the stands are moved every week.
    Furthermore, by the time the stadium is completed, Western Australian teams may wish to utilise this facility for 2 AFL teams, 1 Super 14 Rugby team competing in an expanded competition and possibly a National Rugby League team, thus requiring approximately 22 home games in oval configuration and up to 26 home games in rectangular configuration in addition to international matches for Cricket, Rugby Union, Rugby League and Association Football. Managing the various demands of the respective sporting bodies will be a mammoth undertaking, and one that we believe will be ultimately be resolved in favour of one tenant to the detriment of all others.

We see evidence of this in the management of Telstra Dome in Melbourne. Telstra Dome is one of the stadia studied by the Major Stadia Taskforce and the design of Perth Stadium draws on lessons learned by studying this stadium. In this exemplar stadium, which contains operable seating the Australian Rugby Union team played Ireland earlier this year, on the evening before an AFL match between Richmond and Melbourne. A match as important as a test match between the fourth and eighth ranked teams in the world would surely have warranted configuring the stadium as a rectangle. Unfortunately, in this instance Telstra Dome remained in it's oval configuration, and fans were forced to view the action from a less than optimal position.

8832 Western Australian citizens agree with us that the only sensible solution when faced with these issues is to provide a dedicated rectangular stadium for the benefit of the people of Western Australia. To this end we ask that the Western Australian Government uphold their commitment of September 2005 and provide 25 Million dollars to fund the upgrade of Members Equity Stadium to a suitable capacity and standard for the needs of all rectangular field sports.

P.S. "Robbo" certainly scrubs up nicely in the suit and tie

vCash
    We had a chat with Barry afterwards and sort of said that the AFL fans won't be best pleased when they see the state of the pitch after this seating has been rolled over it a few times !

He actually asked about the growth of the grass etc.. i.e. it doesn't grow under stadiums.

He nearly fell over when Badger told him that the only stadium were the reconfiguration was not a problem was in Japan where they float the different grounds out of the stadium i.e. one for baseball and the other surface for football.

Seemed to indicate that RugbyWa had no interest in the governance of the new stadium - which seems bizarre to me

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash

Thumbs up

1. Sapporo Stadium
    2. Sapporo Stadium

Interesting reading...

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Thanks no 8- was wondering how that worked.
    Hope this gif works- from a shear engineering point of view I reckon this is pretty cool:

Last edited by Swee_82; 29-07-08 at 16:34.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    He nearly fell over when Badger told him that the only stadium were the reconfiguration was not a problem was in Japan where they float the different grounds out of the stadium i.e. one for baseball and the other surface for football.

Seemed to indicate that RugbyWa had no interest in the governance of the new stadium - which seems bizarre to me

That was the best double take I've ever SEEN!

At last count, we've made the news on 6PR, 96FM and I just recorded a sound bite on Nova. I'm hoping we make the 5 O'clock news there.

Thanks Swee et al for saving me a million posts. It's starting to feel like this is a beginning not an ending, (anybody interested in bombarding the West and the Sunday Times with articles) I'll be keeping pretty close contact with the Hon Mr House regarding this issue, and (as I ususally do) will be as transparent as I can be. We've made a reasonably big splash in the local media today and our name has been bandied around quite a bit. also the number....don't forget 8832 Western Australians agree with our point of view that this stadium will set up a conflict which will marginalise the recangular field codes.

Big props go to the guys who didn't get mentioned in the news reports.....everybofy knows this isn't a one man show and I'm a bit upset that the reports are using my name more than the We Need Corners brand we want, but I want to say a very public thanks to the committee, the collectors, the hangers on (note I'm not using actual names, I'm scared shitless of missing someone) a central band of about 20 people, a wider group of around 100 a bunch of businesses many of whom I'm sure I don't even know had our pages on their front desks and (not least) 8832 WA citizens who took the time out of their busy lives to give a shit about an important issue.

Thanks much....everyone

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    At last count, we've made the news on 6PR, 96FM and I just recorded a sound bite on Nova. I'm hoping we make the 5 O'clock news there....
    We've made a reasonably big splash in the local media today and our name has been bandied around quite a bit.
    Great news on that front Gigs

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

It's starting to feel like this is a beginning not an ending, (anybody interested in bombarding the West and the Sunday Times with articles)
    I think you could be right Gigs- the next two weeks between now and presenting to parliament will be important- If the intentions of the petition resemble in some small way the upcoming Liberal stadium policy, then it's in their interest to get the issue out there are much as it is ours. Little late for getting letters to the editor etc in for tomorrow, but once we gauge any coverage on the part of the West it might be worth looking at in the next few days, or in the lead up to tabling in parliament- on this point also, was trawling through old stuff on WNC (e.g. old articles) and couldn't get some attachments to work- we need to check this out if we're directing people there.

Cheers for all your work mate, We Need Corners couldn't have a better public face

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Thanks no 8- was wondering how that worked.
    Hope this gif works- from a shear engineering point of view I reckon this is pretty cool:

That bit on the right looks like a perfect use for Subiaco Oval......keeping our nice rectangular pitch in pristine condition!

C'mon the

vCash
    Oops.. meant to say we should try andhit 6PR sports Central this week, though it'll be hard with the Derby on, what little time is available for everything else should be taken up with Bledisloe and the like.

vCash
    No8 can you swing an invite to sport central mate?

Doesn't have to be me, I'm sure the public would appreciate hearing more than one voice saying this stdium won't work!

C'mon the

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast