Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Western Force loosens John Mitchell's iron grip

vCash
    spot on in all respects Gigs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Apart from all the speculation crap and muck raking in that story I think the new set up is just the next step in the evolution of a new team. At the start there needs to be someone who has control of the decisions, now all the framework is in place the next phase is to build a system to go forward.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    now all the framework is in place the next phase is to build a system to go forward.
    From the outset, the model for the building of the Western Force was to be the Canterbury Crusaders. I wonder if Aussie Bob ever coached with a "Match Committee" chaired by the CEO. If he did I'd lay money it operated on the principles GIGS described before.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Selection committees...............Leadership Groups.........................what a bunch of crap
    Don't get you knickers in a knot there big bird!

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 11-12-08 at 18:12.
    Hasta la vista Pam

vCash
    GIGS…Looks like CEO Harris is questioning Mitchell’s leadership abilities… But its all rubbish, media make believe, surely its just not true...no such committee will ever be under John Mitchell’s tenure…

Apprentice
    vCash

John Mitchell Leadership Discussion

If we don't stop this leadership of a sporting team by a committee right now we're going to be committed to years of mediocrity and reducing club numbers and team performance capability at the Force.

We're lucky to have a strong coaching staff and good players but we need to work on keeping them. Its obvious to all that we're not blessed with the strongest of management both now and in the past. Whoever got hoodwinked into doing the Firepower deal needs to go back to negotiation school.

So we have some unease about a world-class coach running the show and we feel that we all need to have our say !!! Grow up boys, this is rugby and we need to get out there and win. We're not doing a job for the council !!

If we're lucky enough to have a world-class coach who's prepared to make hard decisions, we better capitalise on it. This is Perth, we won't get a second chance. That's the way to greatness. This is not a world class rugby destination we won't have another good one come along.

If we have a problem with consultation, we're all big enough to have that discussion out in the open aren't we ? We don't need to apply some faceless decision-by-consensus corporate committee process. "Copied from the Sydney Swans" that's a disgrace. That is the road straight to nothingness.

So come on all you Yapies recently arrived, Kiwis driving trucks in mines, Welsh guys singing in Joondalup, lets get this sorted. We don't need rugby by committee lets get behind our world-class coach before some other team snaffles him up.

The team's still young, the Eastern States fancy boys want to go back, the young up and coming guys need to be encouraged, some of them are really good, the membership numbers are going down [existing management will probably say something like "That was the best we could achieve !"] Try saying that in corporate life and see where you land up !

Lets see you all on here making it clear that the team needs strong leadership here and now !!!!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome aboard baldy.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome Baldy, that sounds like a few days saved up salvo, I like it

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    it worked well at the brumbies, they managed to offload a coach!

Apprentice
    vCash

John Mitchell Leadership Discussion continued

So has anyone noticed there is a national team that is starting to really perform based on leadership from a coach who has very few helpers and who gets on the pitch with the players ?

Interesting that when the player revolt at the Brumbies happened the Aussie coach went to New Zealand and was highly successful [and I don't think he changed his ways]. The former Waratahs coach [who's exit it appears the players may have had a hand in] is doing fine at Stade Francais as well !

We are mammals that function on leadership by dominant males [just like our relatives in the forest]. Imagine if they did it by consensus, the baboons would have eaten all the berries by now !!

Eureka Stockade and all that modern doing it by committee doesn't have much of a place in rugby. Look what we needed to do in the 90's to sort rugby out, we brought John O'Neil in. Look what happened to Aussie socker [got sorted out by John O'Neil and Frank Lowey]. Look what happened to Aussie rugby in the last couple of years [had to bring John O'Neil back]. There are many people who don't like him because he looks at the fundamentals and makes the hard decisions.

Thats what our coach does too. Are the players performing ? Are they facing up to their responsibilities ? Is management providing the support it should ? Are they good team players ? If he doesn't involve the coaches and the players in the decisions to the extent that they would like they should have that discussion with him. I never seem to struggle to get him to talk to me !

We need to hold on to the good resources that we do have and get right behind them. That way Pocock, Brown, O'Connor and the rest of our heroes will thrive and we'll win a lot of rugby games.

vCash
    the waratahs coach was outed by the inept board of club rugby elects tat ruin nsw rugby year in year out, the players complained about ewens negative tactics early in the season, but we were winning games, he did what he needed to with the cattle he had at the time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joondalup dave View Post
    i am sorry gigs i could not disagree with you more on this.
    although i am sure you are a top bloke!
    I never have a problem with people disagreeing Dave, each to their own. I was just saying IMHO this is likely not a challenge to Mitch's authority, just a way of managing the media hype.

I reckon this "committee" will simply be a forum for Mitch to tell his senior players 'this is how things are going to go this week' befor telling the rank and file. It shuts up the SMH by introducing a 'shared leadership structure' or whatever they want to call it and also makes Gits look like more of a dick if he doesn't stay at the Force......

Smoke and mirrors mate! If you have a different opinion please post some detail, these sort of discussions are fun, they make the off season disappear a litle quicker and I never take them pesonally, so I see it all as good clean honest fun!

C'mon the

vCash
    it has nothing to do with the media, it has to do with controlling senior players who think there bigger than the team.

lets face it, nathan sharpe was involved in speculation about staying in perth a few months back, now him and gits (who is also involved in speculation) are part of a committee. through in the ceo so he can pander to the players and avoid unrest. worthless gestures to apease up themselves players.

the brumbies did it and the inmates started running the asylum.

the only place were it has worked has been the sydney swans were i believe it was brought in because paul roos believed he was to young and not far enough removed from the playing group to disciplin them.

its just a cop out to make players think there more important than the cattle they are!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't disagree with much of this, but would observe that extremes are not sustainable situations. I don't think you can have a coach responsible for all aspects of the club without isolating him from the players and distracting his focus. As noted, Robbie Deans is out training with the players, so I am fairly sure he is not stressing over transport arrangements, standard of accommodation and player behaviour. Similarly though, you can't have the whole player group second guessing his every move. In the end, it comes down to what the responsibilities of Match Committee are, and I've not seen them defined anywhere. Everything is therefore speculation, but for mine the bellweather will be player selection.

And yes, it worked for the Brumbies in the year they bagged their coach - and since then....? We need a sustainable structure.

Apprentice
    vCash
    I like Gigs's sentiment that this is being done to assist John Mitchell. Its always good to be open-minded and to try see two sides of a discussion.

However, I don't think thats going to happen here. I am nervous we're at Armageddon because I have it on good authority that John is in danger of losing his job. AND, like him or not he has the skill and experience to build a young team.

If he goes, the calibre of what's left will relegate us to a team full of guys who couldn't get a job elsewhere and a club with massively diminished numbers that doesn't bother to turn up at Subiaco with the binoculars any more.

My fear is that the management by committee is in order to dilute John's involvement rather than facilitate the job for him. Scary times, I reckon !

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast