Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Troubled Western Force targets Matt Dunning

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Without Brownie and Shep there is no club spirit. We have to retain these 2 for the future of our club.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    why didn't they target greg holmes?..... forget dunning...

Player
    vCash
    hes a loosehead prop that has already signed for the reds recently

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Depends if he is focused on #8 I guess Cookie.
    He was originally a #7 and both the Tahs and Reds are in need of one of them in the next season or two.

After Pocock I see Brownie as our next most important retention for many reasons, but the reality is there .

Very keen to see Shep stay too. His career got a bit of a lifeline in WA, I reckon he would have gone to Europe by now the way things were going in Sydney if not for a fourth team allowing a new start.
    You wouldnt sign Browny to play 7, you would sign him to play either 6 or 8, and if McMenimen re-signs with the Reds(which he is apparently leaning towards) then there really isnt the need for Browny at the Reds

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    My guess is that they are looking for a local tight head so they can target an international 10 as the marquee. Personally, I would have thought an international front rower would be easier to find(?) and would represent a better investment in terms of what he can teach other players.

I don't much rate Dunning, but he would have to be a better investment than Holmes - when was the last time he wasn't injured? Seriously, go pinch some Eastern European rock out of France or England.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Browny will stay...will be sad to see Tai leave - he's been a warrior for us

Not that fussed on Castle leaving - he's a mercenary and was only gonna be here for a year...Bring on big Dunning - he'll be a great replacement (would prefer Baxter though)
    Castle has been sensational.
    Dunning is a good pick up.
    Great news.

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea View Post
    Without Brownie and Shep there is no club spirit. We have to retain these 2 for the future of our club.
    No point keeping them if they don't want to be here.
    If they are exploring options, cut em loose. We don't want another Gits fiasco.
    The plan was to bring some locals through. Plenty of locals as good as Brown was when he was first signed. Raw talent can be developed with elite coaching and professionalism and modern fitness training. Half the battle is achieving the fitness levels required.
    Not enough is being done to develop local players. Alarm bells are ringing. Someone better start listening or the bells will toll for the Force

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    You wouldnt sign Browny to play 7, you would sign him to play either 6 or 8, and if McMenimen re-signs with the Reds(which he is apparently leaning towards) then there really isnt the need for Browny at the Reds
    You'd be all over his signature like a cheap suit

Controversy corner

vCash
    Agree: Castle has been a good (albeit temporary) pick up - the wisdom he can pass on is priceless - which is especially desirable when looking to nurture and develop young talent. One of the good things to come out of being able to sign a marquee player is that although they may not stay for long, (hopefully) the knowledge they can pass on will stay long after thay bhave gone....

I reckon go for top forwards when it comes to recruiting marquee type players..

vCash
    If Donut has no other options, poosibly the Force wouldn't be a bad option, he sure has the experience to be able to pass on all the dirty tricks. We also haven't ever had a big prop, it might be nice to have some meat in the scrum. A big part of me says 'God No!' but I have an equal amount of beggars can't be choosers, and we're still a bit short in the front row.

It won't hurt to have a highly experienced incumbent for the young fellers to scramble over the top of for a spot!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, but if he comes here it will only be to try and regain Wallabies profile - his contract will almost certainly have a "play if fit" clause that young props won't be able to climb over.

vCash
    Not if we're his last resort

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Depend what you mean by last resort. I've not seen anything that says the 'Tahs are cutting him - the Force is apparently making him an offer. That gives him negotiating power over what NSW isn't offering him, which will be game time.

vCash
    By last resort I mean last chance to battle for game time.

I don't think Mitch Hardy is dumb enough to offer a walk up start to a prop with an achilles issue who is probably fifth or 6th on ANY team's list....surely our starters are better than THAT (either that or we're truly in the shit and we need him more than ever)

Matt would be well served by a stint at the Force, because he's behind a large number of very good, very fat people. He would be the only big prop at the force and could therefore ask the set piece questions which the incumbents have never had asked of them (ie sure you can make it to the breakdown, but can you push guys off the ball like this? or sure you can survive the scrum, but can you take this sort of pressure and turn it into a result)

Now I'm not saying Matt is the best guy to ask those questions of our props, but we need someone to do it, and he's likely to be available, cheap, and not cost us a marquee player spot!

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Makes sense to me. He should be cheap if he has any further Wallabies aspirations. I think the Force should target a marquee hooker if they don't get Polota-N. For a few seasons now we've had the so-called 'best backline in Oz' but it hasn't quite sparked. It's amazing what some go-forward ball from a dominant pack provides.

vCash
    it's hard for the pack to secure quick ball when the rucks alternate sidelines!
    Run to the left wing, clean out, run to the right wing, clean out, rinse and repeat!

C'mon the

vCash
    Donut is the standout prop in Sydney suburban rugby. He is an unstoppable beast against mere mortals. he is a far better player than he is given credit for. He would be an excellent pickup as long as he had a thorough medical. Huge guys with Achilles injuries have a bad track record on the come back trail

Controversy corner

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast