Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Zealand launches Pre-Emptive Strike in Rugby with new Tournament Format

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Only way I can see that working is if the derbies are played first as a separate comp - I just can't see the kiwis sitting still for it determining the make-up of the S15 finals, given what finals are worth to the hosts. The last few years the Chiefs and Brumbies have gone to the wire in round play. Can you imagine the prospect of their respective runs home then being the Tahs, Force, Reds and some 15th start-up, versus the Crusaders, Blues, Hurricanes and Highlanders. Then on last years form the Stormers make a run at it with the Bulls, Cheetahs and Lions...? Call that an even playing field!?!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Only way I can see that working is if the derbies are played first as a separate comp - I just can't see the kiwis sitting still for it determining the make-up of the S15 finals, given what finals are worth to the hosts. The last few years the Chiefs and Brumbies have gone to the wire in round play. Can you imagine the prospect of their respective runs home then being the Tahs, Force, Reds and some 15th start-up, versus the Crusaders, Blues, Hurricanes and Highlanders. Then on last years form the Stormers make a run at it with the Bulls, Cheetahs and Lions...? Call that an even playing field!?!
    since when is any tournament draw a even playing field?

Anyway the finals series is going to a 6 team final which should mitigate some of those issues.

vCash
    No it's not an even playing field - what it will do is boost the top 1 or 2 teams in each country, increasing the chances of each country (or "television market" if you prefer) being represented in the finals.

From what I read in the NZRU 'competition review' documents (yes I read them - I'm a sad person...) they are actually quite receptive to it, going as far as saying that they are presuming that's what will happen.

We'll see.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Right up until one of their teams misses out to a team that got big points by playing 3 teams in the bottom 5.

At least the current arrangement evens out over four years. That will never be the case when everyone plays domestically twice. Aside from us having to do an extra tour each year, are we sure that fifth team in Australia's group won't be based (or at least want to play matches) in Japan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    No it's not an even playing field - what it will do is boost the top 1 or 2 teams in each country, increasing the chances of each country (or "television market" if you prefer) being represented in the finals.

From what I read in the NZRU 'competition review' documents (yes I read them - I'm a sad person...) they are actually quite receptive to it, going as far as saying that they are presuming that's what will happen.

We'll see.
    i never said it was a even playing field, no sport competition is a even playing field..

Apprentice
    vCash

Arrow EXPAND BELOW THE SUPER 14 IS THE SOLUTION

Relegation and promotion for the Super 14 makes the Super 14 stronger.

Introducing a tournament below the Super 14 introduces new sponsors, new money and expands the player base.

vCash
    Relax, TOCC - I was agreeing with you

Expansion is not about "even-ness", developing the game or even improving the quality of rugby. It's about making sure that we don't lose all of our players to Europe. That's all it's about - pure and simple.

The kiwis might grumble that the extra games make it unfair but the sight of their Howletts, McCallisters and Evans-es running around up there is a far bigger motivator than any of that.

And yes, although it may not the most likely scenario, the 5th team in Australia's group may very well be based somewhere like Japan. But that's an argument for another day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Relegation and promotion for the Super 14 makes the Super 14 stronger.

Introducing a tournament below the Super 14 introduces new sponsors, new money and expands the player base.
    that will never happen, at least not in the next 15-20years.

There just is not enough money in the game to fund two competitions, definetly not with promotion-relegation either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3