Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: state of western australia club rugby.

Champion
    vCash
    Spend time and money on building club culture and loyalty ( getting tougher each year). A mix of imports and local is a good thing. Develope coaches and ask them to be challenged as Premier grade hopefuls are from week to week. Throwing brickbast at Refs is easy to do, encourage younger guys to be a ref and ask boofheads ranting from the sideline to have a go at blowing the whistle. Het on the case of our local media and ask them how it is Rugby Union has no mention in the Sunday Paper - Lacrose, Hockey etc all do?? Today the West ran an article on league - I thought Union has a bigger readership base than League??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
    To the Oracle

I am no Soaks fan, but where is your evidence in you statement

"Maoris and Islanders need not apply"

Big call mate- substantiate
    Was very funny, Soaks played ARKS the following week after the recruitment add was placed and got spanked by ARKS Islanders, Pakeha and Maori New Zealanders. Great game.

Big call mate - no, not really......most people know about it in rugby circles and it add's to the WARU character......love beating Soaks at Allen park, dosn't happen very often, they're a very strong rugby club, but when you do...... boy it's a great feeling driving your shitty falcon or camery past all those BMW's, Merk's, Audi's and Volvo's in that top carpark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by w.a rugbyfan View Post
    going to the ref situation.

ecky are you a school teacher by any chance? you never seem to take constuctive or any form of critsisum well.

there has been alot of people on here that have said the same things as me. i dont know you or maybe havent seen you ref before so dont take it personally.

you could tho explain to us what you have been told by rugby wa about the advantage laws? and also what is your take on the new law on moving away from the tackle situation once you have tackled someone.

we trained for this for about a month every session 20 mins or so. and for what? you guys pick and chose when you use this law. if someone asks you a question in the game i bet you think next time ill give a pen for not rolling away?

again all not on the same page.
    Not a school teacher at all.........far from it! Although my brother was a teacher for a while, but I don't think that counts. I'd like to have been an editor or proof reader but.

Were I a school teacher I might pick you up on how to spell criticism but, as I am not, I shall refrain.

In the meantime, as far as I can see, there's not a lot of constructive criticism of referees in this forum. Criticism yes, constructive no; it is mainly bitching and moaning about how rubbish they are as a collective group - whether we look at internationals, S14 or local. Perhaps if you could offer some constructive criticism at some stage.....

Also, I do not take any of it personally. Really. I merely put the alternative perspective as an active referee.

Further; there is no new law about rolling away. It has always been in law. Well, not always, but for the past several years. If you'd like my take on it: in previous seasons it has been the case that, provided the person on the ground (tackler or tackled player) has no material effect on the contest for the ball, while he (or she) is liable to penalty, there is no need to penalise. In more recent times it has been desirable to clear the tackle area completely, so every player off their feet near the ball needs to clear it. They need to show the referee that they are making every effort to roll away or somehow move away from the tackle area. This starts with the tackler (if there is one - you can refer to the law about what constitutes a tackler).

In relation to your bet: I bet you that, if anyone asks me the question about it, I will still penalise them if they don't roll away. I tell the captains prior to the match that there might even be some times when the folk on the ground cannot roll away because there are other bodies or legs or feet in the way but they will still get penalised. That is rare but it can happen.

I personally don't pick and choose, other than whether or not there is a contest for the ball. If the tackle comes, the arriving players (usually 6, 7 or 8) clear out the opposition and the ball is available for the attacking team to play, then we shall play on. If it is a dominant tackle and the loosies are ineffective, or even if the tackler's loosies do their job well and the tackled player does not move, he/she shall be penalised (after playing advantage, of course).

And, finally, I choose not to explain what has been discussed about the advantage law, save to point out that maybe you should read what the law actually says, and whom is the sole judge of whether advantage has been gained or not. No, actually, I shall go a bit further; it is most likely that the ref will allow more time for advantage to manifest itself if the sanction is a penalty than if it were a scrum.

I am often fascinated by how much the players thinks they know the laws and it is very common that, the more they talk about them, the less they obviously know. Some of you dear readers might make the same observations about the referee but hey, refer to the law about who is right during a game

You shall find that I often respond to posts while my tongue is in my cheek. I hope you take my posts in the spirit they are intended. If not then the problem is yours, not mine.

vCash

I am often fascinated by how much the players thinks they know the laws and it is very common that, the more they talk about them, the less they obviously know.

Great point. I am perplexed as a player and fan at the lack of knowledge of the laws of this game by so called fans and players of the game.

Also pissed idiots on the sidelines and in the stands are right up there along with the so called expert commentators as well.

Once again great point Ecky.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    This thread has been split - for those that want to continue on topic, please do so. For those that want to continue the pissing contest, an aptly named thread has been created here and posts moved.

as you were...

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Not a school teacher at all.........far from it! Although my brother was a teacher for a while, but I don't think that counts. I'd like to have been an editor or proof reader but.

Were I a school teacher I might pick you up on how to spell criticism but, as I am not, I shall refrain.

In the meantime, as far as I can see, there's not a lot of constructive criticism of referees in this forum. Criticism yes, constructive no; it is mainly bitching and moaning about how rubbish they are as a collective group - whether we look at internationals, S14 or local. Perhaps if you could offer some constructive criticism at some stage.....

Also, I do not take any of it personally. Really. I merely put the alternative perspective as an active referee.

Further; there is no new law about rolling away. It has always been in law. Well, not always, but for the past several years. If you'd like my take on it: in previous seasons it has been the case that, provided the person on the ground (tackler or tackled player) has no material effect on the contest for the ball, while he (or she) is liable to penalty, there is no need to penalise. In more recent times it has been desirable to clear the tackle area completely, so every player off their feet near the ball needs to clear it. They need to show the referee that they are making every effort to roll away or somehow move away from the tackle area. This starts with the tackler (if there is one - you can refer to the law about what constitutes a tackler).

In relation to your bet: I bet you that, if anyone asks me the question about it, I will still penalise them if they don't roll away. I tell the captains prior to the match that there might even be some times when the folk on the ground cannot roll away because there are other bodies or legs or feet in the way but they will still get penalised. That is rare but it can happen.

I personally don't pick and choose, other than whether or not there is a contest for the ball. If the tackle comes, the arriving players (usually 6, 7 or 8) clear out the opposition and the ball is available for the attacking team to play, then we shall play on. If it is a dominant tackle and the loosies are ineffective, or even if the tackler's loosies do their job well and the tackled player does not move, he/she shall be penalised (after playing advantage, of course).

And, finally, I choose not to explain what has been discussed about the advantage law, save to point out that maybe you should read what the law actually says, and whom is the sole judge of whether advantage has been gained or not. No, actually, I shall go a bit further; it is most likely that the ref will allow more time for advantage to manifest itself if the sanction is a penalty than if it were a scrum.

I am often fascinated by how much the players thinks they know the laws and it is very common that, the more they talk about them, the less they obviously know. Some of you dear readers might make the same observations about the referee but hey, refer to the law about who is right during a game

You shall find that I often respond to posts while my tongue is in my cheek. I hope you take my posts in the spirit they are intended. If not then the problem is yours, not mine.

ok ecky. i have played at a high standard of rugby. im 28 years old and have been playing semi pro rugby for 10 years.

i know my stuff i know the laws and i know my way around them. i have also reffed for my local club back in england. junior rugby up to the age of 16. i have done my refs course for this so i know what the score is.

now just talk me through this. as a player is tackled we have been told or my coachs have been told that you must release the tackled player and roll away. this is fine and i have no issue with this.

what it does create is 2 very diff situations for players with a bit more savy about them who think during the game. if you have to release the tackled player what is then stopping that player from getting straight back to his feet and running of as the tackler is not held?

also. if the tackle is made you can then get back on to your feet in any part of the pitch to regain or fight for the ball as there is then no offside line. a ruck constitutes 1 player from each side and then there is competition for the ball. is this not correct?

im not trying to angle at your skills. you could be the best ref in w.a but i would like to know what you think about this.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    now just talk me through this. as a player is tackled we have been told or my coachs have been told that you must release the tackled player and roll away. this is fine and i have no issue with this.

what it does create is 2 very diff situations for players with a bit more savy about them who think during the game. if you have to release the tackled player what is then stopping that player from getting straight back to his feet and running of as the tackler is not held?

also. if the tackle is made you can then get back on to your feet in any part of the pitch to regain or fight for the ball as there is then no offside line. a ruck constitutes 1 player from each side and then there is competition for the ball. is this not correct?

im not trying to angle at your skills. you could be the best ref in w.a but i would like to know what you think about this.
    I would like to have a go at answering this question.

The ball carrier that is tackled and brought to the ground must release the ball.

If he does so and can regain his feet and then pick up the ball he is free to do so, but I would like to think that your team mates would have some say in this matter.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    ok ecky. i have played at a high standard of rugby. im 28 years old and have been playing semi pro rugby for 10 years.

i know my stuff i know the laws and i know my way around them.
    These are very big statements. You are, from what I have seen, in a very small minority if you play club rugby in WA. I have no doubt in my mind that you currently play for a Premier Grade team. Most probably as captain, if not forwards leader. (Sadly, when I played 1st grade, it was amateur...)

Well that's terrific that you have no issue with this! The law actually requires the tackler (if indeed there is tackler, for, as you know, there can be a tackle without there being a tackler) to "get up or move away from the tackled player at once" - But then you already know this stuff if you know your laws and your way around them. Not sure why I'm responding, now I come to think of it... Anyhoo:

I don't really get what you're saying about 2 very diff situations, sorry. Back to the tackle law: You will already know what constitutes a tackled player. You will, then, already know that the law requires that player to do one of three things. None of those three things are getting back to his feet and running off, unless he has put the ball down before he got to his feet. If he held onto it then he has contravened the law and a penalty kick shall be awarded against him.

It is basically correct. Sort of. Again, your opening 2 paragraphs make me wonder why you ask these things, but here goes: Provided there is a tackle, then the tackler (if there is one) must do his/her thing (mentioned above) and the the tackled player must do his/her thing (also mentioned above). Then, provided it is still a tackle (ie hasn't developed into a ruck), then those players in these categories may approach the ball from any direction, provided they are on their feet.

A ruck is not quite as you described insofaras what constitues a ruck is at least one player from each team (on their feet) in contact with each other over the ball, which is on the ground.

I do hope this has helped to clarify something that you claim to already know.

I also hope you appreciate my refraining to comment on your grammar, however appalling it might be

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    insofaras is a strange word Ecky, used to be four words in my day,but who am i to comment on grammar?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Insofaras?

Argentinean hooker?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Insofaras?

Argentinean hooker?
    never met her TG

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I would like to have a go at answering this question.

The ball carrier that is tackled and brought to the ground must release the ball.

If he does so and can regain his feet and then pick up the ball he is free to do so, but I would like to think that your team mates would have some say in this matter.
    Spot on! Sorry - I was busy typing my response while you already posted.

That is entirely correct for that phase of the tackle/post tackle. Good work - keep it up!

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    insofaras is a strange word Ecky, used to be four words in my day,but who am i to comment on grammar?
    Yes. Whom indeed?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Insofaras?

Argentinean hooker?
    I thought it was a Palestinian Cricketer

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Every fan of our game should go out and buy this book. My opinion, the best book I own.

Treat it like a bible, keep it in your bedside drawer and read a bit of it each night.

vCash
    Insofaras?

Argentinean hooker?
    No - I am fairly sure Patricio Insofaras is the Argentinian no 10 being pursued by Mitch Hardy

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3