Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Rebels shut down by Rugby Australia after 14 seasons

vCash
    I feel pretty bad for the true Rebs rugby fans, staff and players.

But not so much for Rebelsman…. he can go eat a bag of di@ks!

schadenfreude indeed! 😉

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A dedicated hour special on Stan.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    If you're talking about their "admin" I'll admit to that. Supporters, players & staff not so. We've been there and it's pretty devastating. Especially us dual coders who've been through this grinder twice.
    Agreed
    My comment is firmly aimed at the KC

But for fans players and coaches -is an awful situation

vCash
    I still think that Aus rugby has a brighter future with 5 teams, the problem isn't the number of teams it's the amount of rugby being played at a high level.

That being said, the rebels administration is a cancer that should have been cut out of rugby in 2015 and much of the cause of our current financial state. I would express gratitude for this new fiscally responsible attitude if it was being extended similarly to the Tahs. (Get your house in order or there's the door) But it isn't.

C'mon the

vCash
    After watching Stan's program last night - or before that really - the thing that strikes me most is the lunacy of the Rebels board thinking that their "proposal" is remotely reasonable. I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping something better can be put together when/if the western suburbs proposals are actually nearing completion. At the moment there is nothing there but hot air. They either can't supply any evidence of funding or people involved in the proposed development plans wont back what they are claiming. And to boggle minds even further, they are asking for extra forward RA funding to keep this shipwreck floating a little longer.

We are extremely fortunate that AF was committed enough to provide a platform to keep a Force heartbeat going while we were out. Instead of threatening disastrously harmful litigation these "business hotshots" should take a humility pill and try to nut out something to do likewise. I don't know the legalities but I suspect GIGS might be right. The whole charade was just an effort to escape personal liability for illegalities.

This is a timely reminder that WA Rugby supporters need to start showing up at HBF or we might go through this again as well.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I still think that Aus rugby has a brighter future with 5 teams, the problem isn't the number of teams it's the amount of rugby being played at a high level.
    When you have Tizzano (deservedly) playing 987 minutes of Pro Rugby and counting for the season and Callan 65 minutes, there is definitely a problem. White 786', IFL 388' and Robertson 57' (Prior 19'). Callan and Robertson aren't being "developed" with less than a match per year.

If permanent then I think they need to expand the Squads and have a 2nd XV or U20 XV every Round as Curtain Raiser.
    My vision for match day has for a long time seen every Round as 2nd XV-Womens-SR.
    If not able to float the full comp, then a Selection XV playing the RWA Premier Bye Club on our Home matches and earlier in the year when Premier hasn't started, get the Perth Spirit re-instated with local players.

You can't just have Pro players sitting in the stands and there seems little intent for many to be playing for Clubs anymore.
    Obviously that would be the better avenue, lifting the standard of the entire RWA Premier comp... but yeah...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    When you have Tizzano (deservedly) playing 987 minutes of Pro Rugby and counting for the season and Callan 65 minutes, there is definitely a problem. White 786', IFL 388' and Robertson 57' (Prior 19'). Callan and Robertson aren't being "developed" with less than a match per year.

If permanent then I think they need to expand the Squads and have a 2nd XV or U20 XV every Round as Curtain Raiser.
    My vision for match day has for a long time seen every Round as 2nd XV-Womens-SR.
    If not able to float the full comp, then a Selection XV playing the RWA Premier Bye Club on our Home matches and earlier in the year when Premier hasn't started, get the Perth Spirit re-instated with local players.

You can't just have Pro players sitting in the stands and there seems little intent for many to be playing for Clubs anymore.
    Obviously that would be the better avenue, lifting the standard of the entire RWA Premier comp... but yeah...
    At the last members pre-game session Hodgo mentioned getting more than 8 home games per year is a part of his new job and a priority for him.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    At the last members pre-game session Hodgo mentioned getting more than 8 home games per year is a part of his new job and a priority for him.
    Assume including non-SR Steve, or he was implying extension of SR season?
    A full H&A given the numbers now is the only meaningful outcome.
    In the Stan coverage last night Morgs was saying Pasifika will definitely be in next year, but 2026 is shaky.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Assume including non-SR Steve, or he was implying extension of SR season?
    I got the impression it was non-SR but of a suitable standard for the players on the books. Perhaps the Cheetahs series gives a hint - good standard and it gave the broader squad valuable match experience.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    I got the impression it was non-SR but of a suitable standard for the players on the books. Perhaps the Cheetahs series gives a hint - good standard and it gave the broader squad valuable match experience.
    Sweet. It is a very long period without supporter engagement from the end of SR to the start of the next season, particularly given historically so few taken away to International duties.
    Not sure how much happened with the Cheetahs, but I would be angling for engagement with the touring side on their strengths, for instance with the Cheetahs a session on rolling mauls etc.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    After watching Stan's program last night - or before that really - the thing that strikes me most is the lunacy of the Rebels board thinking that their "proposal" is remotely reasonable. I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping something better can be put together when/if the western suburbs proposals are actually nearing completion. At the moment there is nothing there but hot air. They either can't supply any evidence of funding or people involved in the proposed development plans wont back what they are claiming. And to boggle minds even further, they are asking for extra forward RA funding to keep this shipwreck floating a little longer.

We are extremely fortunate that AF was committed enough to provide a platform to keep a Force heartbeat going while we were out. Instead of threatening disastrously harmful litigation these "business hotshots" should take a humility pill and try to nut out something to do likewise. I don't know the legalities but I suspect GIGS might be right. The whole charade was just an effort to escape personal liability for illegalities.

This is a timely reminder that WA Rugby supporters need to start showing up at HBF or we might go through this again as well.
    Yep, agreed with all that mate.

My hope would be that those pulling the strings on the Melbourne side get cockblocked (is there a female equivalent?) before litigation starts and they get kicked to the curb.
    There is clearly personal interest (financial protection) behind many of the drivers for the Rebels to stay and this needs to be very demonstrably removed from those supporters with a passion for Rugby generally and Victorian Rugby specifically for any future to be taken seriously.
    Those who have been responsible at Board and Corporate levels for the state the Rebels find themselves have failed miserably and need to step aside from the Code for a considerable cooling off period.

I do like the gist of the "Western Model", perhaps combined with a one off per season either at AAMI Park, South Melbourne FC's Lakeside Stadium (12,000 cap) or further down the SE Corridor to Dandenong where there is a couple of smaller rectangular options.
    While the Western Model referenced a growing Pasifika population, the reality of the current Victorian Dewar Shield Clubs is they are Central to SE Melbourne, with zero presence to the West of the CBD (Footscray is arguably, as is just West of North, but still 24kms away from the proposed new home of the Rebels...).
    Three Premier (ie 2nd Tier) Clubs do surround the proposed Tarneit Stadium and urban development, with Wyndham 7.5km SE, Brimbank 13.5km ENE and Melton 16km North.
    There are currently only eight teams in the Dewar Shield.
    A proposal that includes a commitment to local Rugby and potentially partnering with Wyndham, Brimbank and Melton as feeder teams to a Tarneit Regional selection representing the Melbourne NW in the Dewar Shield may possibly be favourably looked at.
    To be at Tarneit, despite the stated increasing Pasifika population, will definitely create geographical isolation to traditional Rebels supporters in the SE Corridor, particularly with those aligned to Moorabbin and Endevour Hills in Dewar and regional sporting hub Casey in Premier, some 70kms away (straight line, probably 95-100km by road allowing for the Bay).
    It does, however, bring in Geelong, becoming only 34kms from proposed Home fixtures and possibly a fourth feeder for the Tarneit Regional selection concept.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    When you have Tizzano (deservedly) playing 987 minutes of Pro Rugby and counting for the season and Callan 65 minutes, there is definitely a problem. White 786', IFL 388' and Robertson 57' (Prior 19'). Callan and Robertson aren't being "developed" with less than a match per year.If permanent then I think they need to expand the Squads and have a 2nd XV or U20 XV every Round as Curtain Raiser.My vision for match day has for a long time seen every Round as 2nd XV-Womens-SR.If not able to float the full comp, then a Selection XV playing the RWA Premier Bye Club on our Home matches and earlier in the year when Premier hasn't started, get the Perth Spirit re-instated with local players.You can't just have Pro players sitting in the stands and there seems little intent for many to be playing for Clubs anymore.Obviously that would be the better avenue, lifting the standard of the entire RWA Premier comp... but yeah...
    Not to de-emphasize anything you're saying Burgs, and while playing premier rugby is, at least, playing rugby they need a higher level of competition, our first squad don't play enough rugby, imagine what it's like for a fringe player who either has to play his rugby at a level that isn't challenging him to improve or play no rugby and just hit the gym. Neither situation prepares him for 1st class professional rugby.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not to de-emphasize anything you're saying Burgs, and while playing premier rugby is, at least, playing rugby they need a higher level of competition, our first squad don't play enough rugby, imagine what it's like for a fringe player who either has to play his rugby at a level that isn't challenging him to improve or play no rugby and just hit the gym. Neither situation prepares him for 1st class professional rugby.
    I think they call that "furious agreement"
    Just giving a Plan B as it seems Plan A (3rd Tier) isn't going to be happening.
    Though the demise of Rebels should be an consideration to have an 8 team 3rd Tier with two feeding into each SR Franchise, with Force taking Melbourne...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    They can just go play Shute Shield that NSW thinks is the third tier.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    ...an 8 team 3rd Tier with two feeding into each SR Franchise, with Force taking Melbourne...
    If the third tier is reliant at all on the second tier, then it is completely doomed to failure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast