Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Richard Brown one of 10 Force Stars in WA Club Action

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Hmmm... I think i need to pick a club side to support, any suggestions?
    Rocko coz we grow our OWN superstars!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Swee you come down to Baysies and enjoy the day then you decide for yourself

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I used to play for them as a kid.
    I thought you were a bit warped,,,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I thought you were a bit warped,,,
    I played a season with Bayswater as well so that may be part of it too.

Last edited by BLR; 12-06-08 at 23:57.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    God, you poor sod, you're stuffed....

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    any neddies fans in here?
    been involved with the club for the past 30 years,so I suppose that qualifies

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think that qualifies you as a supporter rather than a fan BG

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Swee, (and others) head to RugbyWA and find select a club, check out the map, find which club is closest to where you live or intend to live long term and pick them to support through thick and thin!
    In my eyes this is a local comp, it's about grass roots support and supporters and walking down to the Clubhouse to watch.
    I think as we continue to get more aspiring professionals in WA every Club will have its time in the sun and where is the fun in supporting the dominant team (ie Crusaders syndrome).
    Local comps are about sharing highs and lows with your mates.

Otherwise get yourself hated by the banjo players and support Neddies or Soaks

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Swee, go down to Palmyra..Best clubhouse in Perth.Always a friendly welcome and atmosphere..Cold beer and good views after the game.. You might even get to see that fine looking fulvio fella... Or you will certainly HEAR him...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    any neddies fans in here?
    Oh, me me me *hand up*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goony View Post
    he played against us last year 2nd round and barely made a mark on the game... but his game has come leaps and bounds since then and im sure he will be wanting to perform to better his chances of wallabies selection. but as pieter said, baysie wont back down!! just ask neddies

There is no better proof that rugby is a team game, than to put a star into a club team. It is very rare that the star player makes a major impact, unless he happens to score a couple of freak tries.

Take Drew Mitchell's game for Kalamunda against Perth-Bayswater earlier in the season. The game was close, the Bulls won it thanks to a solid team effort and although Mitchell scored a classy try, he didn't really shake the game up a lot. Players like long standing wing/fullback Deon Berryman did more in the game to create the win than Mitchell.

It's great to have the Force players turning out for the clubs but it's their profile that gives the teams greater value than their playing skills, admirable though those might be.

Last edited by rick boyd; 13-06-08 at 10:28. Reason: typo

vCash
    Here's my preview for the weekend:

In an astonishing reversal of fortunes for both clubs, Wanneroo occupies pole position when they meet Nedlands at Kingsway on Saturday in the Rugby WA club competition, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

For the first time in decades there are none of the established western suburbs clubs in the top four, with eastern club Kalamunda leading the pack, premiers Perth-Bayswater and Wanneroo following from the northern suburbs, and southern club Rockingham filling fourth position.

Wanneroo’s startling renaissance in the 2008 season has seen the club shoot up the rankings from wooden spooners last year to currently sit in third position. Along the way the northern club has compiled six wins and four losses, accounting for Cottesloe twice, Associates, Wests-Subiaco, University and Palmyra; thumping fourth-placed Rockingham by a resounding 55-11, and putting 38 points on competition leaders Kalamunda. Premiership-winning Perth-Bayswater coach John ‘JT’ Taylor described Wanneroo as the toughest competition of the year after their close round nine encounter.

Wanneroo’s success has been based around a big forward pack and a powerful, percentage game, with flankers Fa’atu Saiumu and Adam Pine and veteran prop Michael Johnston in top form. The back line has featured too, with flyhalf Ollie Vines excelling and young fullback Troy Doughty dangerous with the boot anywhere near the goal posts.

Western Force players will have a significant impact on this game with four of the ten released for club duty this week appearing in this fixture. Centre Junior Pelesasa and halfback Chris O’Young will be appearing in the green of white for Wanneroo, while centre Haig Sare and hooker Luke Holmes will be turning out in Nedlands’ royal blue strip.

The reinforcements come at the right time for Wanneroo, with centres Palei Masili and Dominic Hitchcock injured, Western Force lock Sitaleki Timani out with a hamstring problem and prop Toby Foster doubtful with a calf injury.

“We’ve got a very strong forward pack. We can cover prop without too much disruption,” Wanneroo president Leon Davies said.

“But with the backs, there’s so many options now, and we need to fill that centre position. If we have Chris O and Junior it gives us opportunities to move a few players around.”

Davies maintains that last year’s miserable showing was deceptive and the seeds of success were being sewn in adversity.

“We’ve been playing very similar patterns to last year, but we’ve got a bit more size and the team is an awful lot fitter,” Davies said.

“This time last season we had about eight players out with injury but being fitter this year has cut down on that.”

Wanneroo will not be resting on their laurels after making the top four. The club has big plans to reach the top, and stay there.

“The feeling is very upbeat,” Davies said.
    “To go from where we have been to where we are, we’re obviously very pleased, but whether we make the finals or not, it’s about building momentum.

“Every player we have this year bar one will be with us next year. It’s part of a three-year plan to win the premiership.

“We’ve developed our academy program, and our focus over the next three to four years is to develop the juniors and develop the home grown talent, now that we have a first grade team for them to aspire to.”

Long term planning aside, the club’s focus is fixed firmly on continuing Nedlands’ woes this Saturday.

“It’ll be a very tight game,” Davies predicted.

“They tend to play a fast game away from the base of the scrum. It’ll be a strong tussle in the forwards, and whoever wins the possession will be able to play the patterns that get them the result.

“We’ll just keep our heads down and do the hard yards.”

Nedlands were minor premiers and red hot favourites to win the title last year but fell at the final hurdle. Losing their ace back row over the summer, Nedlands under coach Tony Ball have proved to be vulnerable in 2008 with five wins and five losses, going down to Kalamunda, Associates, Wests-Subiaco, Rockingham and Perth-Bayswater to slide to fifth place in the competition.

However, Neddies are unlikely to be claiming the underdog tag just yet, after defeating Wanneroo 37-11 in round two and maintaining a good mix of forwards and backs, including blockbusting number eight Tyson Takiari, quality half pairing of Alvin Lau and Nathan Roberts, flyers Harry Cogin and hot young former colt Barry Mansfield on the wings, and the elusive Zane Houia at fullback.

Nedlands defeated Perth-Bayswater in round one, and three of the losses have been by four points or less. Missing just one finals series in two decades, Nedlands will continue to be approached with caution by all other teams in the competition.

In other games, premiers Perth-Bayswater should continue Cottesloe’s frustrating season with a solid win at Pat O’Hara Reserve, fourth-placed Rockingham will be expecting the points after they meet Palmyra at Tompkins Park, frontrunners Kalamunda will be on their guard against a competitive Wests-Subiaco at Rosalie Park, and sixth-placed Associates will be counting on repeating their round two success against University at home at Allen Park.

vCash
    Where do you live?

vCash
    South Perth

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Palmyra it is then ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast