Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The disgrace of uncontested scrums

vCash
    P53, I think you're being a little hard on yourself (or trying to, most have compassion, it's just buried beneath thick skin). Generally I see front rowers as being very fair with young oppersition.
    Most of the props I've come across (played/coached against I mean!) will wait to see if the young fella wants to be a dick, give him a reminder of where they are, then settle into keeping the scrum strong and safe. That's the best way for young props to learn how to be strong, square and well bound. The boring, popping, squeezing, nutting stuff comes later.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Correct me if I am wrong here please.

I think being in the front row is the only place on the field that experience will still beat youth.

Pace is something that goes quickly with age and an ageing back will be out paced by a younger back no problems.

At least in the front row you can use the experience you have gained over all the years of being in it still. Gotta get an advantage some where when we start to get a bit older.

"Youth and ability are no match for age and treachery"

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    in general all the young ones act like dicks think they are stronger better etc then the old ones, its always a sad hard lesson for them to learn and it hurts too.

0 Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    I think being in the front row is the only place on the field that experience will still beat youth.[/B]
    Tell that to any of the kids that have tried their luck against Mortlock...

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    I totally agree with the idea of losing a player if you cannot find a suitable substitute upfront, but we also need to look at some clubs where other lower grades are playing at other venues, so you can't rely on them for reserves incase of an accident...
    Maybe refs should be able to make the call if they feel the rule is being abused...
    Fulvio, you and mickle are kind old souls, i too have gone to pack in and noticed a stickfigure packing against me and have had to ask if he had played as a prop before, and i believe the answer was something like "oh yeah, in under 13's and 14's" and i have realised he was a bloody idiot and made a concious effort not to smash the dickhead... After the first scrum we called for uncontested as it was apparent that the said stick/dickhead wasn't quite up to the challenge, even with us going soft on him...Jeez we of the frontrow bretheren are kind hearted souls when we have to be, i wonder if santa played up front....

0 Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, he certainly wasn't a fullback! I'm sure it is no accident he opted for 8 beasts to drag him around the world.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Tell that to any of the kids that have tried their luck against Mortlock...
    Mate I'm talking when you're playing in the lower grades and your speed days are over. Put Mortlock on a paddock when his best days are past him and a young quick back will have it all over him. No experience can beat genuine pace when yours is gone.

I just meant that when we do get a bit older and we play in the lower grades at least the front row boys can still use their experience over a young pup who is learning the art and maybe playing in the front row against them.

It seems like the only position on the team where experience will beat youth.

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3