Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Western Force Win Aussie Grand Slam!

vCash
    Oops my bad! I thought I heard Kearns say that Shep was MOM. Well, he can be my MOM!

Staniforth played really well, was unlucky with that stupid ref call. *grrr*

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TraceTrace View Post
    Oops my bad! I thought I heard Kearns say that Shep was MOM. Well, he can be my MOM!

Staniforth played really well, was unlucky with that stupid ref call. *grrr*

What you sure kearnsy didnt say Lote.....Im sure hes the president of the Lote fan club..

well done stanners was mom

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I'll have to grab this game, then I will have all 3 for a 2009 Grand Slam set.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    So need to see a replay, but...

Yay!!! Great night for the Force- from where we were sitting they almost looked shocked when they kicked the ball out. Laura and I couldn't look after they turned the ball over after the siren. We're probably all going to catch pneumonia from standing in the rain after the game and my throat hurts so much from screaming (had alot of stupid tahs fans to scream over the top of) but it's safe to say a fun night was had by all.

Now I'm back at home with the olds telling me how noone deserved to win- it's killing my buzz!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post

Now I'm back at home with the olds telling me how noone deserved to win- it's killing my buzz!!!
    These are the people who sent you a full Tahs outfit.

vCash

Western Force escapes with one-point win over Waratahs

Enjoyed Nick's take on Drews disallowed try...

Nick Taylor, rugby writer

April 18, 2009 08:10pm
    REFEREES, like little children - so the age old saying goes, should be seen and not heard.

But while that might be unfair on little kids, it is only too true when the whistle blower has an unfortunate influence on a game.

It is not politically correct to blame a referee and the Western Force would have been biting their collective tongues after being on the wrong side of several harsh decisions by James Leckie - and one by a touch judge - that could easily have cost them this Australian Super 14 derby against the NSW Waratahs.

Fortunately they held their nerve after last week's heartbreaking loss and were on the right side of a 15-14 win.

Captain Nathan Sharpe, who can look perplexed with official decisions at the best of times, was even more confused when talking to Leckie.

Before Saturday night, the Force had only racked up one away win in four seasons against Australian sides and never beaten the Waratahs.

But they completed the clean sweep of all three derbies in a win Sharpe described as a `slugfest'.

"We'll take one (point)," he said.

"The previous two Australian sides we've played we've put a few tries on the board. I thought we were unlucky not to get a couple more tonight.

"It went down right down to the wire."

Both sides showed early that they were prepared to go wide with the Force holding the upper hand in both territory and possession.

They showed a real willingness to play a high tempo and often enterprising game against a `Tahs side that has been criticised for its boring style this season.

And they deservedly had the early opportunities.

Firstly James O'Connor went despairingly close after just three minutes, being forced into touch on the corner flag after a scintillating run.

Then a few minutes later just about everyone in the Sydney Football Stadium thought Drew Mitchell, following up a Scott Staniforth kick, had scored - that was until the touch judge, while staring at the heavens, somehow decided the Force winger had touched the white line when there was clearly green showing.

But it was the Waratahs who squeezed ahead with three Daniel Halangahu penalties, a couple being pretty contentious, in the first 30 minutes before Matt Giteau pulled one back before half time.

There was similar a tale of refereeing woe for the Force in the opening minutes of the second half.

With a possible three points on offer the Force took a quick tap, spread the ball wide and as Richard Brown crossed for a try out wide he was pulled back for a forward pass - that clearly wasn't.

The first try came on 50 minutes when Cameron Shepherd called Josh Valentine to chip through and he raced onto the beautifully weighted ball to touch down. Giteau converted.

Almost immediately though second row Will Caldwell, returning from the bin after 10 minutes for a high shot on Valentine, put the 'Tahs back ahead with a try. Unconverted.

But the killer blow came with 15 minutes left.

A neat, swift passing move utilising a couple of dummy runners saw man-of-the-match Staniforth smash his way into the corner.

Giteau's conversion attempt hit the upright. Fortunately it was not crucial at the end of the night.

Coach John Mitchell said after the game: "There's plenty of blood and guts, stitches and ice packs around but nothing comes free in life. You have to work hard for success.

"The guys were pretty honest with themselves at half time.

"They knew they hardly had a sweat on them and they went out their and worked hard.

"They showed as lot of character after the disappointment of last week.''

He said the breakdown and its control was 'an absolute' mess, the closest he would come to any criticism of the officials.

"We're clearly an attack focussed team and trying to score teams but that was the most boring gme I've seen at the breakdown."

He praised halfback Josh Valentine saying: "He was terrific. He was clearly on top of his game tonight and he's getting better with each game."

And his praise of Staniforth's try was equally glowing: "A beautiful finish,'' he said

vCash

Force deny the Waratahs

Australia's hopes of having a team in the Super 14 semi-finals took another step backwards on Saturday when the Western Force beat the Waratahs 15-14 at the Sydney Football Stadium. (Personally, I am insulted by this line. Why should the Tahds be the only Australian team in finals?)

Tries from wings Scott Staniforth and Cameron Shepherd proved to be enough for the visitors to win a stale Aussie derby. The result gives the Force a 'grand slam' of wins over Australian opposition this year as the Waratahs slumped to their second home defeat in as many weeks.

In the category for "most boring team in the Super 14" the nominations are: The Waratahs, the Waratahs and the Waratahs. The team from Sydney tried to play with a little more enterprise against the Force, but failed to make much of an impression. It was a welcome sight to see Lote Tuqiri getting his hands on the ball more than once every half-an-hour, but a leopard doesn't change his spots overnight, and the Waratahs struggled to reinvent themselves.

The home side will be terribly frustrated with the number of opportunities to score they let slip as far too many passes went to ground.

The Force had obviously been doing their homework and took a page out of the Bulls textbook, keeping the Waratahs pinned in their own half as much as possible.

The Waratahs would have considered themselves a touch lucky to be leading 6-0 after twenty minutes thanks to two penalties from fly-half Daniel Halangahu. The Force had done most of the early playing and had twice been denied a sure try by narrow touchline decisions (in fact the visitors could have felt rather hard done by when Scott Staniforth chipped ahead for Drew Mitchell and was called back, even though he wasn't out).

The Western Australians would have been livid when Halangahu was given a third chance to kick at goal. Three marginal decisions at the ruck had gone against the Force, leaving them trailing 9-0 after half an hour.

Matt Giteau reduced the lead with a well-taken kick after Phil Waugh broke off the scrum too early. Cameron Shepherd had a chance to further reduce the lead from long range on the stroke of half time when Will Caldwell was sent to the sin-bin for a high tackle, but the winger's effort sailed wide.

So the teams headed for a drink and a pep-talk with the 'Tahs 9-3 up.

The home side did well to dominate the early stages of the second half, despite being a man down. Being back to fifteen men couldn't stop the Force from scoring the first try though, when Josh Valentine took a free-kick quickly, chipping ahead for Shepherd who ran in for a five-pointer against his former team-mates.

Giteau's conversion put the visitors in front but only briefly as the 'Tahs struck right back. Brett Sheehan's pass found Lachie Turner in bit of space out wide. The wing skirted the touchline before finding Caldwell on his shoulder and the big lock used his refreshed legs to power over.

The Force regained the lead with fourteen minutes left on the clock thanks to some crisp passing from Giteau and O'Connor to find Staniforth on the touchline. This time he kept his feet well clear of the whitewash and the TMO confirmed the touch down in the corner. Giteau's conversion hit the post to leave the Force up 15-14.

The Force fly-half was wide of the target again a few minutes later when Wycliff Palu was pinged for a high tackle, setting up an agonising finish for the Waratahs fans.

But the 'Tahs handling would let them down once again, handing the Force a win that will go long way to erasing the heartache of last week's lost to the Hurricanes.

For the Waratahs, a tough trip to South Africa awaits as away wins are now a non-negotiable.

Man of the match: Force wing Scott Staniforth stood out for us. He looked dangerous whenever he got the ball and his try was well deserved.

The Scorers

For the Waratahs:
    Try: Caldwell
    Pens: Halangahu 3

For the Force:
    Tries: Shepherd, Staniforth
    Con: Giteau
    Pen: Giteau

Yellow cards: Caldwell (Waratahs, 39th min - High tackle)

Waratahs: 15 Sam Norton-Knight, 14 Lachie Turner, 13 Timana Tahu, 12 Tom Carter, 11 Lote Tuqiri, 10 Daniel Halangahu, 9 Brett Sheehan, 8 Wycliff Palu, 7 Phil Waugh (c), 6 Ben Mowen, 5 Will Caldwell, 4 Dean Mumm, 3 Dan Palmer, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Benn Robinson.
    Replacements: 16 Damien Fitzpatrick, 17 Sekope Kepu, 18 Chris Thomson, 19 Luke Doherty, 20 Luke Burgess, 21 Kurtley Beale, 22 Peter Playford.

Western Force: 15 Drew Mitchell, 14 Scott Staniforth, 13 Ryan Cross, 12 James O'Connor, 11 Cameron Shepherd, 10 Matt Giteau, 9 Josh Valentine, 8 Richard Brown, 7 David Pocock, 6 Matt Hodgson, 5 Nathan Sharpe (c), 4 Sam Wykes, 3 Ben Castle, 2 Tai McIsaac, 1 Pek Cowan.
    Replacements: 16 Ben Whittaker, 17 AJ Whalley, 18 Tom Hockings, 19 Tamaiti Horua,20 Chris O'Young, 21 Josh Tatupu, 22 Haig Sare

Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
    Referee: James Leckie (Australia)
    Touch judges: Ian Smith (Australia), Daniel Cheever (Australia)
    TMO: George Ayoub (Australia)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by no.8 View Post
    Has Drew Mitchell signed up for them already?
    The ref was their 16th man. Not Drew

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Yeah I need to see the second half.. I had to leave at half time to go see a stupid play Gerry!?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Went to the Carbon Bar..no Blue shirts in evidence, Dorkers game and sound on the big screen. Paid $10 to park the car for 25 mins then went to in time for the start of the game.

Copious amounts of Magners and a GREAT steak.

Topped off a nice win.

vCash
    Just a comment on Brownies blood bin. The timing could not have been better, as he was struggling to shake off an ankle problem from Tuqiri's tackle. There are some cynical thoughts I have on this, but I don't want SMH to plagarise my comments.

vCash
    Just watched that review on foxsports and in Drew's defence he did man up and take out his player. The unfortunate part was that Staniforth also attempted to take out the same player leaving the link free to score a try.

ALso don't understand how Staniforth's foot was out....BAH

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    Just watched that review on foxsports and in Drew's defence he did man up and take out his player. The unfortunate part was that Staniforth also attempted to take out the same player leaving the link free to score a try.

ALso don't understand how Staniforth's foot was out....BAH
    Exactly He took out Turner big time, I thought it was Cam who went for the intercept?

His foot wasn't out Drew got a try! Stupid stupid touchie...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Exactly He took out Turner big time, I thought it was Cam who went for the intercept?

His foot wasn't out Drew got a try! Stupid stupid touchie...
    DREW (and the Force) was robbed by the Tahs 17th player; the infamous Stupid stupid touchie.

vCash
    yea that was very disappointing about that try, superb effort by Staniforth and gather by Mitchell...but i just wonder how many of us would have made the right decision in the heat of the moment as the play unfolded, not having the luxury of video replays from different angles?

Overall though i agree, an extremely average officiating effort all round

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast