Page 36 of 149 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 136 ... LastLast

Thread: Terms of Reference for a Senate Inquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    From a news story on Dave W going to the Rebels

Wessels paid tribute to (Rebels CEO) Stephenson for his patience.

“Baden Stephenson took a calculated risk some months ago when he decided to leave quite a number of spots in the playing roster in order to absorb players if the Force were not around,” Wessels said.

“And that was a huge risk because at the time there was a chance we would still be in a five-team model and I think he deserves a lot of credit for taking that risk.

“But it also means that we are able to absorb a lot of the key players that we want into that list within the existing guidelines, which is fantastic.”

Or perhaps the Rebels had good reason to believe they would get to pick the Force clean having been given the heads up by the ERU well in advance - don't forget the Rebels (Cox from memory) claimed to have been told the Rebels wouldn't be cut months ago - while the ERU was bullshitting the world that it could have been us or the Rebels

Hard to distinguish corruption from strategy in this whole mess.
    There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they knew even before the start of the season that they would be safe. The ARU have bankrolled the Rebels from the word go to the tune of many millions of dollars and were never ever going to let them go. Not sure what the sham was all for. Presumably to try and make it look kosher. Hopefully we'll hear more about the sordid goings on when the Senate releases its final report.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Brett Gosper and Alan Gilpin's

https://www.worldrugby.org/news/155091?lang=en

I've only emailed the shared box so far.

Myra is Bill Beaumont's secretary it appears.
    Yes Myra is Bill's Secratary she is not in the office this week but in the London office till 2 oct David is responsible for overseas operations apparently

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Hard to distinguish corruption from strategy in this whole mess.
    Ethics. Just leaving that here....

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they knew even before the start of the season that they would be safe. The ARU have bankrolled the Rebels from the word go to the tune of many millions of dollars and were never ever going to let them go. Not sure what the sham was all for. Presumably to try and make it look kosher. Hopefully we'll hear more about the sordid goings on when the Senate releases its final report.
    It was because we wouldn't go away quietly.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    The rebels knew they weren't going to be cut from the moment Tim North provided the legal advice to rob Clarke that the Force was the only team that could legally be cut.

That Legal advice was really a set of instructions for the ARU

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    What I don't understand is why no story on this 7.30 or Four Corners it would make for compelling viewing or is rugby union so little cared about by mainstream that no one wants to touch it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    How could Stephenson have planned that? The Rebels didn't even have a CEO up until a few months ago. Shows how badly run that joint is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    What I don't understand is why no story on this 7.30 or Four Corners it would make for compelling viewing or is rugby union so little cared about by mainstream that no one wants to touch it?
    I am sure Rugby has been on Four Corners in the past

vCash
    Exactly.

First we knew Cox told them they were safe. Then we found out Clarke told Cox they were safe. Then we found out ARU got legal advice in February that the ONLY team they could cut was Force. Then Licensed was sold. Then we found out they had a put option that was excercised given they were bankrupt. And they didn't have a CEO through any of this

The entire excercise was a farce, dishonest, deceiptful and thoroughly corrupt.

There was NEVER any other option than cutting the Force. Melbourne was NEVER under the axe.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post

There was NEVER any other option than cutting the Force. Melbourne was NEVER under the axe.
    One thing I've wondered since the appeal was turned down. If our participation agreement was voided due to a "new" broadcast contract, what was different in the Rabble's document that made theirs ironclad. Perhaps Rob Clarke could make a copy available.

vCash
    Has anyone asked the Senate Inquiry to ask If the ARU have paid any money to the VRU (that is not the annual player payments) since the August $1 deal?
    If they were almost insolvent and a couple of supporters stumped up a few dollars to prevent that, how are they now paying the bills?
    New staff, new contracts, day to day operating costs?
    Are the ARU going to give the VRU another 'loan'?
    Are the other SR franchises going to ask why the Rebels have continually received favourable financial treatment from the ARU?
    How long are the ARU going to pay the Rebels more than the other franchises?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UAUdiver1959 View Post
    Has anyone asked the Senate Inquiry to ask If the ARU have paid any money to the VRU (that is not the annual player payments) since the August $1 deal?
    If they were almost insolvent and a couple of supporters stumped up a few dollars to prevent that, how are they now paying the bills?
    Are the other SR franchises going to ask why the Rebels have continually received favourable financial treatment from the ARU?
    Its commercial in confidence.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm so very sure it is….
    BUT it will have to be declared within the end of FY report.
    Its better to ask the question, watch them wriggle and then know that everyone will be watching, especially the other states.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I asked most of those questions in my submission to the Inquiry

vCash
    I need to read the transcript again, but I was under the impression it was imperium who were almost insolvent and then minor stakeholders chipped in capitol.

And if that was the case - where the fuck is the money coming from now? As the VRU were also not doing that crash hot either apparently. And that club has never once run on it’s 5.5 ish ARU lump sum + memberships

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I need to read the transcript again, but I was under the impression it was imperium who were almost insolvent and then minor stakeholders chipped in capitol.

And if that was the case - where the fuck is the money coming from now? As the VRU were also not doing that crash hot either apparently. And that club has never once run on it’s 5.5 ish ARU lump sum + memberships
    Pretty sure that was in relation to Cox's financial situation in NZ when he purchased the Rebels and they didn't listen to the more secure option from Winney

Page 36 of 149 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 136 ... LastLast