Page 37 of 149 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 137 ... LastLast

Thread: Terms of Reference for a Senate Inquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia

vCash
    Came across article from when Harold Mitchell and shareholders sold the club to the VRU

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...627-2oyy9.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Harold Mitchell handed it back because he lost $8 million propping it up. Interestingly, the last line of that article has quoted Rob Clarke as saying he expects the franchise to break even within 5 years.

Champion
    vCash
    MITCHELL SAYS IT WOULD BE TRAGEDY IF REBELS WERE LOST TO MELBOURNE
    IAIN PAYTEN and MATT WINDLEY, The Daily Telegraph
    May 9, 2017 5:47pm
    Subscriber only
    HE burned through an estimated $8 million at the club but former Rebels owner Harold Mitchell says it would be a “tragedy” if Melbourne lost its Super Rugby franchise.

Mitchell threw his support behind the under-threat Rebels as foundation player Laurie Weeks forecast the death of rugby in Melbourne if the team was shut down.

Players are on edge after it emerged Melbourne are facing an uncertain future, courtesy of renewed talks between the ARU and owner Andrew Cox about a potential buyout of the Rebels’ licence.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...ac1282e3adbbda

vCash
    Pulver said the change of ownership would secure the club's future. New Rebels chief Rob Clarke said he expected the club to ''break even'' within five years.
    That was 2013. Since then the ARU have written off $13m in debt, and given Cox an extra $6m. I believe they also forgave the first owners $8m in debts when they handed back the license (from Ali's analysis)

Clarke should be facing a prison term

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UAUdiver1959 View Post
    How long are the ARU going to pay the Rebels more than the other franchises?
    Until the end of the current broadcast agreement in 2020

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    I wonder how long before people in Sydney start asking questions why so much of their money for grassroots rugby is being spent propping up the Rebels?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    'They (the foundation shareholders) have invested a lot of their own money in this enterprise, arguably money that the Australian Rugby Union should have put in place up front, so I think we're very, very lucky to have those investors.'
    WTF?! Is there any evidence that these 'shareholders' actually did put money in? Sounds like another ARU whitewash on the facts again.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    I wonder how long before people in Sydney start asking questions why so much of their money for grassroots rugby is being spent propping up the Rebels?
    I doubt the Friends of Sydney Uni which de Clyne is a part of would do such a thing.

I also haven't seen any articles that the Brumbies and Force fans have been subjected to suggesting that the Rebels should move to western Sydney.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    What I don't understand is why no story on this 7.30 or Four Corners it would make for compelling viewing or is rugby union so little cared about by mainstream that no one wants to touch it?
    Careful what you wish for Jules, and keep an eye on what is on ABC 7.30 next week, yep, as always, you heard it here first on TWF

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Careful what you wish for Jules, and keep an eye on what is on ABC 7.30 next week, yep, as always, you heard it here first on TWF
    Please tell me there is something on the grubby ARU and their dodgy (corrupt) dealings. It would be refreshing to see a news network with the gonads to bring the ARU scandal to the forefront. What surprises me the most is the huge amount of disinterest in this from the major media outlets. Whether you like AFL, NRL or Soccer it shouldn't matter if you come from WA, because this is an East Coast vs WA saga played out in the sporting media. All Western Australians should be protesting at this injustice before their sport becomes the next victim of these heinous Eastern Centric criminal acts

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What day is it on Matt? Ned to get someone to record it for me

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    I am wondering, do we create a brand new thread where we can list in the first and main post all the dodgy/corrupt/unfair financial and any other treatment the Force experienced during their tenure in superrugby.

This thread is so large it has become so hard to find all the really good bits of information.

If no one has the time I can start something but I doubt it will be anywhere near as thorough as Alisons original financial assessment of the ARUs books which was again presented at the Senate Inquiry just gone? This way everything is laid out in one large post where we can request to have any new facts updated into the main post by whoever starts the thread. Would make any senate submissions much easier to put together having one central locations dedicated to all the facts:

I propose everything from finances to participation numbers to actual registered playong numbers.. historical crowd numbers, performance eg. Highest ladder standings/ largest wins/ largest losses/ lowest crowds per club/ lowest average crowds/ ARU top up amounts/ ARU grant amounts per club/ sales records for the sale of the club/ cost of alliance take over...

Would this be something we could all help with?

vCash
    Well, technically I heard it first at the Spirit game. From TIF.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    What day is it on Matt? Ned to get someone to record it for me
    not yet confirmed, but I'm sure there will be plenty of notice here on TWF once it is

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    I am wondering, do we create a brand new thread where we can list in the first and main post all the dodgy/corrupt/unfair financial and any other treatment the Force experienced during their tenure in superrugby....?
    In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth....

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Page 37 of 149 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 137 ... LastLast