Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Western Force vs Waratahs: Match Report

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorM View Post
    Since the game last night was a bit too awful to have to remember this morning, I've found a diversion which can help to keep my mind off the last few scores.

Attendances at home games in 2011:

05/03 Sharks 17,620
    12/03 Blues 15,931
    02/04 Rebels 15,118
    09/04 Tahs 14,578

Someone should open a book on the attendances at the remaining 4 home games.
    Bulls 18000-20000
    Crusaders 18000-20000
    Brumbies 12000 if we lucky
    Reds 12000 if we lucky

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Trevor a book on attendance next time - personally expected 13 but am guessing 11 for the next game based on the looks of all the spectators as they were leaving last night - they need to look like they are going to rock up for a game was the lineout thing confidence after dropping Hodgson last week ? Where was Wykes he normally plays heaps better than that
    Attendance will be thru the roof next home game, the cuzzy bros will all be there coz they love nothing better than watching an Aussie team lose.

Prepare for an away game against the crusaders!

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Force's character will be tested: Sharpe
    Josh Jerga
    April 10, 2011 - 1:59PM
    AAP

With his team's Super Rugby finals hopes all but gone, Western Force captain Nathan Sharpe says the coming weeks will be character testing.

The Force were never really in the contest as they slumped to a 31-3 home defeat to the Waratahs on Saturday night.

It was the Perth outfit's third consecutive loss and they've conceded 108 points in the process.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    Although the Force did show some promise at the start of the season, Sharpe said the prospect of a finals berth was beyond consideration after five losses, a draw and a solitary win left them sitting last in the Australian conference.

The squad simply had to focus on turning their form around.

The Wallabies second-rower said in the coming weeks would be a true "test of character".

"There's only so many things you can say at the end of the day but the one thing is when you're faced with a challenge you want to see how guys react to that," said Sharpe.

"As much as these situations hurt like hell, the response that you get is a pretty good indication of the group of guys you've got."

The long-awaited debut of New Zealand import five-eighth Willie Ripia did not lend much impetus to the Force.

Ripia, who sustained a foot injury in the pre-season, had a relatively quiet game but coach Richard Graham said it was a positive to see him last the full 80 minutes.

Graham also said it was too early to say whether Wallabies star James O'Connor, who has played most of season at five eighth but moved to fullback against the Waratahs, would be brought back in closer to the ball.

"It's a little bit early," he said.

"But the one thing I'll say is that regardless of how many times he (Ripia) touched the ball, we probably didn't value possession for long enough periods of play to actually get anyone involved in the game."

Graham said the Force's crushing 51-16 defeat at the hands of the Stormers in the sixth round had been a "kick in the guts".

However, they had managed to turn that round the following week against the Rebels, to lose only by a solitary point.

"We've obviously taken a step back down ... we've got nine games to go and the important thing for us as a side is that we continue to believe in what we're doing and continue to grow."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...410-1d8w1.html

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder if Richard Graham will look into a few changes in the team make up for next year. We have the forwards to play a highly mobile game of rugby but we don't seem to have the skills/game plan to make that happen. We need some bigger forwards IMO. Wykes should be shifted to 6. Look into someone like Leroy Houston if indeed the Reds have no room for him.

Longbottom came on pretty early for Tim Fairbrother again. It's great that he's doing so well.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    we were denied possession for most of the game & when we did get it we turned it over too easily.Ripia was getting the ball on the back foot more often than not,so dont write him off just yet
    silly,basic errors let us down(again)

vCash
    and again and again and again and again and again!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I certainly wouldn't write Ripia off on the basis of that performance. He was barely given a chance and its his first competitive game in about 8 weeks.

I just mean that who do we have who is a guaranteed threat on the gain line with slow ball? That was the beauty of Scott Staniforth at 12. I like Fairbanks, the guy has heart, but I feel that if we don't have O'Connor there we have to get someone bigger. I would still love to see Shep at 12 although I know that will never happen.

At the Wallabies Pocock and Sharpe are always good for go forward ball but with Pocock out and Sharpe not in his best form we have far fewer options.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    At the Wallabies Pocock and Sharpe are always good for go forward ball but with Pocock out and Sharpe not in his best form we have far fewer options.
    Talking about go forward ball have you guys been watching games involving the saffa teams? When a forward takes the ball up another forward latches onto the back of him and pushes him at the hips into contact then drives him into and through the tackle nearly always going over the advantage line. When one of our forwards take the ball up the others seem to stand there and watch him. Considering our forwards are by comparison relatively small they need to look at tactics like this to get some go forward momentum...

vCash
    Kieran got more than a half and held up well. I'd say it's worth giving him a start or two and see how he holds up. Fairbrother can start on the bench, or even Dunning.

But I'm concerned by our tactics. It's always the same, with little thought for a Plan B, but even then we don't seem to be playing Plan A well.

If Graham has in mind a way of playing that doesn't suit the boys' strengths, he should change the gameplan, not continue with a losing one. The sign of a great coach is adapting the game to the players available, not the other way round.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    to me the game plan is not the problem,but the players apparent lack of skills to execute it

vCash
    If the Force fix up their kicking game and perform at the breakdown next week, they at least wont be on the back foot for most of the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    If the Force fix up their kicking game and perform at the breakdown next week, they at least wont be on the back foot for most of the game.
    and maybe try to actually chase the kicks at full pace

vCash
    I've been saying for years, kick it out or chase the kick.....how hard can it be?

C'mon the

vCash
    Going back to what Graham had to say about taking a back ward step I can't work out what he's been watching this year .we have been woefully, yes we won a game against one of the worst teams in the tournament.
    Its time to have a look at game plan and the mental approach to the game.
    No more of this "didn't they try hard" crap.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    You should be picking players on form not on merit of previous rugby resume... saying that if thats the case we would have to forfeit against the brumbies as we have no on in form.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast