Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: WA Reds NRL Bid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Yes, Perth Heat, as i understand it the WA Reds if successful are looking at having a close relationship with both Perth Heat and the Western Force, after all they will all be playing out of the one stadium.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Heat won't be playing at nib Stadium. They have their own in Thornlie. Go there tonight for the first game in their final regular season series tonight against Melbourne. There was a Heat v Force hitout between games during the last home series though.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    just lost all interest in the sport after all that spam... kidding but geez seriously talk about info overload

vCash
    Heat won't be playing at nib Stadium. They have their own in Thornlie. Go there tonight for the first game in their final regular season series tonight against Melbourne. There was a Heat v Force hitout between games during the last home series though.
    Sorry i got confused with names, i thought you were talking about Perth Glory not Perth heat.

Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    just lost all interest in the sport after all that spam... kidding but geez seriously talk about info overload
    haha sorry about that mate, but think on the bright side. All the information you need regarding the bid is fright here.

Last edited by WA sport fan; 20-01-11 at 11:39.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Baseball is not a sport compatible with rectangular field football of any kind, if played regularly at the same venue.

It requires an intrusive mound on the field of play and involves running patterns which can destroy portions of the pitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Baseball is not a sport compatible with rectangular field football of any kind, if played regularly at the same venue.

It requires an intrusive mound on the field of play and involves running patterns which can destroy portions of the pitch.
    Sorry i got confused with names, i thought we were talking about Perth Glory not Perth heat.

Perth Glory, Western Force and WA Reds will be using the one stadium.

It has been talked about that the WA Reds will try and have a close relationship with all sport in WA but mostly Perth GLORY (not heat, my bad) and the Western Force.

vCash
    Well, I'm glad we got that sorted.
    The jumper the current WA team has looks pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Well, I'm glad we got that sorted.
    The jumper the current WA team has looks pretty good.
    Just on this note here, the jerseys that the WA Reds will be wearing in the NRL if their bid is successful is yet to be decided.

If there are any designers out there willing to have an attempt at a WA Reds jersey, go ahead post it in this thread and even send it onto the WARL. They are always willing to have a look at fans ideas and suggestions.

vCash
    Brett 'Noddy' Kimmorely was at the Perth Sport expo as a guest of the WARL.

Story below.

Star Punts on WA

Recently retired RL star Brett Kimmorley says a Perth rugby league team has the potential to follow the Melbourne Storm to become a huge start-up success.
    Perth is the overwhelming favourite to defeat Central Coast, Rockhampton, PNG and SE Queensland team to become the new NRL franchise in 2013. Ahead of his visit to the city for the World Sports Expo next weekend, when Kimmorley will meet young players and man the NRL site at the Perth Exhibition Centre, he revealed the factors that would make or break a WA team.
    “To be successful you have to get the right business people involved running the club, with vision and a business plan, the man affectionately known as Noddy said. “New clubs get to establish their own identity and culture. When they get it right they can be very successful.”
    “I think a Perth franchise is a great idea. It would not only expand the game and make it truly national, it would also help sell TV rights, with an extra live game on offer. Ypu only have to look at the former western Reds to see the great fan base.”
    Kimmorley said players, particularly marquee signings, would define the success of a start up. “It’s not just about buying players who can win football games” he said. “You have to get the right players for the business. These days you can’t afford and negative press and can’t have players who damage the brand. “You’ve also got to have people who embrace the home public and fans who are allowed to be part of a team by having a say in naming the club.”
    Kimmorley sad with the backing of big business in Perth and a good junior development program, the city had the potential for a big future in the NRL.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Good little story, the bolded sentence is the only wrong information in it. WA Reds are favourites but there is two positions open not one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WA sport fan View Post
    Just on this note here, the jerseys that the WA Reds will be wearing in the NRL if their bid is successful is yet to be decided.
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    For the record the second jersey is the best one as a home jersey
    As stated in another post in this thread

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    my attention span was exhausted after the first page

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    my attention span was exhausted after the first page
    Read it over the course of the next few days, it's not a race. Took me months to read it all (of course that was when it was breaking lol) Either way all the information is right here for all to see.

vCash
    So why the name "WA Reds"?

"WA Reds" is the short name for the Western Australian Reds, who are looking to be included in the 2013 NRL premierships. This team is a continuation from past Western Australian Rugby League sides. Back in 1992, the decision for a Western Australian base team to compete in top fight Australian rugby league was made. In 1995 the "Western Reds" made their debut in the competition which was then named the "ARL".

The Western Reds finished in 11th place out of 20 teams in 1995 and in 16th place out of 20 teams in 1996. In 1997 top flight rugby league was spilt into two competitions. The traditional "ARL" and the rebel competition led by media giants new limited called "Super League".

A decision was made by the Western Australian based Rugby League club to join the Super League as it was seen by them as the best way for the club to move forward. This would turn out to be their down fall. In the 1997 Super League competition the Western Reds were pushed into changing their name by news limited to the "Perth Reds". The Perth Reds finished in 8th place out of 10 teams.

In 1998, the ARL and Super League agreed to come together and reinstate ONE major rugby league competition for Australia. Both sides negotiated and the end result was that the 1998 season would be the first season played under the name of the "NRL".

One of the conditions of the merger of competitions was that the NRL would continue off the history of Rugby League competition in Australia which dates back to 1908 and includes both the ARL and Super League. Another condition for the merger was that there had to be a Melbourne team. This was pushed by News limited and agreed upon. The Melbourne Storm are still owned by News limited.

This meant that the death of the Western Reds as News limited had taken over from the WARL of control of the club in 1997 and couldn't support both it and the new Melbourne club.

The Adelaide Rams went on to play one extra season in 1998 before ultimately losing their team due to the efforts being pumped into Melbourne.

Both the Western/Perth Reds and the Adelaide Rams were not failures, they were made to pay the ultimate price for other factors while the competition was deciding to down size the club numbers.

In 2006 the WARL resurrected the Reds. In 2008 the Reds joined the Jim Beam Cup and played out of Members Equity Stadium (now called NIB stadium). The WA Reds also joined the SG Ball national competition for the under 18s group in 2009 on the back of advise from the NRL to "focus on junior development".

Bare with me, this is all relevant to the name.

The decision to call the resurrected team the "WA Reds" was two fold.

1) Back in the mid 1990s when the team was called the "Western Reds" many believed the term "Western" did not define the area well enough. 'Western of what?' was always the question. This was not such a problem for Rugby League fans but more of a problem experienced by casual fans or the general public that hear the news about rugby league on news services.

2) Since the Western Australian based Rugby League team stopped competing in the national competition, Rugby Union's 'Super rugby' competition had grew to included the Western Force. Rather then fight forth the name 'Western' with a well established side for a name that they had experienced troubles with in the past did not come across as ideal.

Therefore the Reds team decided to name themselves the 'WA Reds' which does both, let anybody (even if you don't follow rugby league or sport) know exactly where the team comes from and doesn't get them in any legal trouble or possible existing copyright deals that are in place.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm sure I've mentioned somewhere that I prefer the suggested "Perth Nazi Killer Sex Death Hates". Thanks HG.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I'm sure I've mentioned somewhere that I prefer the suggested "Perth Nazi Killer Sex Death Hates". Thanks HG.
    and why is this mate?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast