Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Giteau to weigh up $10m French offer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    but if the figures are correct (which i doubt on the strength that the club cant afford it on their own, and its once again down the road of 3rd party sponsorship) it is a serious amount of money, and he is a professional player...............
    yes i know its a lot of money and his a professional player.... my point was, he apparently wants to move back to Canberra to be with his family, yet his contemplating a move to the other side of the world for money..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    for $10m he can take them with him!........

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    or buy news ones there..

vCash
    probably even both if he really wanted to

vCash
    Hi Exile,
    The Firepower saga was a short-lived one-year sponsorship for the South Sydney Rabbitohs before Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court terminated the deal. I think South Sydney likely did the right thing sacking their sponsor Firepower however the two key owners Holmes a Court and Crowe could afford to cover the loss.

Preceding this event, Russell Crowe went on US TV Jay Leno show and announced the 3 million dollar firepower sponsorship of his team the Rabbitohs. His company appraisal echoed through out the media. He would have felt extremely stupid and angry once he realized it was a scam. Crowe doesn’t suffer fools or people taking advantage of his profile lightly. He can’t afford to be linked to a charlatan. The Publics good perception of him is his business so he stepped away from firepower ASAP. I also believe this was key source of the fall out between Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe. Holmes a Court had been caught up in the Perths love affair with firepower.

The Force administrators at this time would also have known things weren’t right with the sponsor and in August 2007 John Mitchell took the opportunity to terminate his interest in firepower which was a reported $100,000.

At this moment John Mitchell made a decisive decision to choose individualism over standing with the team. This is a big call for a coach as the coach is heart of any team. Notably Mitchell more recently stormed out in anger the from teams change room at half time during their last game of the season 2008. It was reported that this is when Giteau’s heart felt statement was muttered, “ lock the door behind him.”

When someone writes the Western Force’s story about the clubs first ten years these two moments in John Mitchell’s coaching reign will standout as pivotal moments in his leadership. Moments when he lost faith and others questioned his actions.

The Western Force didn't have the financial advantage of Holmes a Court and Crowe to sack their sponsor firepower and would have hoped to get something out of firepower before it all creased. Unlike Mitchell the club couldn’t cash in and leave the players to be the only financial losers. The Western Force had to stand with the players and take the financial blow. It was important to appear to sanctify the third party deals. The new CEO Harris made a committed to the players and the ARU to find reasonable an outcome, which is still a work in progress. Harris is clearly a honest man with a hell of a task.

What compounds the issue with Mitchell is when he becomes a board member of the new sponsor. Now he appears to have jumped from a sinking ship to the lifeboat with his possessions alone. I admit I could be totally wrong here, but that’s what it looks like to the outside world...

It was worse for the Sydney kings which were owned by firepower and were stringed along many times, with players being paid only every so often. And the club folded and players lost their houses. Fortunately the Force could shoulder the loss and are still operating.

Does that answer your question Exile…its only my point of view but it’s a messy business which has made honest men look bad.

By the way since all of this the Rabbitohs have built a very nice modern local stadium in the heart of South Sydney.

Remember I don’t mean to upset people its only my point of view and I want to see Western Force thrive.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    It was reported that this is when Giteau’s heart felt statement was muttered, “ lock the door behind him.”
    Context is everything - the whole team were embaressed by their first half performance and rallied from 17 points down to put 29 unanswered on the Brumbies, showing their coach that he has done a good job and winning the last game of the season, placing them as the 2nd ranked Australian team.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    if you count the Tahs as a team that is

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Remember I don’t mean to upset people its only my point of view and I want to see Western Force thrive.

Where have I heard that before?

Oh yeah... I remember...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Context is everything - the whole team were embaressed by their first half performance and rallied from 17 points down to put 29 unanswered on the Brumbies, showing their coach that he has done a good job and winning the last game of the season, placing them as the 2nd ranked Australian team.
    coach, i seem to remember the first half ok, but the second was a bit of a blur......

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    coach, i seem to remember the first half ok, but the second was a bit of a blur......
    RWA freebies huh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    RWA freebies huh?
    Hey if there were freebies around my seat at half timeI would have made quite some effort to forget the first half.

Last edited by Swee_82; 01-12-08 at 20:39.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    RWA freebies huh?
    gerrry, not enough to dull the pain of the first half..

vCash
    I remember half time clearly. My Dad tried to convince me to go home! and he was nowhere near the RWA freebies... You were probably happy that way Slomo.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Good point Gerry, you have a memory...something to work with…

Coach…I agree context is important but not everything. The Force players rallied without John Mitchell's help that day, it solely a player win. The Brumbies were always going to fade in the second half as they didn't have a solid bench and were injury depleted... Additionally the Brumbies were on the way back from the South African leg having played the Stormers and the Bulls…

The fact stands Mitchell walked out on the team, your team doesn't that piss you guys off... why defend him? move on, I'm sure he wont do it again...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    He can’t afford to be linked to a charlatan. The Publics good perception of him is his business so he stepped away from firepower ASAP.
    Russell Crowe is an award winning Hollywood actor. Some minor bullshit with a dodgy WA company does not in any way impinge on his livelihood. That's just ridiculous. You are trying to mould facts to fit your ponderings - again. It doesn't work

I also believe this was key source of the fall out between Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe.
    You believe lots of things by the looks. But what do you know as facts? Very little I'd wager.

Holmes a Court had been caught up in the Perths love affair with firepower.
    Please explian what you base that on. He has not lived in WA for many years and has made his own way in the business world separate from his family's interests here.

its only my point of view but it’s a messy business which has made honest men look bad.
    In your opinion based on your many speculations.

By the way since all of this the Rabbitohs have built a very nice modern local stadium in the heart of South Sydney.
    Really? When will they start to play NRL matches there?

Remember I don’t mean to upset people its only my point of view and I want to see Western Force thrive
    Oh well, that makes everything OK then I suppose. SHEESH!!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast