Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Drugs in Local Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    but then again there isnt much difference between protein and analbolic steroids..
    There is a HUGE difference between protein and anabolic steroids.

The most basic of all is that protein is a macronutrient available in the majority of our food and beverage (dietary) choices, through which regulation of this would totally unreasonable, and impractical. Not to mention, your body only requires a certain amount of protein. The recommended daily intake (RDI), and the upper level (UL) for protein, once exceeded, means that any excess intake becomes useless for structural and functional purposes - instead it can be detrimental to the athlete - if energy intake exceeds that which is used, it'll be converted into glycogen, or stored as body fat (depending on glycogen levels). This effectively shows that supplementing with protein is almost ineffective (or detrimental) if over consumed , especially when you consider that it is easily derived from whole food sources.

Anabolic Steroids, on the other hand, is a completely different situation, with completely different physiological impacts. The two are not remotely comparable at all.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Nicolas Hart; 16-01-09 at 17:27.

vCash
    i meant to say creatine and roids

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    isn't coffee a diuretic?

vCash
    i meant to say creatine and roids
    Creatine and Anabolic Steroids are also different.

Creatine can be derived from natural food sources. The uptake of creatine into muscle assists with muscle growth, through increased work capacity and recovery due to improved protein synthesis (works in conjunction with protein) and energy production. This is a natural substance found in food. It is not man-made, and generally assists with training gains prior to an event, rather than performing during an event. You can improve the uptake of creatine into the muscle through consuming it with dextrose (a sugar that increases insulin). Next you'll be attempting to argue that sugar should be a banned substance?

In other words, Creatine enables an athlete - during training - to work at an increased level of intensity, which in effect translates to improved training gains (improvements). An example would be resistance training. Creatine can assist with lifting at a slightly heavier weight, or a lower weight for more repetitions. This increased workload MIGHT indirectly promote improved muscle hypertrophy (depending on the athletes dietary, recovery, and lifestyle choices).

Anabolic Steroids on the other hand, are synthetic ( man-made ) injections or tablets, which pertain to testosterone (male hormones). This directly promotes skeletal muscle growth through the use of abnormally heightened hormonal levels. The causation link to pathological health issues involved with anabolic steroids is significant, which is one of the many reasons it is illegal.

vCash
    Australian Institute of Sport - Supplementation Classification

Any rugby player wanting to further investigate supplementation - only use supplements listed in Class A (Group A). These are approved, because they are both safe, and scientifically proven to work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Hart View Post
    Creatine and Anabolic Steroids are also different.

Creatine can be derived from natural food sources. The uptake of creatine into muscle assists with muscle growth, through increased work capacity and recovery due to improved protein synthesis (works in conjunction with protein) and energy production. This is a natural substance found in food. It is not man-made, and generally assists with training gains prior to an event, rather than performing during an event. You can improve the uptake of creatine into the muscle through consuming it with dextrose (a sugar that increases insulin). Next you'll be attempting to argue that sugar should be a banned substance?

In other words, Creatine enables an athlete - during training - to work at an increased level of intensity, which in effect translates to improved training gains (improvements). An example would be resistance training. Creatine can assist with lifting at a slightly heavier weight, or a lower weight for more repetitions. This increased workload MIGHT indirectly promote improved muscle hypertrophy (depending on the athletes dietary, recovery, and lifestyle choices).

Anabolic Steroids on the other hand, are synthetic ( man-made ) injections or tablets, which pertain to testosterone (male hormones). This directly promotes skeletal muscle growth through the use of abnormally heightened hormonal levels. The causation link to pathological health issues involved with anabolic steroids is significant, which is one of the many reasons it is illegal.
    no shit champ, i know they are different, i said in a realistic sense they are both the same, i was reffering to the fact that they both have the same outcome in aiding physical development, If you read my whole post you probably would have realised that.. I wasnt suggesting that creatine be banned either, so dont go making crap up.

And am i correct in assuming that your avatar is a picture of yourself with your shirt off? surely there is some internet dating site arround that the photo would be more appropriate on.....

vCash
    i was reffering to the fact that they both have the same outcome in aiding physical development, If you read my whole post you probably would have realised that..
    They do not have the same outcome in aiding physical development / enhancing performance. Surely you must have picked up on that by now?

vCash
    back to the topic, i suppose its hard where to draw the line on drugs and supplements, i mean in a realistic sense creatine is not much different to protein, but then again there isnt much difference between protein and analbolic steroids..

I suppose the major difference is that steroids have bad side effects, where as protein and creatine dont really have any bad side effects(proven yet anyway).

But the reasoning for banning steroids is because it may give some athletes a unfair advantage, well how is that any different to a player taking creatine or protein..
    Since you opted to be sarcastic, and bring attitude into an otherwise civilised discussion, I'm going to take this opportunity to point out what you actually wrote, again.

"Creatine is not much different to protein" <-- It's very different.

"There isn't much difference between protein and anabolic steroids" <-- There's a huge difference

"I meant creatine and anabolic steroids" <-- Still a huge difference

"The reasoning for banning steroids is because it may give some athletes an unfair advantage" <-- That is only one consideration given to banned substances. The health of the athlete, and associated risks are actually the primary reason Anabolic Steroids are banned.

You may not have stated that you wanted creatine banned , though you were the person who raised the point that Anabolic Steroids are banned, yet Creatine and Protein supplements aren't. I've clearly explained to you why Protein isn't banned, and likewise with Creatine.

You may wish to reconsider your attitude at some stage. Don't ask the question, if you cannot handle the answer not aligning with your belief (since your belief isn't factual).

Last edited by Nicolas Hart; 16-01-09 at 23:06.

vCash
    im going to point out again that your missing my point.... your patheticallly attempting to twist my words to support your fruitless argument, which i honestly couldnt give a shit about.

That is only one consideration given to banned substances. The health of the athlete, and associated risks are actually the primary reason Anabolic Steroids are banned.
    haha, dont start talking shit, and no its not the primary reason, for a drug to be banned it needs to meets 2 of 3 criteria:
    -enhance performance
    -pose health risks
    -violate the 'spirit of sport'
    anabolic steroids meets all 3

They do not have the same outcome in aiding physical development / enhancing performance. Surely you must have picked up on that by now?
    ha, so your going to tell me that with training, creatine and anabolic steroids dont aid physical development.. a simple yes or no answer is all we need!

vCash
    which i honestly couldnt give a shit about.
    Clearly you're fibbing. Otherwise you wouldn't continue sprouting garbage. No one twisted your words. Everyone on this message board is quite capable of deciphering what has been said.

no its not the primary reason, for a drug to be banned
    Yes, the health risks / pathology often experienced with the use of Anabolic Steroids are the primary (not only) reason Anabolic Steroids are banned. I openly stated that it's performance enhancing properties are one reason, though it is not the primary reason.

so your going to tell me that with training, creatine and anabolic steroids dont aid physical development.. a simple yes or no answer is all we need!
    For a person who I assume is an adult , you are very juvenile.

Creatine may aid physical develop, much like Anabolic Steroids.

Though, a proper diet aids physical development. Adequate rest aids physical development. Reducing emotional stress aids physical development. Proper programming aids physical development. Resistance training aids physical development.

So, a simple yes or no answer provides no substance, and isn't entirely accurate to where you were actually heading with your original post.

vCash
    Anabolic steroids increase testosterone which not only increases muscle growth but also the number of red blood cells, which carry oxygen, and therefore affect performance by having an increased oxygen carrying capacity. That then means that oxygen supply to the muscles is increased and that results less lactic acid build up and being able to perform at a higher level for longer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Hart View Post
    Clearly you're fibbing. Otherwise you wouldn't continue sprouting garbage. No one twisted your words. Everyone on this message board is quite capable of deciphering what has been said.
    apparently not everyone

Yes, the health risks / pathology often experienced with the use of Anabolic Steroids are the primary (not only) reason Anabolic Steroids are banned. I openly stated that it's performance enhancing properties are one reason, though it is not the primary reason
    there cant be a 'primary' reason if it needs to meet more then 2 criteria, all criteria hold equal sway when determining whether to ban the drug or not

Creatine may aid physical develop, much like Anabolic Steroids.
    hence my original post

For a person who I assume is an adult , you are very juvenile.
    no i just dont like my time been wasted

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4