Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pretorius, Dunning set to sign with Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I've watched more games where I've thought "that was an awful piece of play" which is in no way a reflection of how the team is coached. Look at this season. I'd say against the likes of the Hurricanes, Chiefs and the Blues it was the team that lost the game- not the coach. Players missed tackles. Players were lazy. Players lost the game. Then again you look at a game like the Stormers one and yes Dylan des Fontein should've scored the one he dropped flat but the ref should've pulled the Stormers up on Cross' block. Our season could have been much better this year and I for one believe that was more about the players than the coach.

But my point isn't that Mitch is the world's greatest coach it is just that I don't think there were many fly-half options to pursue this year. Both the Brumbies fly-halves were contracted for 2010. Beale and Cooper were contracted for 2010. Barnes wanted to stay in Queensland. Halangahu was an option but when the Force became interested the Tahs showed him the game time and kept him. So what should we have done?
    Easy. Don't renew the coaches contract after all, the players do what they want when they are out on the field, retain giteau and build a team around him...
    Posted via Mobile Device

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Easy!

In hindsight, I think Giteau was as good as gone from the moment the Firepower deal fell through.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I don't mind Pretorius - quality and experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ethicist View Post
    Totally agree
    Pretorius is a quality player. he has and could play for the bokke. His underperforming teams have cost him higher honours more regularly.
    He is very very tough. He can kick goals from anywhere. he is very fast and can curt defences to threads with front foot ball.

I'm excited

Dead wood exodus

Construction of a mighty side brimming with determination and desire

The house that Mitch built moves on........ever onwards and upwards
    I also wouldn't have minded if the had lured Matt Burke to town for the first year, like they did with Welborn: quality and experience (Burke more that Wobber)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Calling them gay and suggesting a career ending injury is hardly a mature way to deal with the professionalism that is sport...
    Neither is starting a player revolt because the coach offered some advice

Good riddance to all 3 of them

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    you cant have it both ways!!
    Where did I say that I wanted it both ways. You seem to only want to aim up at the coaching staff, when on field leadership needs looking at as well

We lacked Mental Toughness, that can't be coached.

I look forward to seeing how the Wallaby 10 goes in a tight game this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Agree on the development of a flyhalf,
    Get off the junk Andy, nobody in their right mind expects anybody to develop a Super 14 flyhalf in 4 years, how many Wallabies games did Giteau play before playing a decent game at 10 in Super 14?

Don't fall into his trap, he's arguing nonsense and you're attempting to answer it!

C'mon the

vCash

Pretorius heading for Perth?

Posted at: Keo.co.za 11th June 2009

The Force have approached Lions flyhalf Andre Pretorius about a move to the franchise.

Peter Grant was the initial target of the Perth-based side after Matt Giteau’s exit to the Brumbies, but the Stormers back has opted not to pursue the venture.

Pretorius’s future with the Lions is uncertain. Former mentor Loffie Eloff had intended using Pretorius as a coach from next year after an unsuccessful return from injury. Pretorius spent well over a year on the sidelines with a foot ailment, and failed to make an impression in this year’s Super 14.

He also led the planned player strike after Eloff’s axing, which led to an embarrassing showing by the Golden Lions against the touring Lions. Pretorius was especially poor on defence, looking disinterested and uncommitted throughout the 80 minutes.

Still the Force have handed the former Bok flyhalf an offer to head to Australia.

‘He’s interested,’ said Force rugby manager Mitch Hardy.

‘[Coach] John Mitchell’s had a chat to him and we’ve put an offer in front of him and we are just waiting for a decision.

‘He has to weigh up where his rugby aspirations lie as to whether or not he still aspires to play for the Springboks and be involved in Currie Cup campaigns back in South Africa.

‘We are hoping that the contract we put together will allow him to achieve both those options.’

Pretorius will need a dramatic turnaround in commitment and performance if he attempts to partly fill Giteau’s void.

http://www.keo.co.za/2009/06/11/pret...ing-for-perth/

Some interesting South African news comments here about Andre Pretorius plans to get involved as an assistant coach with the Lions next year... But with the sacking of Lions coach Loffie Eloff it wasn’t to be. Additionally his involvement in the following player strike wouldn’t have help his future with the province…

Perhaps he'd be best hired as an assistant coach rather than the starting Flyhalf for the Force in 2010...

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Pretorius looks down under

Article From South Africa. THE TIMES, Craig Ray June 12, 2009

http://www.thetimes.co.za/Sport/Article.aspx?id=1016544

Golden Lions flyhalf Andre Pretorius is set to join Perth-based Super 14 franchise the Western Force for next year’s tournament, according to reports from Australia.

Pretorius, who missed out on the South African squad for this month’s series against the British & Irish Lions, was interested in the Force offer after Matt Giteau signed for the Brumbies for the 2010 season.

Mitch Hardy, the Force’s general manager for rugby, said they had made an offer to 30-year-old Pretorius after Western Stormers flyhalf Peter Grant had turned down an approach.

“He [Pretorius] is interested,” Hardy said. “[Coach] John Mitchell’s had a chat to him and we’ve put an offer in front of him, and we are just waiting for a decision.
    “He has to weigh up where his rugby aspirations lie, whether he still aspires to play for the Springboks and be involved in Currie Cup campaigns back in South Africa.”
    But when The Times approached Pretorius he declined to comment: “I can’t say anything at this stage.”

But he did not say that the story from Australia was inaccurate.
    A potential move is hardly surprising because Pretorius was a loyal ally to sacked Lions coach Eugene Eloff. He was one of the key figures in a stand-off between players and Golden Lions officials in the immediate aftermath of Eloff’s dismissal.

Senior players threatened to boycott playing in last week’s match against the British & Irish Lions if Eloff wasn’t reinstated. They subsequently backed down and Pretorius and the rest of the team took the field against the tourists, where they were thrashed 74-10.

Pretorius has played 31 Tests for the Springboks and is the leading Super 14 scorer for the Lions with 645 points.

http://www.sarugby.com/news/News/article/sid=11660.html

Last edited by mudskipper; 15-06-09 at 13:41.

vCash
    can they just sign and put us out of our misery!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    I'm pretty sure MY misery will continue until the Brumbies play the Force next year.......deprivation of rugby will do that to a guy.

I think the contract shenanigans will probably continue pretty much until rugby deprivation time, when did we sign Wiggum this year?

Pretty sure Rabbit will make a decision either way shortly after the #10 thing's finalised, but we're still on the lookout for a Hooker and a Winger....the latter will be the one that the press plays games with, and mightn't be finalised until late.....

No facts to base that on, just a hunch!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Pretty sure Rabbit will make a decision either way shortly after the #10 thing's finalised, ..............

No facts to base that on, just a hunch!
    I have the same hunch. I'm going on one of the few direct quotes from O'Connor or his father/advsor. Can't remember who wrote the piece, though I doubt it was Brett Harris. Went something like........"John Mitchell has been a good influence on him (JOC) and he has a lot of loyalty to him. As long as they sign a good 10 (and Pretorius fits that bill IMO) I think he'll stay at the Force.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Looking at The Star from Joburg seeing if any late news on Pretorious coming to the Force. None but got the latest news. Suss it out.

News
    Initiate dies after botched circumcision
    June 15, 2009 Edition 3

One boy died and four others are in a critical condition after alleged botched circumcisions at an initiation school near Ntabankulu, Eastern Cape, SABC News reported yesterday. Ten others were admitted to Sipethu Hospital. Police arrested one person and tracked down some boys in a nearby forest. - Sapa

A "stakeholder forum" comprising the government, mining companies, businesses, unions, community leaders and policing agencies will be set up to help end illegal mining in the Free State, Mineral Resources Minister Susan Shabangu said yesterday. - Sapa

A woman has been arrested for allegedly stabbing her boyfriend with a bread knife in Prince Albert, Southern Cape, after she caught him sitting on a bench with another woman, police said yesterday. The suspect will appear on a charge of murder in the Prince Albert Magistrate's Court tomorrow. - Sapa

Cope in Gauteng yesterday lashed out at accusations that there were moves to remove Mosiuoa Lekota as the party's leader. The provincial leadership "dismisses with contempt" media reports on divisions within the party after the leaking of an internal election document, Gauteng Cope spokesman Lawrence Khoza said. - Sapa

Two people were shot dead and five others injured in two separate armed robberies at respective shebeens in Diepsloot and Olievenhoutbosch, north of Joburg, at the weekend, Netcare 911's Nick Dollman said yesterday. - Sapa

A woman was kidnapped and raped after a gang demanded R25 000 in ransom from her husband in Nomadolo, Eastern Cape, police said yesterday. When he could offer only R11 000, they abducted the woman, 33, and assaulted and raped her. - Sapa

A trade delegation of 60 South African business people, representing 45 companies, headed to Cuba yesterday. The group will spend a week in Cuba exploring bilateral trade opportunities between the two countries. The trip was facilitated by the Progressive Business Forum. - Sapa

A man was arrested on Saturday for abducting and raping a 6-year-old girl in Philippi, Cape Town, on June 9, Western Cape police said yesterday. The man will appear in the Wynberg Magistrate's Court tomorrow. - Sapa

A man and a woman in traffic police uniforms and six others stole boxes of cigarettes from a delivery vehicle in Delmore, east of Joburg, and locked the delivery staff inside, police said at the weekend. Police are investigating. - Sapa

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    sounds like a lovelly place to live

thank god i'm already circumcised!

vCash
    it will probably only be finalized later because of the 6 hour time difference so maybe only find out early tomorrow mornin

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Prospect
    vCash
    I MUST BE THE ONLY FORCE SUPPORTER WHO WATCHES THE NRL. A BLIND MAN ON A GALLOPING HORSE COULD SEE THAT MICHEAL WITT THE EX NZ WARRIOR WOULD BE THE PERFECT REPLACEMENT FOR GITEAU.HE'S AUSTRALIAN, HE'S HARD,FAST,A GREAT DEFENDER AND HAS AN EXCELLENT RUGBY BRAIN.HE WOULD EASILY BE WORTH 100 POINTS A SEASON WITH THE BOOT AS WELL-I'M SURE DARRYL HALLIGAN,THE CROSS-CODE KICKING COACH WOULD ATTEST TO THAT.
    WITT'S LEFT THE WARRIORS AND JOINED OTAGO FOR THIS YEAR'S MPC IN A BID TO MAKE THE HIGHLANDERS.HE'D ALSO BE YOUNG AND KEEN,NOT OLD AND INJUY-PRONE.THE FORCE COACHING STAFF NOW HAVE EXPERIENCE IN TAKING APLAYER,CHANGING HIM AND TURNING HIM INTO THE BEST FLY-HALF IN THE WORLD-WOULDN'T I LOVE TO SEE THAT HAPPEN AGAIN.ALSO MAYBE HE'S A GROWNUP AND WON'T WANT TO RUN HOME TO MUM AT A DROP OF A HAT.

vCash
    anything on andre yet??

BOKKE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast