Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Squad @ 31/03/10

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    I think wing would suit Slater better (in rugby) - but is he worth $1 million per year on the wing? Nah.
    I think that $1 million dollar figure is a bit of beat up - I read the comments as being along the lines of "we (the Rebels) won't pay him that much but if the ARU gives him a big top-up who knows how much he can get." I don't think the ARU would pay that much for him, which would mean he'd be on a lower contract - which could even be a hitch in him switching codes at all. Of course the Storm may yet be forced to cut him adrift in which case he might want to hang around in Melbourne and take the Rebels option. And of course there's still a chance that he's implicated in these illegal Storm payments. It'll be a while before we see how this all plays out I feel.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    well he's reportedly on a $400 000 contract and i doubt he'll keep it and noone else will buy him for that in the NRL unless they risk jumping the salary cap themselves.

If he is offered a sweetener (eg: an extra 200 000) by the ARU/Rebels/Force/Brumbies etc.. that would be tempting now wouldnt it?

vCash
    So have any Pacific islanders or argentinians been signed or courted yet??
    Wasnt that one of the arguments for allowing 10 foreigners by helping develop pacific rugby without forcing them to switch international allegiences??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    well he's reportedly on a $400 000 contract and i doubt he'll keep it and noone else will buy him for that in the NRL unless they risk jumping the salary cap themselves.

If he is offered a sweetener (eg: an extra 200 000) by the ARU/Rebels/Force/Brumbies etc.. that would be tempting now wouldnt it?
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    Wasnt that one of the arguments for allowing 10 foreigners by helping develop pacific rugby without forcing them to switch international allegiences??
    I think that might have just have been an idea that was being tossed around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    it was a concept tossed around for the western sydney team or the gold coast side to make up for the lack of depth of professional players within australia.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Still a long way to go!

1. Greg Somerville*
    2. Adam Freier
    3. Laurie Weeks
    4. Adam Byrnes
    5. Hoani McDonald*
    6. Tim Davidson
    7. Jarrod Saffy
    8. Gareth Delve*

9. Richard Kingi
    10. James Hilgendorf
    11. Peter Betham
    13. Stirling Mortlock
    14. Lachlan Mitchell
    15. Danny Cipriani*

18. Luke Jones
    20. Sam Cordingley

* Overseas Marquee Player

Rumour mill:

Billy Slater, Israel Folau and Mark Gasnier.

Remaining Overseas Marquee Positions: 6

Updated 16/05/10

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Looks very weak to me. A couple of injuries and the Lions will put 100 on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Looks very weak to me. A couple of injuries and the Lions will put 100 on them.
    Esp. with John Mitchell as coach.

vCash
    Yes well they have only recruited 18 players so
    I imagine a few injuries would hurt them
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Rebels deny missing stars would be a massive blow

STATHI PAXINOS
    May 17, 2010

MELBOURNE Rebels acting chief executive Pat Wilson yesterday said it would not be a massive blow for the start-up Super rugby club if prospective star recruits Mark Gasnier and Israel Folau spurned its offers.

The two players have been trumpeted all year as potential marquee signings for the Rebels, who enter the expanded Super rugby competition as its 15th team next season.

Folau is weighing up huge offers from the Rebels and AFL's Greater Western Sydney team, but there has also been speculation that the superstar could remain in league.

Gasnier, who has been playing rugby in France, returned to Australia last week with his wife. He has been linked to his former NRL club, St George Illawarra.

Wilson said the club would continue its ''recruitment strategy'' regardless of what the pair decided.

''The issue for Israel is he has to make a decision for what suits him,'' Wilson said. ''It's an important decision and we're more focused on what's right and for players to come to Melbourne for the right reasons.

''We're not viewing things as a win-loss. It's a win-win for us and if it doesn't work, life will go on. It is not a massive blow. This will not decimate the organisation.

''We will move on, we've got a lot of expertise, a lot of experience and we've still got a very, very good roster that we're putting together.'' (Look forward to seeing it when you get around to announcing it...)

Source: The Age

Rebels add trio to squad

May 17, 2010 - 4:25PM

While they wait for the playing future of Israel Folau and Mark Gasnier to be decided, the Melbourne Rebels have added a further three names to their Super rugby squad.

Former representative second-rower Alister Campbell, former Force back James Hilgendorf and young Queensland prop Heath Tessman have signed on with the new franchise, which will join the expanded competition from next year.

Giant centre Folau is torn between remaining with the Brisbane Broncos, playing rugby with the Rebels or joining AFL expansion team Greater Western Sydney, and said he would make his decision this month with Rebels officials still hopeful.

They are also still waiting on a decision from Gasnier, who has been playing rugby in France, although he's reportedly set to return to the NRL.

Melbourne are also negotiating with former Australian league representative Luke Rooney, who has been playing for French club Toulon for the last two seasons.

Hilgendorf will return to Australia from playing in Japan with Kobe Steel and impressed Rebels assistant coach Damien Hill with his versatility and experience.

"Jimmy will be a huge asset to the Melbourne Rebels," Hill said.

"He has the ability to cover 10, 12 and 15, possesses a strong kicking and passing game and has the size and footwork to play at the line in attack."

Campbell, who played four Tests for the Wallabies in 2005, previously played for NSW and the Brumbies before moving to France with Montpellier.

Forwards coach Mark Bakewell rated highly the 30-year-old's leadership qualities.

"Another captain in the ranks, he's an incredibly positive and enthusiastic guy, a great leader and organiser around lineout," Bakewell said.

"He's going to be a great addition to the foundation group."

Tessman, currently with the Queensland Reds Academy squad, can play hooker and loose head.

The trio bring the squad size to 18.

Melbourne Rebels: Peter Betham, Adam Byrnes, Alister Campbell, Danny Cipriani, Sam Cordingley, Tim Davidson, Gareth Delve, Adam Freier, James Hilgendorf, Luke Jones, Richard Kingi, Hoani Macdonald, Lachlan Mitchell, Stirling Mortlock, Jarrod Saffy, Greg Somerville, Heath Tessman, Laurie Weeks.

AAP

Last edited by Burgs; 18-05-10 at 13:06.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Slowly getting there, counting Senior Academy they are just over half way:

1. Greg Somerville*
    2. Adam Freier
    3. Laurie Weeks
    4. Alister Campbell
    5. Hoani McDonald*
    6. Tim Davidson
    7. Jarrod Saffy
    8. Gareth Delve*

9. Richard Kingi
    10. James Hilgendorf
    11. Peter Betham
    12. Julian Huxley
    13. Stirling Mortlock
    14. Lachlan Mitchell
    15. Danny Cipriani*

17. Heath Tessman
    18. Luke Jones
    19. Adam Byrnes
    20. Sam Cordingley

* Overseas Marquee Player

Rumour mill:

Luke Rooney, Billy Slater, Israel Folau and Mark Gasnier.

Remaining Overseas Marquee Positions: 6

Updated 19/05/10

Last edited by Burgs; 19-05-10 at 13:17.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    michael lipman has reportedly been cleared to sign as well

vCash
    and now hux apprently

vCash
    I wonder which of Hilgendorf and Cipriani will make way for Hux? Are they going to pay an overseas marquee to sit on the bench?

vCash
    I would say, Hilgendorf and Hux filling the 5/8, fullback spots and Cipriani at 2nd 5.

Solid - but like the force this yr, 'not world class' and lacking a world class 5/8 .... a Nonu or T.Smith type bloke signed to partner Mortlock would allow Cirpriani to concentrate on 5/8 and strenghten the bench with Hilf/Hux.

.....also with the amount of Islanders now residing in Melbourne and contributing to over 50% of registered jnr players i think we'll be seeing a few (islanders) signed in the coming months, a similar mix to the storm i would say.

exciting times ahead.

Last edited by Pacman; 19-05-10 at 16:27.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast