Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do we have a siege mentality?

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I would have thought you would get on with your life instead of worrying about Sydney/Melbourne showboating.
    Well I'll try to explain why I have had to come to understand the dynamics of interstate relationships.

It's no secret that I am a dairyfarmer, for anyone with a passing interest in the rural industries it is also no secret that the industry was deregulated in the year 2000 and has since struggled.

I can't begin to explain the depth of perception of Eastern Stated bias within the dairy industry. My father will still occasionally sprout on about how "we sent them free heifers to help them rebuild after the Ash Wendesday fires and then they turned around and bought in that bloody levy" I only use this as an exaple of how deep the feeling runs when percieved injustice is still being used as an example 25 years later.

I will explain though the deregulation of my industry and how it relates to our seige mentality. About 80% of milk in Australia at the time was being produced in Victoria and their industry was the least regulated in Australia. Effectively Victoria wanted access to the Sydney domestic market and pushed for total market deregulation making the (now proven to be false) assumption that NSW's industry would not be able to compete in Sydneys domestic market. The effects of deregulation on WA's dairy industry are best described as destructive. At the time of deregulation there were ~500 dairy farms, there are now about 170. There have been several suicides by farmers, and my chats with local mental health professionals tell me that my industry is grossly over represented.

If I was to choose to view dairy industry deregulation through the point of view that I grew up around - that the actions of Victoria was deliberate along with the suffering it created, I would probably be very angry, like alot of other dairyfarmers are. Instead though I have choosen to understand the real reasons that we ended up as collateral damage and can understand the problem without assigning blame.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    so long as I can go to Woolworths or Coles or the local Green Grocer (I usually buy the Harvey Fresh Milk from them) to get milk I'm not too fussed. But like I said, I usually buy the local product anyway (Harvey Fresh is local isn't it?)

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    so long as I can go to Woolworths or Coles or the local Green Grocer (I usually buy the Harvey Fresh Milk from them) to get milk I'm not too fussed.
    Did you understand my post?

Yes Harvey Fesh is local, they all are.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    so long as I can go to Woolworths or Coles or the local Green Grocer (I usually buy the Harvey Fresh Milk from them) to get milk I'm not too fussed. But like I said, I usually buy the local product anyway (Harvey Fresh is local isn't it?)
    And there lies the problem the whole food production industry in WA faces.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Did you understand my post?
    did you understand mine? I highlighted that I like to support any local produce where possible, probably not in the best words but that was the jist I was trying to get at

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    And there lies the problem the whole food production industry in WA faces.
    How so?

vCash
    acually re-reading your post made me more interested. How did de-regualtion destroy the local dairy production?

Re-reading posts is bad, more detail please....after all I am only a city boy....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    If I was to choose to view dairy industry deregulation through the point of view that I grew up around - that the actions of Victoria was deliberate along with the suffering it created, I would probably be very angry, like alot of other dairyfarmers are. Instead though I have choosen to understand the real reasons that we ended up as collateral damage and can understand the problem without assigning blame.
    So how does that contribute to an actual sige mentality as opposed to hating Victorians for ruining your industry? Or were NSW farmers in it as well?

Rookie
    vCash
    what he is saying jargan is that it would be easy for him to adopt a seige mentality given the scenario but he has chosen to be pragmatic and understand that it was the result of circumstances rather than an atititudinal bias against W.A

A seige mentality is a framework through people see which every action or comment by an outside body as a having an a negative bias or deriving from a dislike or need to hurt damage the opposing group.

In the case of the force if growden writes an article saying the force need to get this sorted out , is it because he hates the force or is it because that is his job and he would do the same to any other team.

I think the latter . He was the journo that coined the phrase fort fumble to describe nsw.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Growden used the phrase "Fort Fumble" to describe the ARU while Flowers was in power. He dropped it soon after O'Neill got back.

Connolly should have taken Growden out the back when he had the chance at the Sydney airport.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I was always a big fan of Masters Milk when I lived in WA - especially their Chocolate Milk. I was a huge fan of their TV ads "You think that Masters Choc comes from Chocolate Cows" as were many teenage boys of that era. There was this Girl about halfway thru the ad that if you looked closely you could see her....

but I digress

WA does have a Us versus the East Coast mentality - it has been around for a very long time, since the Referendum for Nationalisation in 1900.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    We seem to have gone off track here, back to the original question:
    do you think the Eastern states press are really out to knock the force down a peg or two or do they treat the force the same as everyone else?
    Realistically, I think all the teams pretty much cop it all year round. Why do you ask?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I was always a big fan of Masters Milk when I lived in WA - especially their Chocolate Milk. I was a huge fan of their TV ads "You think that Masters Choc comes from Chocolate Cows" as were many teenage boys of that era. There was this Girl about halfway thru the ad that if you looked closely you could see her....
    Ankle???

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    We seem to have gone off track here, back to the original question:

Realistically, I think all the teams pretty much cop it all year round. Why do you ask?
    Because i read a lot on here when the force is critisized , that people feel that it is because of jealousy or a dislike for all things w.a.

And i dont think that this is accurate i think the force cop flak as badly as any team has when going through difficulty.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    OK - as I said - Realistically, I think all the teams pretty much cop it all year round.

In the context the question was raised - on a Western Force supporters website - I think it is a bit irrelevant and seems designed to make us appear narrow minded or a bit dull witted.

Many here would probably accept the statement I make above as pretty much right, more or less.

I'm a Force supporter - I want passion, intensity and rivalry. I want the adrenalin to pump before during and after a match, I want to win, and I want to crow about it when we do.

You don't build up to this by neutrally accepting criticisms leveled at the Force by 3rd parties. Whilst I can accept there may well be truth in what the press has to say, it's an adversarial sport and I'll side with my team and yell blue murder at anyone knocking them.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Dave Hughes writes:
    "...the fly-half asking to be paid in full the amount due from Firepower before he considers extending his stay...[Giteau] had warned possible courses of action included seeking an immediate release if his requirements were not met..."I'd be surprised and disappointed if it comes to that," Force chief executive Greg Harris said yesterday. "Matt's a person of good character and I'd like to think he would honour his contract with the Force and our fans. He's a fantastic player who is adored by the supporters and we'd like to think he will maintain his role. We've done all we can to mitigate his losses in a very difficult economic time, which indicates the value we place on him. We consider him integral to our viability."

and the SMH manages to turn this into:
    "The West Australian reports that Giteau wants to be paid the full amount owed under his contract before he considers staying at the franchise.

"I'd be surprised and disappointed if it came to that," Force chief executive Greg Harris told the West Australian. "We consider him integral to our viability."
    Maybe, but this one does stick in the memory. Hard to decide whether it was intentional or just rank incompetence...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast