Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The hot dry bit...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "The young Wallaby will start the game with No 15 on his back but will double up and move into the backline as a playmaker.

Coach John Mitchell will play the talented 19-year-old at fullback when his side are defending but, as he has done several times since his 2008 debut, will switch him to fly-half or inside centre when on attack.

This will push backline players out one spot with former Australian U-20 fullback Dane Haylett-Petty moving to the last line of defence and centre Josh Tatupu covering his vacant wing."

I gotta bad feeling about this Charlie Brown...
    So much room for communication breakdown allowing for gaps, fair enough two players in a direct swap but you are talking five placement shuffles every time we go from D to A or vice versa. Including in half of them Tatupu needing to leave the line to cross over to the other Wing.... oh boy...

I..........HAVE....................FAITH......

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm not so sure Burgs, this looked a lot like the sort of stuff they were doing last week when JOC slipped into first receiver. I'd reckon they've worked on it at training during the preseason with that being their trick play to boost the attack. I'd reckon the only difference is that it'll happen a lot more often this week.

If it works, there'll also be a lot more room for Harry to play, he should do a helluva lot better with JOC taking the pressure ooff more regularly

C'mon the

vCash
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........
    I like the less complicated version. 10 & 15 switcharoo.
    What they're proposing is ok for a backline that has trained and played together for a weeks. It'll be hard enough just getting continuity without the labyrinth.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........
    I like the less complicated version. 10 & 15 switcharoo.
    What they're proposing is ok for a backline that has trained and played together for a weeks. It'll be hard enough just getting continuity without the labyrinth.
    To be fair that could be suicidal against the Canes. The have one of the world's form fullbacks in Jane who would absolutely destroy Harris in the air and in the kicking contest if he was played there (where I don't think he's ever played before). DHP could surely have been an option at 15, but clearly Mitchell doesn't yet rate him there by his comments midweek. Also we then would be very thin on the wings....

Hoping for a much better performance from Harris this week- to be fair last week was not relective of the guy's ability. Have watched a lot of him in the Shute Shield and although not amazing at 10, he's usually pretty solid. Would be pretty unlucky to have SUCH a poo game two weeks running.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post

Glad you said "AFRICAN".. nothing more insulting than being called a Saffa when we're obviously not (not that theres anything wrong with Saffa's hey Pete? ) for the sake of the Force i hope you're right Woody
    oh??!!
    i thought they were called jarpies? ~laughs~

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm not so sure Burgs, this looked a lot like the sort of stuff they were doing last week when JOC slipped into first receiver.
    JOC also dropped to Full Back sometimes when the boys were on defense in our half last season. When Mitchell had 15 on his back. It was noticeable after the match where Corey Jane made Mitchell look like a turnstile. More than once. Mitchell went to the wing and the others moved in one spot.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It isn't so much the theory and reasoning behind it, it is the implimentation and communication for 80 minutes that I'm concerned about.
    It only takes one of five players to miss the timing of the call or the actual switch or do it as an accidental turnover happens and good night Irene.
    To do it as a variation, yeah no dramas, been doing since 2006 in various forms, but not as a full match strategy.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    It isn't so much the theory and reasoning behind it, it is the implimentation and communication for 80 minutes that I'm concerned about.
    Fair point. I reckon JM would have the same concerns with such a re-jigged team. Hopefully it will well measured. But you know the cliche about nothing ventured.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying it worked, but it functioned anyway.

Harris was better overall, with a couple of clangers.

JO'C went ok, with a couple of clangers and nothing screaming he is the next Bernie. To me he is still a Giteau, a great (future) #12 and wasted at #10. He had a good match overall but not because of his positional play, more his broken play.

I did like most of Hunts cameo, though the same concerns exist (ie partnering with JO'C etc) if he were to start.

If todays plan is what it takes to get to the Bye then so be it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was heartened to see Hunt's work, he looked a lot sharper and more mature than against the Reds, with management he's definately the future 10. I can see what all the nudgee boys are saying about tackling smoke, he's as agile as Rabbit, those two next to each other would be lethal.

I looked hard to see a chink in Rabbit's game, and the only one was he seemed to be a bit rushed at 10. I'd prefer getting a solid 10 and pushing Harris out (Or maybe using Inman as the 12 and Harris as the 13)

Josh was still a bit of a worry defensively and Dane let a couple of tries through (Tamati Ellison stepped him about five times, and laid on a try in two of them)

Overall, a pretty good performance from a beaten up squad. We just need to sort out the long term injuries to get some experience back on the field and we'll do OK!

C'mon the

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5