Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ripia resigns from Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    BY: WAYNE SMITH From: The Australian January 12, 2012 12:00AM

In the end, Ripia virtually gave himself up. The surveillance camera mounted over the players' lockers could hardly have been more conspicuous and yet Ripia still went brazenly from locker to locker searching for one that was unlocked. Case closed.

On Tuesday, club officials called him in, sat him down and played him the surveillance tape. They didn't need to hear him confess because the footage said it all but Ripia did anyway. Then the discussion turned to whether he should be suspended or have his contract torn up. Again Ripia made it easy for the Force.

He resigned on the spot, effective immediately.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226242095430
    I dunno but something about this sounds odd to me. Maybe the account of it is just badly written.
    I had assumed the cctv was hidden. If he knew it was there, why still do it and then deny it? Not that bright?
    If I was the gambling kind I'd bet he didn't steal from any of the other bro's.
    A career in tatters and the end of another sad story of an EWF flyhalf.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    I dunno but something about this sounds odd to me. Maybe the account of it is just badly written.
    I had assumed the cctv was hidden. If he knew it was there, why still do it and then deny it? Not that bright?
    If I was the gambling kind I'd bet he didn't steal from any of the other bro's.
    A career in tatters and the end of another sad story of an EWF flyhalf.

Scalfolding is always an option now is it not ?

vCash
    Or ambassador for Gambler's Anon.

Jokes aside, I do have empathy as I would assume he won't be playing rugby anywhere anytime soon, or not without his own locker room.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    The CCTV footage was only recent, and he admitted after they showed the footage. Think it only says he denied it after being confronted the first time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    An addict is an addict. 64
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Scalfolding is always an option now is it not ?
    I wasn't aware there was an association between scaffolding and kiwis but I had read reference to it on this very website.

There's a 2-storey house being built across the road. The first storey was finished, the concrete/cement? was poured on top for the next storey and left to cure(?)
    Some days later, 2 shiny 4-wheel drives pull up and out jumps about 12 young kiwi fellas, off come their shirts and up goes the scaffolding in about an hour or two.

And I thought, geez - what you read on twf.com.au is actually true.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    My guess will be a young queenslander, just like a rabbit, perhaps a duck or even a dux to take the vacant spot
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Cooper is a young Queenslander isn't he?

ooops,sorry,he has form

vCash
    Jesus H Christ . Off the grid for a few days and the 10 curse strlikes again. Fugg! and the double Fugg.

BRiNG BACK JIMMY !!!

AND RETIRE THE 10 SHIRT!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Jesus H Christ . Off the grid for a few days and the 10 curse strlikes again. Fugg! and the double Fugg.

BRiNG BACK JIMMY !!!

AND RETIRE THE 10 SHIRT!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    lets put a 30 on the number 10 jumper instead

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Shamed Ripia returns to NZ, apologises to Force

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    January 12, 2012, 12:16 pm

Disgraced Western Force playmaker Willie Ripia who quit after being caught stealing from teammates, has apologised for the damage he has caused the club.

Ripia, who has a chronic gambling problem, resigned on Tuesday after being caught on CCTV stealing money from teammates wallets and kitbags at the Force's Mt Claremont headquarters.

In a statement issued today, Ripia's manager, Kent Hale from Inside Running said: "Willie is devastated with the impact gambling has had on him and is determined to work through his problem.

"He is deeply remorseful for his actions and the damage and disruption they have had on those close to him and the Western Force.

"Willie has returned to New Zealand to be supported by his family in Rotorua as he works through serious issues relating to gambling.

"Willie will be in a supportive family environment while he engages professional support to help him address his gambling problem."

Ripia had been questioned several times by senior Force management over several months about his involvement after players reported money missing but continually denied his involvement

On Friday he was caught on the CCTV in the club change rooms and was confronted with the evidence on Tuesday morning.

He resigned as management was considering his future at the club.

Ripia, 26, has been undergoing counselling - arranged by the Force - for his gambling both externally and through a player representative.

Police have not been called into investigate at this stage as none of the players who lost money have made an official complaint outside of the club.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ises-to-force/

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Should have manned up an read the statement himself if he wanted to be genuine.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I don't know whether its necessary to be overly judgmental, yes his a dick for doing what he did, but i do feel sympathy for a guy who's world has just shattered around him. He has to live with the reputation of what his done now.

Pathological gambling actually has links to other impulse control disorders(evident in his brazen stealing). Its not always as simple as it seems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    I don't know whether its necessary to be overly judgmental, yes his a dick for doing what he did, but i do feel sympathy for a guy who's world has just shattered around him. He has to live with the reputation of what his done now.

Pathological gambling actually has links to other impulse control disorders(evident in his brazen stealing). Its not always as simple as it seems.

i agree. it would have been a compulsion to steal for him. we can all assume that he was only stealing because he had lost all his money.
    it's an addiction and i hope he can get the help he needs.

however it's all well and good to say he wants to get better. but until he actually feels he wants to get better he wont stop. I.E the stuff that's happened the ben cousins this week. he's back in rehab because he relapsed.

i hope he gets the help he needs and gets back on track. but i think it will be a while (if ever) before we hear of him again after the stories have stopped)

i mean getting angry and being pissed off at him isnt going to do anything. the players havent pressed charges. so while they would undoubtedly be pissed off that they were being stolen from. it shows they still care about him and his welfare. any addiction is a debilitating condition. and i think it's great that none of the force boys have pressed charges. shows how much of a team unit they are IMO

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I totally have sympathy for him and hope he can get on top of it all, I just believe if he wanted to appear genuine in his apology to the team and the supporters he should have done it in the first person and not hidden behind his agent. His agent wasn't in the locker room but the words will be coming out of his mouth, not Ripia's. The judgement is on his actions since the incident, not what led to it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast