Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Some SMH Journo Claims: James O'Connor joins Melbourne Rebels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I didn't realise your thought that Giteau and Mitchell destroyed their careers by going to the force. While they both had awkward protracted contract issues they really did well and continued their international careers while in the west and moreover are still doing well in 2011.
    what I was saying was, Giteau and Mitchell played crap whist they were in Perth, whether that was because they were resting on their laurels, or a difference of opinion with the coach (most likely he was saying they were overpriced and they didn't agree)

Either way, they sucked at the Force and Giteau still sucks at the Brumbies.....my guess, he doesn't have the mental toughness to be the inspirational leader he needs to be to meet his perceived potential.

I suspect Drew would have followed pretty much the same path if he stayed at Qld, but Gits would have been amongst a much stronger group of backs if he'd ignored the firepower money and would have been told, in no uncertain terms, to get his head out of his arse.

So yeah, their careers are worse off as a result of chasing the dollars, and the Force is the victim!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm sure it is just a trap

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    So yeah, their careers are worse off as a result of chasing the dollars, and the Force is the victim!
    So as I said, you do think that Giteau and Mitchell destroyed their careers by going to the force.

Personally I don't think that, they just took an option which had mixed results. The way I see it each player lost about 5-8K per match on unfulfilled third party payments. It was a silly amount of money but it was what was arranged.

However the Force did well they signed JOC because Giteau was there. Otherwise JOC would have gotten a run somewhere, likely played OZ 7s for another year and played the U20 RWC. His link with Giteau at the Force is what fast tracked his career.

The Force only gained by having high profile players. I wouldn't worry..

vCash
    You havent seen the last of Giteau.. not by a long shot.. i think he played well last week the rest of the team let him down.. even leleleleilefano was hot & cold, tackling was attrocious but he was dangerous in attack.. whereas Giteau tackled hard and sniped as is his hallmark and i saw none of the crabbing that made him so unpopular over west.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    They didn't destroy their careers by coming West, they just played crap and were a cancer on the fabric of an establishing structure and culture that's all.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Mitchell is a far better player than he ever was before he played at the Force.. I'd even have him on the wing for the wallabies, whereas I wouldn't have before he hardened the fark up in the west.

Giteau was an overhyped heneverwas before he came west. I never rated him. He runs sideways and throws bad passes and his kicking is shite. At least the pink fun foils have disappeared ....... sadly along with his speed.

The Brumbies have him in his best position at 15 which I suggested 5 years ago to howls of discontent

He is a fantastic runner of the football and 15 is his spot. He is shite at everything else and couldn't organise a gang bang at a minileague club

Controversy corner

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Mitchell wasted half his time over here by playing fullback(probably part of his contract)
    should have been shunted back to to the wing after his first game at FB

vCash
    Both matured as players in the West - Mitchell is way more consistent than when he arrived - Gits has hardened up enough to be thought of a proper leader - and the hair dressing thing seems to be a thing of the past. JOC and Pocock had a sheltered maturing process under Mitchell's eagle eye which we are reaping the rewards of now - where else could Drew Mitchell have gone at that time and been guaranteed playing time.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Mitchell wasted half his time over here by playing fullback(probably part of his contract)
    should have been shunted back to to the wing after his first game at FB

i think, drew was played at 15 because shep has been perpetually injured. and we have had cullet and spanner on the wings, as well as DHP for cover.

but the back line was and is interchangeable as well, just depends on what play they were running at the time.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    No, Drew played at 15 because that was an informal condition of him coming out here. He was never going to be fullback at the Reds while Latham was there. Shepherd played a good 8 games on the wing before that injury (2007) and he was in sensational form. He also played all of 2008. Drew on the other hand was abysmal in his first Force game against the Highlanders and neither kicked nor caught the ball well (although his next game against the Stormers was much better). I agree wholeheartedly with BDGF. The fact is/was Shepherd was a more natural fullback and Mitchell a more natural wing.

On the field, it is unfair to say that Giteau and Mitchell weren't good for the Force. I don't know enough about the off-field stuff to comment on that though. Having said that, Mitchell was definitely a better player for the 3 years he spent here and as Giteau seems to have regressed the West was probably good for him too.

I do wonder about Giteau's leadership, though. There was a kickable goal early on in the first half where the Brumbies took a crack at a try and botched it. He should've been there to calm down team and stop guys like Lilo and Mark Chisholm from throwing nothing passes which lead to tries for us. A cool-headed captain would've won that game for the Brumbies.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    i think, drew was played at 15 because shep has been perpetually injured. and we have had cullet and spanner on the wings, as well as DHP for cover.

but the back line was and is interchangeable as well, just depends on what play they were running at the time.
    Jono... Nice to read someone remembered what happened without blame. Mitchell played wing and fullback. Giteau played 10 because the Force either had injured players or Coach John Mitchell well knew that Giteau had played flyhalf to Henjaks halfback at Club level and was developed at brumbies runners as the next brumbies scrumhalf Flyhalf combo. (as thats really why he signed both). They also play junior club together which Mitchell also knew, Firepower was just the means to deliver the best scrum half flyhalf combo up and coming partnership to the force.

But the reality is JOC came to the Force because Giteau was there... Also its wasn't Giteaus fault his full contract agreements weren't met. He came in good faith. Drew Mitchell was a kid when he came cross to the force, he is doing well now because he is a fully developed player and some of that happened at the force.

Blaming a few past 20-22 something year old lads for unfulfilled fan expectations which were beyond the teams realistic grasp is unfair. Especially when their coach isn't included, is just unmerited... its a deflection of past responsibilities... the force are bigger than that now...

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    They didn't destroy their careers by coming West, they just played crap and were a cancer on the fabric of an establishing structure and culture that's all.
    Thats nonsense, the force signed James O'Connor because they were there...
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    No, Drew played at 15 because that was an informal condition of him coming out here. He was never going to be fullback at the Reds while Latham was there. Shepherd played a good 8 games on the wing before that injury (2007) and he was in sensational form. .
    Shep has been injured for more week than he has played for the force, regardless of his talent... and I like Shep...

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Giteau was an overhyped heneverwas before he came west. I never rated him. He runs sideways and throws bad passes and his kicking is shite.
    Rex Messup, I think your maybe GiGsy in disguise... yes, now I think about it makes sense... perhaps with a bucket bong...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I coming here to get lectured by you Muds...

But of the possible 74 games the Force has played, Sheps has played 54.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Rex Messup, I think your maybe GiGsy in disguise... yes, now I think about it makes sense... perhaps with a bucket bong...
    Shows what you know

C'mon the

vCash
    i was going to point out that sheps is also the highest try scorer and you dont get those sitting in the stands

vCash
    Mudskipper is regularly bent over the bar at the Brumbies with his cheeks stretched and a leather belt clenched in his teeth

Controversy corner

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast