Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Western Force push for Members Equity Staduim - We Got Corners!

vCash

MES Upgrade Feasibility

It seems to me that we are all a bit concerned about where the funding for the MES upgrade is going to come from correct? I am pretty sure though that we all understand that an upgrade to MES would be much cheaper than a new stadium, let alone a bogus, no point, multi-purpose stadium that seems to be dead!

That in mind an upgrade to MES, preferably a quality upgrade to bring the stadium into line with say Suncorp (not as big put the same sort of functionality), to seat say about 30000 (would be nice to be nearly 40000, but don’t think that would happen) is probably what we would be looking for correct?

The MES website (http://www.membersequitystadium.com.au) actually states the following,

“Members Equity Stadium has plans for a further 3 stages of development, accommodating up to 35,000 patrons. State of the art design and world-class corporate facilities will place the venue as Australia's benchmark for sporting and stadium events.”

Now this tells me that they, ALLIA, are definitely looking to upgrade the stadium to a venue which the WF and the fans would be comfortable. Would be nice to know how long these 3 stages is planned to take???

As for funding the upgrade I am sure that ALLIA would most likely be working on this already and have drawn up some details. I do have some ideas myself, even though they might be crazy!!!

It is understood that John ‘the man’ O’Neil has come over to put the squeeze on the newly appointed government to get them to come to the party! Maybe he got the governments boogie on I don’t know, does anybody? So partial government funding could be available for the MES upgrade. I am sure this is a possibility; the government could put it under their publics work fund I guess? Some how make the stadium have say a nice park land area (even thought it may be small). Who knows?

Now I am sure the ARU would be nice enough to throw some money the way of the WF for a “new stadium” right? So maybe that is some more money? As for the other codes, football and league, I would assume that at least the ARL would be interested in giving some money to the Reds since they need a nice stadium to play at for the 2012 ARL season right? Now the FFA on the other hand doesn’t seem to have as deep pockets as say the ARU or ARL (even though those aren’t that deep either). They may however have at least something to give.

Now the money from the WF, Reds and Glory may be a combination of the money from their governing bodies, their sponsors and from the sounds of it possibly even members? Of course this money raised may not even amount to much.

The money raised from the government, the sporting codes and the stadium owners (there are owners right, I am not so sure on this), however, could be used as a deposit and a partnership could be forged with a monetary fund of sort (is Members Equity one of these right). This must be possibly right?

This of course is a big investment and deals would need to be worked out to ensure all parties got their fair share. Now I believe someone stated that they wouldn’t want to help pay for an upgrade because they don’t feel they would get their monies back from the MES stadium and the events that are held at the grounds. Now I don’t think this is a fair statement. Once the WF make the move that would 6-7 events (possibly 13 games when they expand the competition to home/away rounds), plus the preseason game/s, all the home games for Glory, eventually all the home games for the Reds plus any music acts that can be accommodated on top. To me that would seem like quite a lot of events right? Ok so in the first season at MES there would probably only be the WF and Glory games, maybe some Reds (non-ARL games) and some music; but wouldn’t it be cheap to see all of that for say $2000 a funding-ticket right? But then again not everyone is going to want to go to these events. I am just saying there are quite a lot of events and this fan funding idea isn't so crazy.

Of course these ideas could be, and I would think are most likely, already in the pipe work (at least some of them). I just like putting my two cents in even if I am a little behind the eight ball here, as has been pointed out to me!! All I can do is pray for a 35000 seater stadium with corners, two big screens either end, easy access to bars, enough bars, enough amenities and easy access to them and a nice view of the ground from every seat!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    i havnt read this whole thread so excuse me if this has already been said,
    but the best way to approach the funding is through the FFA, it has a large piggy bank from the federal government and also from the world cup campaign that is being used towards its application for the world cup, this money is for stadium upgrades and infistructure. i will post the link later when im home, but if someone has time its on the ffa website under "mission statement" or some crap like that!

credit to you guys for the effort your going to, hope it pays off!

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    I understood that the FFA's piggybank was for campaigning to try to win the soccer world cup ? The pockets need to be very deep with all the pay-offs required to officials to secure their vote - there's a good book on FIFA corruption called "Goal".

If the federal donation includes for stadia upgrades then this may be an option for a longer term redevelopment. FIFA require sports stadiums that are nominated to host soccer world cup games to have a minimum capacity of 40,000. It is very doubtful that such a capacity can be provided within the physical constraints at MES. Hence whatever funds may be available for upgrades it is unlikely that MES would be contender. So we would need to be thinkng of somewhere completely different to upgrade and the timeframe involved in completing the work at such a location.

This leads us to the shorter term issue of what can be afforded in time for 2010 Super14 season and the resulting suitability of the facilities to meet the Force's wants/needs. It appears unlikely that the FFA piggybank would be deployed in these circumstances to assist with upgrades in the shorter term to meet the needs of another sport. However its a good point you raise and "thinking outside of the box" is just what is required.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Facility Management

Allia Venue Management currently manages Perth's largest and most prestigious rectangular Stadium, Members Equity Stadium, on behalf of the Town of Vincent. We ensure that the Stadium meets all relevant Australian standards and are responsible for: etc etc quoted before.

Full page here..
    It's ToV that is spear heading the push for the upgrade (It's their stadium after all). All codes / supporters that want a rectangular stadium / MES upgraded need to get behind them. Also RugbyWA, Glory, Reds, ARU, FFA, NRL have to put up a united front.

Things like TWF making it publicly aware (The petition) that people want a rectangular stadium / MES upgraded is helping give the ToV a stronger case to put to the state government for funding. If the ToV can get just a fraction of the 1.1b the former state government were going to spend on a MPS, the ToV should be ok to cover most of the cost of the MES upgrade.

Lets wait to see the out come from these negotiations, I think as supporters we should focus on putting the word out and drumming up as much support as possible (I know I complain to everyone about it ). If ToV get screwed by the State Governmnet, we can go and riot at parliment house.

0 Not allowed!
    Go The Force!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullback View Post
    If ToV get screwed by the State Governmnet, we can go and riot at parliment house.
    Ahhhhh.... plan B

0 Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Ahhhhh.... plan B
    Yes always there, always reliable, and our parliament house is such an easy target

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Plan B !!!! What a brilliant plan! Why didn't we go straight to plan B... it's evil, it's diabolical... hmmm ah, but wait it has a flaw! It's not lemon scented! Damn! Back to peaceful lobbying...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by normie; 14-01-09 at 17:06. Reason: strait? as in Bass? straight is probably better...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Plan B !!!! What a brilliant plan! Why didn't we go straight to plan B... it's evil, it's diabolical... hmmm ah, but wait it has a flaw! It's not lemon scented! Damn! Back to peaceful lobbying...
    Bah of course it can be lemon scented. While we riot in parliment house, you can be on cleaning duty

0 Not allowed!
    Go The Force!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'll start saving up my cow shit for you in case you want to do Plan B in the French tradition...

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Rugby WA were a lot more mature and positive in their response .........................

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I'll start saving up my cow shit for you in case you want to do Plan B in the French tradition...
    This is also known as the "Richmond remedy"

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    Rugby WA were a lot more mature and positive in their response .........................
    Do you not have a sense of humour?
    Posted via Mobile Device

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Welcome to the dark side, Burgs.

0 Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    Now what is so immature and negative about storming the baricades that suppress us. Wonderful french tradition, could plan for it on Bastille Day and everything

Surely we don't always have to be serious.

Burgs, I've got at least a semi load all ready and rearing to go. Just need to hire the orbital spreader.

0 Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Just need to hire the orbital spreader.
    Now that my friend is art, pure art

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast