Poll: Having daylight saving in Western Australia is:

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Year 3

vCash
    Ok I need to way into this debate

Now there seems to be people who think they loose and gain time due to daylight savings! This is a huge misconception, you neither loose or gain time. All that happens is the hour is shifted forward and back. Nothing lost nothing gained.

Even though i am a supporter of DLS I will admit the first couple of weeks when it comes in and the weeks after it has finished are a little tough! Other than that I love the idea! Having more sunlight (in the sense that the sunlight can be more effectively used, there isn't actually more) in the afternoon to go and chill out after work is great.

I am pretty sure though that daylight savings is more cost effective to business than it is to the general public. I don't know the details with that exactly, but it must be easier to work with the eastern states at least. I know it is easier to work with international countries who also have daylight savings.

Even though I am a supporter I do think that from Geraldton and up there shouldn't be any daylight savings. That unfortunately would be damn difficult to work!! The range of sunlight doesn't vary enough up north that much as it does down here in the southern areas.

I think it is great, I think the government should for once govern, make a big decision for once and bring it in; instead of always expecting the populous to make the big life changing decisions for the state!!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Gee - maybe people who think Perth is boring should move out??? Love the negativity some of you have to the greatest city in the world!

And I actually like the bell tower but not many of you would know the history of those bells, so before you continue slagging it I'll give you a free little lesson.

The bells were given to Western Australia for the bicentenialI think. They were given to us by the UK, they are very old and very expensive.

\Now after we received them they were put into storage by the then Government at the time to decide what to do with them.

Just before the bell tower was designed and commissioned they were still in storage, nearly 15 or so years later.

The UK said to the W.A. govt at the time, use them or loose them!

Can you imagine if the Liberal Court govt had done nothing and had them reposessed?

So they decided to build the tower and put the bells in it to keep them in W.A.

I think it is great, and went in when it opened to see the bells ring and the bell ringers do their stuff, it was quite interesting.

Yes some times Perth is alittle sleepy, I would love 24 hour shopping - but I hate it when people sit back and bag everything which makes Perth the great city it is. If you don't like the bells, the wheel and miss ben cousins - stay at home and surf the internet!

Last edited by Happy; 28-01-09 at 11:01.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I would like to continue on from Happy's post.
    WA has it's own particular little quirks and most of us can at least identify them.

They all have their own origins within the history of our state, for example our disdain for the East largely has it's origins in the anti-transportation (of convicts) debate.

I appreciate my state for what it is, rather than dismiss it for what it isn't. I spent last week in Perth with my family and loved it. While there we visited the Perth museum and had a great time (yes the one we desperately need to replace?).

One of my favourite parts was an annonomous quote from one of the original settlers wives in 1830 "the man who decided that this was a good place to settle deserves hanging nine times over". You could argue that negativity towards Perth even though we live here has been with us since the begining. But I walked around a city that has it's own beauty and unique history and felt pride, possibly even more so because the first people got here and were initially heartbroken.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    And I actually like the bell tower but not many of you would know the history of those bells, so before you continue slagging it I'll give you a free little lesson.

The bells were given to Western Australia for the bicentenialI think. They were given to us by the UK, they are very old and very expensive.
    Happy, why the presumption that anyone with a differing opinion is ignorant/stupid? Isn't it possible people already know the contents of said 'lesson' but came to a different conclusion?

Yes, actually, I do know the deal with the bells, even if I wasn't here when all the business with the belltower was going on.

Correct, most of them are very old- 6 I think are from the St Martin's in the Field church in England, and have a long history which includes being rung to celebrate victory in the Battle of Trafalger (again, I think, I'm going from memory here and it's been a while). The remainder were cast for the new belltower, which was built with money granted as part of the centenary of federation celebrations. It's great to have something with a history like that- perhaps it's easier for me to say because I am blissfully unaware of the politics of building it.

The wheel on the other hand is so "Me too!"- London has one, Singapore has one, Melbourne has one, so Perth better have one too, even though it's very isolated on the foreshore there, and you can get just as good (better, in my opinon) views from Kings Park- which I'd have thought would constitute the more 'outdoors, laid-back, "Perth"' way to go about it.

I choose to make my home here because I do like the city very much, the fantastic climate and laid-back atmosphere- and that's the first thing I tell people when they ask if I'll ever move back east. I don't like spending gorgeous Saturday mornings at the supermarket and I don't like hearing about Ben Cousins every bloody day, but perhaps you have to be born here to realise that those are the "things that make the city great"

Last edited by Swee_82; 28-01-09 at 14:32.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    who said anything about people being stupid? I said not many of you would know, because quite frankly I've never heard anyone say anything about the bell tower apart from "what a waste of money and it is boring" So from my sample of maybe a hundred odd people over the past decade I think I can accurately assume many people do not know why it is there, that doesn't mean they are stupid but it does mean my statement can be classes as accurate!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    The only problem IMHO with the bell tower is that it is not big enough to make a significant statement . But tricky Dicky had a hard enough time getting approval for the size we have now. It still looks great but imagine it at double or triple the size!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    The wheel on the other hand is so "Me too!"- London has one, Singapore has one, Melbourne has one, so Perth better have one too, even though it's very isolated on the foreshore there, and you can get just as good (better, in my opinon) views from Kings Park- which I'd have thought would constitute the more 'outdoors, laid-back, "Perth"' way to go about it.
    Sorry the ferris wheel that Perth has cannot be compared to the ones in London, Singapore and Melbourne. Those ones are huge, and the Perth one doesn't even come close! Perth has got a wheel the same size as Brisbane!!! For some reason there is a ferris wheel epidemic going around this country that seriously needs to be stopped! The one in Brisbane looks to me as a waste of bloody money and so does the one in Perth! Tell me what is the point, it has no significance that i can see and you can't see anymore than you would if you went to King's Park! Anyone know how much money from the government went into that wheel at all? Money that could have gone to MES!!!

Oh by the way have we slipped off topic here a little at all????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unipirate View Post
    Sorry the ferris wheel that Perth has cannot be compared to the ones in London, Singapore and Melbourne. Those ones are huge, and the Perth one doesn't even come close! Perth has got a wheel the same size as Brisbane!!!
    Yeah, that was kind of my point, though yeah, I left out the fact that it's a bit puny compared to those ones. I don't really understand the current obsession with ferris wheels full stop. anywhere.

FWIW, I think the City of Perth are paying for the bulk of it, but vaguely recall Carps smiling like a goose when it was first announced, so take that with the proverbial grain of salt.

Oh by the way have we slipped off topic here a little at all????
    that's probably not a bad thing

vCash
    Gee - maybe people who think Perth is boring should move out???
    Classic parochial knee jerk reaction when anyone compares Perth to anywhere East of Norseman

The wheel on the other hand is so "Me too!"- London has one, Singapore has one, Melbourne has one, so Perth better have one too
    The Perth one is only 60 metres high, but apparently the contracts for it stated that the Perth City Council wanted one the same size as Melbourne which is 100 metres high. When told that they couldn't get one that was 100 metres high, instead of canning the idea, the City of Perth chose to go ahead with it anyway. Not sure sure how the big the London Eye is but I'm sure It is bigger and gives a better view. Melbourne also with no established "high point" for a good view sure, but Perth with Kings Park nearby?

the Ferris wheel is the buggest waste of money since the Government bailed out the WAFC when they upgraded Subiaco oval

but thanks for the History lesson

that's probably not a bad thing
    whys that, not like we're going to send death threats to Pollies or refuse to change our clocks

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    We'll be getting a monorail next!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The wheel didn't cost the WA taxpayers, state government nor perth city council a single cent. It is funded by the private company World Tourist Attractions. All the W.A. govt had to do was give approval for the location as the site is controlled by the state government. There are great little businesses down in Barrack Square, not to mention the Bell Tower, which would benefit greatly from the increased visitation the Observation Wheel.

vCash
    wow

I think I have found the first person who is pro-ferris wheel

Still pretty pointless when you have a much better "High ground" in Kings Park and the view is better.

All the Wheel is good for is seeing the empty foreshore and sheep shearing shed convention centre

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    We'll be getting a monorail next!
    like ogdenville and new haverbrook???????

vCash
    Oh check this out!!!! This is what Joseph Sapienza from the Age has to say about the ferris wheel

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/ferr...i.html?page=-1

bloody good laugh!!!!

vCash
    The wheel didn't cost the WA taxpayers, state government nor perth city council a single cent. It is funded by the private company World Tourist Attractions. All the W.A. govt had to do was give approval for the location as the site is controlled by the state government. There are great little businesses down in Barrack Square, not to mention the Bell Tower, which would benefit greatly from the increased visitation the Observation Wheel.
    Well damn it, not a cent. There goes that argument!!

Still think it is an eye sore!!!!

Plus I don't think the bell tower (even though it does have some history) and the ferris wheel are that great tourist attractions!! I really just don't see it! Sorry to me it is still a complete and utter waste

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast