Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Matt Giteau Back to Brumbies

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Solo... Unfortunately I wont be at the match as I'm in Sydney... I'll catch it not FOX... It will be a good match... last years match was good, Force come back win at home. Brumbies lost direction after a great first half... Some good head to head Wallaby match ups...
    Just out of curiosity Mudskipper. Have you ever lived in Canberra?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    the tahs were able to sign two front rowers in the time the force have been in the comp that have now played for the wallabies, the force have ignored there tight five in this time. its pretty obvious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Just out of curiosity Mudskipper. Have you ever lived in Canberra?
    Yes I grew up in Canberra...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Hmmmm....

This much carry-on, anyone would think Giteau was considered a bankable certainty to stay. Seriously, when he turned down the $1.6M to extend just two years, what odds did anyone give of him staying? He's going, was always likely to, but so what: he fulfilled his contractual obligations, and whether he left for money and family or because of resentment and a lack of trust in the Force, the fact remains that he is going. Personally, if it was the money, I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same in his position.

He was always likely to leave and, frankly, I am glad he has at least made things clear. Media crap was an inevitability this year: if he had said nothing, it would be endless rounds of "will he stay or will he go now". Instead, we will be getting "who will follow?". There must be few hacks out there pissed that he has made a definitive statement though, all that good pregurgitated copy gone to waste.

But say players do follow, so what? If senior players feel the need to follow him, they are hardly the leaders this franchise needs. Junior players might be tempted, but they in particular would really need to assess who they'll be up against, the training programs and the game time they can expect. Any which way though, if players move others must be displaced. Giteau going back to the ACT is certainly not good news for one or more of Lealifano, Mortlock and Ashley-Cooper.

And I don't get the "he can't be trusted" line either. Look at the off-contract list on one of the other threads...are all those players untrustworthy until they make a decision about next year, or only once they make it? And maybe I missed it - where was it revealed that he didn't tell his teammates and they all had to catch it on the news? All the reports I saw were on Saturday/Sunday, but was there was some news reports on Friday that the players caught so that it could affect their match? He either told them like a team man and it affected their game, or he didn't and it had no effect. A little consistency in the vilification, please!

And blaming the RugbyWA board for not making a decision; well, they did. If there was tension between MG and JM, then they made their choice. It may not be the one you'd agree with, but that's just unfortunate. If there was no tension, then it wasn't an either/or situation in the first place. As I've posted elsewhere, my suspicion is that there may be some issue with the coaching staff as a whole but it quite likely doesn't lie with John Mitchell alone. But given all the reporting, I can't help but wonder whether in the back of his mind Andy Friend might just be wondering if he has just been given a snake to cuddle...

On the whole though, I don't see anyone blaming the Brumbies. The Force might be entitled to enquire exactly how the whole process got done so neatly without inappropriate contractual and third-party contacts, but hey, I'm sure the ARU would be all over something like that now that the Force has defined the rate scales for fining naughtiness.

Anyway, I guess the important thing is to establish the situation with O'Connor and start making plans for the future...

vCash
    If he gets a 10 year player career he has already given the Force 3 of those years and he wasn't prepared to waste 2 more under Mitchell... Its just time for him to move on to the next stage in his career... Don't begrudge him that, he has given plenty to the Force... The Force will restructure and don’t need saving they just need to be managed better… No need to panic or I'm stating to think some of you don't believe in the Force surviving...

AndyS… I don't think Andy Friend thinks Giteau is a snake, that’s a tad malicious... I’m thinking, he thinking, he just bagged one of the best playmakers in the world, and furthermore a hometown boy who will bring back the big crowds to the BRUMBIES…

Gregan, Giteau, Rathbone

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It was just a thought - Friend is no stranger to the Rugby politics; they cost him his job at the Waratahs after all. But cuddling a snake...welcome to a little thing I like to call metaphor.

But hey, you are probably right, I am sure he will look on Gits with his known history with Nucifora and now Mitchell (recognising of course that you believe no media statements to the contrary) with wide eyed innocence and total trust. Like a cute little puppy dog - oh, wait, that's right, I met the guy when he was interviewing for the Force job and he is a very smart unit. Personally, I have no doubt he will have Gits earn any trust he gets.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    One thing I find amazing is that M. Giteau said
    I feel proud of myself that I've honoured my contract.
    Now I am not a lawyer but if he has a legal contract to play Rugby for the Western Force for the 07 - 09 seasons he has a legal obligation to do so.

His third party agreement with Firepower would be a seperate contract and the failings of one would not mean he could get out of the other.

So - Matt Giteau is proud he didn't break the law?

I bet his mum and dad are proud of that one too.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    One thing I find amazing is that M. Giteau said

Now I am not a lawyer but if he has a legal contract to play Rugby for the Western Force for the 07 - 09 seasons he has a legal obligation to do so.

His third party agreement with Firepower would be a seperate contract and the failings of one would not mean he could get out of the other.

So - Matt Giteau is proud he didn't break the law?

I bet his mum and dad are proud of that one too.
    Too right Ex. I think he shouldn't've said that. Certainly doesn't do him any credit.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Fox Sports has these 3 articles all on Gits and who will follow;

Time to decide if Force is wanted by the majority.

Queensland Reds can cash in on Matt Giteau's move to ACT

Western Force youngster James O'Connor in doubt for Brumbies clash

The last article is deceptive, you'd think it was about JO'C's injury but only the first 3 sentences are.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Too right Ex. I think he shouldn't've said that. Certainly doesn't do him any credit.
    his manager was exploring every avenue to get him out of the contract

this hypocrity astounds me

(well,not really)

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    But Broken and Ex, Giteau was mislead in to coming to Perth by Firepower and its association with the Force.

Giteau has probably lost a million or so from Firepower doing a runner with investors money.

Would you be happy if one of your employers decided to not pay you? Would you be happy if that same employer scooted out of the country and refused to return to face creditors?

The problem is amplified by the fact that Firepower and Force officials were far too cosy at the time. And promises were made and not kept. Giteau alluded to this in one article.

I think he's being quite honourable by just moving on and staying here.

Give the guy a break.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondiflyer View Post
    But Broken and Ex, Giteau was mislead in to coming to Perth by Firepower and its association with the Force.

Giteau has probably lost a million or so from Firepower doing a runner with investors money.

Would you be happy if one of your employers decided to not pay you? Would you be happy if that same employer scooted out of the country and refused to return to face creditors?

The problem is amplified by the fact that Firepower and Force officials were far too cosy at the time. And promises were made and not kept. Giteau alluded to this in one article.

I think he's being quite honourable by just moving on and staying here.

Give the guy a break.
    Exactly right Bondi, Matt has every right to go to Firepower and chase the money he is owed. He even did something about that by firing the manager that arranged that deal.

RugbyWA went out of their way to seek and received permission from the ARU to make arrangements for Matt to seek a replacement 3rd party deal (something that RWA is not normally permitted to do). A new 3rd Party offer was made to Matt - that replaced over 60% of his lost money. All Matt had to do was continue to play for the Force for 2 more years. That was apparently too much to ask for.

I think that RugbyWA - the employer, has gone far above and beyond what is expected of an employer.

So please Bondi - exactly what break does Matt need - he obviously doesn't need the money.

He said so himself, and his actions have proven that too.

Here endeth the lesson

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Exactly right Bondi, Matt has every right to go to Firepower and chase the money he is owed. He even did something about that by firing the manager that arranged that deal.

RugbyWA went out of their way to seek and received permission from the ARU to make arrangements for Matt to seek a replacement 3rd party deal (something that RWA is not normally permitted to do). A new 3rd Party offer was made to Matt - that replaced over 60% of his lost money. All Matt had to do was continue to play for the Force for 2 more years. That was apparently too much to ask for.

I think that RugbyWA - the employer, has gone far above and beyond what is expected of an employer.

So please Bondi - exactly what break does Matt need - he obviously doesn't need the money.

He said so himself, and his actions have proven that too.

Here endeth the lesson

He clearly doesn't want anything to do with the Force administrators or firepowers partner and now new Force sponsor ET mining...He just wants to put it behind him...and move on...

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Hi Ex

yes, some good points here. But Ive read that the new third party deal was being offered by ET Mining.

ET Mining had a JV deal with Firepower and now employs O'Meara.

Perhaps Giteau was concerned in dealing with these guys again. Not suggesting he had anything to worry about but would you trust them?

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    I have to endorse Muddy's comments here.

He was mislead in coming to Perth and was probably concerned he may be mislead again. Cant blame the guy for that.

Matt has probably also bought homes based on his 'promised' Firepower income and now has debts etc ( I assume).

So, how would you feel if you bought a home and then one of your employers shot through leaving you with the mortgage to repay?

Firepower has a lot to answer for .

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast