Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Force misses out as ARU forms secret comp

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I love it when you talk dirty and numbers.

Heres put together from the ARU Annual Report.

Attached Images Attached Images  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AC2089 View Post
    I was actually talking about holding or growing your player numbers at all levels
    Competing against the AFL's $100M investment in Western Sydney, Gold Coast Suns etc, is the main issue.
    You don't think Rugby WA has an even fiercer battle with AFL? It's the only game in town with 99% of born 'n' bred Sandgropers. That mind set is deeply entrenched among the politicians here too. They also have the NRL looking towards another (misguided) attempt at a franchise over here.

Given all that, I'd like to see you justify why NSW should get more than 3 time the funding per capita. You've not managed it so far.

RugbyWA is doing well at supporting itself. They're better off keeping the politics of the ARU at arms length and staying focussed on the job.
    You're kidding, right? The professional franchise is doing OK, far as we know. But the discussion is not about that, is it. Rugby WA can't stay out of ARU politics when they are being given a right royal rogering. That would just ensure the status quo.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    So NSW participation is nearly 5.5 times as large as WA. The intensity of competition amongst football codes is much higher in NSW and QLD. Given that, you do the maths on how much it costs to hold your ground or grow the game.
    Then shouldn't we get 1/5.5 of the money NSW gets? By my count that is $600,000. About 3 times more than we currently get.

There is a problem with putting all your eggs in one basket. If, like the Reds, you have been hammered for the last 5 years (not counting this year- kudos Reds), or if, like the Tahs, you play boring rugby where winning is all that matters the only fan base you have will dry up.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Veteran
    vCash
    TG, well thanks for the numbers...

It looks like it is all fairly even then, except for Vic, but they are just getting startup funding, i would have thought.

I rescind my statement, they get maybe 1/3 more per player. not too bad really...

Apprentice
    vCash
    Market share in NSW and QLD is decreasing. Market share in WA is growing. Market in NSW is 3x larger than WA. Market share in QLD is 2x larger than WA. WA rugby team competes with 3 other professional sports for media attention and viewership. NSW rugby team competes with 12, 10 of which are League teams with traditional animosity to rugby. QLD rugby team competes with 6, 3 of which are League teams. You tell me which is the more precarious situation -- NSW/QLD or WA? Which one needs to have the most money spent on it to stabilise it?

I can't give you an answer why NSW is getting 3x per capita more than WA, but it's pretty clear that NSW and QLD need more money to ensure that rugby doesn't fade into obscurity in its traditional markets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    A little precious aren't we.....btw, I'm easily found!
    It sounds like your glass is upside down on the bar
    The good ole days

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Wow someone that finds the SA accent sexy!.. Even I dont like it haha... But youre right it is a huge resource and the gafl seem to have caught on .. Come on ARU get with the program!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I would shag a South African woman every day of the week if possible

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The dueling kind.

That'll do me.
    Great to see the Rexisms catching

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Il bring the greasers you bring the socs and maybe at the end we can also compare dick sizes
    Mines bigger
    QLD is gay

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    You know its just not (cricket) rugby when someone starts teasing a Scotsman about the size of his "dick" not really very sporting of you TOCC - where else would TEF keep his spare pair of socks if not tucked down the side of his Sporran.

The personal insults are really quite sad and should be saved for more appropriate forums like the Colosseum.

We collectively as a group are much better then this - and follow members such as TOCC, The EnForcer and even Rex Messup who have all contributed fine opinions in the past deserve better treatment from all, if not, from each other.
    I take offence to your criticism of the Colo
    It is the last bastion of testosterone fuelled males. It's like fight club
    An apology is demanded

Controversy corner

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Market share in NSW and QLD is decreasing. Market share in WA is growing. Market in NSW is 3x larger than WA. Market share in QLD is 2x larger than WA. WA rugby team competes with 3 other professional sports for media attention and viewership. NSW rugby team competes with 12, 10 of which are League teams with traditional animosity to rugby. QLD rugby team competes with 6, 3 of which are League teams. You tell me which is the more precarious situation -- NSW/QLD or WA? Which one needs to have the most money spent on it to stabilise it?

I can't give you an answer why NSW is getting 3x per capita more than WA, but it's pretty clear that NSW and QLD need more money to ensure that rugby doesn't fade into obscurity in its traditional markets.
    The basic message is that Queensland and NSW have to compete with Rugby League, yes? Surely the main reason why League has the wood on Union is that they have a healthy 3rd tier (although International Rugby League hardly counts as a Tier) competition. I remember when Jared Waerea-Hargreaves defected to Rugby League having never played a league game. Why? Because the Waratahs told him that he'd have to rot for 3 years in their academy. That guy could've been a pretty amazing backrower in Union. There are countless others who have done the same. The NSWRU and QRU wasted the opportunity to rectify this with the ARC- it could've worked if correctly tweaked and if certain teams didn't have to be underwritten and if the venues weren't poorly chosen by some teams.

I am curious to know where the NSWRU money goes. God knows the big clubs like Sydney Uni don't need it.

vCash
    The QLD Cup(league third tier) has very little to do with the popularity of rugby league in QLD, everything revolves around the NRL.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Shows how much I know about Rugby League. Regardless, there is money and/or game time in it for younger players. A third tier Union comp could challenge this.

vCash

All of which is a fantastic argument as to why NSA and Qld get more money than us. What about SA?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Gerry, I am assuming they are full participation figures you are quoting, not just senior males?
    If so, some interesting comparisons to be made with other nations.
    National figures quoted are for total participation (as assumed for the states).
    Different nations have retention issues from junior to senior and varying male:female, however, as much as we like to cry poor on playing stocks etc, the "non Union States" could really be doing a better job pulling their weight considering the virtual non representation of contracted players from these respective provincial Unions.
    I considered nations between #6 and #25.

IRB# Nation/Combination Total Players
    9 Wales 50,557
    6 Scotland 38,500
    10 Fiji 36,030
    na WA, Vic, SA, NT, Tas 32,663
    14 Canada 23,853
    11 Samoa 23,372
    23 Spain 20,016
    24 Chile 18,755
    na Vic, SA, NT, Tas 18,431
    18 Russia 14,519
    na Western Australia 14,232
    25 Belgium 10,917
    na SA, NT, Tas 9,957
    19 Romania 9,612
    na Victoria 8,474
    17 Tonga 6,891
    22 Uruguay 6,065
    20 Namibia 5,822
    na South Australia 5,373
    21 Portugal 5,270
    16 Georgia 4,181

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yup. Total players.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So then, who on that list would a WA origin selection defeat?
    I would suggest probably only Tonga of those below them would make a match of it, but the WA, Vic, SA, NT, Tas combo wouldn't be up for Wales, Scotland, Fiji, Canada or Samoa I wouldn't have thought?
    For me at least that helps put things in perspective a bit, firstly where we sit in the scheme of things, but secondly the vast room for improvement if given the investment.
    If only Twiggy or Gina were Union tragics...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    The QLD Cup(league third tier) has very little to do with the popularity of rugby league in QLD, everything revolves around the NRL.
    Rugby League was huge in QLD before the entry of the Broncos into the Sydney comp. Don't underestimate the tiers in the system.

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The basic message is that Queensland and NSW have to compete with Rugby League, yes? Surely the main reason why League has the wood on Union is that they have a healthy 3rd tier (although International Rugby League hardly counts as a Tier) competition. I remember when Jared Waerea-Hargreaves defected to Rugby League having never played a league game. Why? Because the Waratahs told him that he'd have to rot for 3 years in their academy. That guy could've been a pretty amazing backrower in Union. There are countless others who have done the same. The NSWRU and QRU wasted the opportunity to rectify this with the ARC- it could've worked if correctly tweaked and if certain teams didn't have to be underwritten and if the venues weren't poorly chosen by some teams.

I am curious to know where the NSWRU money goes. God knows the big clubs like Sydney Uni don't need it.
    WA and Vic have to compete with sky ping pong. Heaven knows why that sh1te is considered compelling viewing by the local locals. It's like watching under 7's play soccer

Rugby in the frontiers needs needs money to grow

Rugby WA has but a minor interest in developing the game in the regions. It is run like a government department full of public servants more interested in lunch and flexing on Friday that achieving anything

Last edited by Rex Messup; 27-11-10 at 11:10.
    Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Rugby League was huge in QLD before the entry of the Broncos into the Sydney comp. Don't underestimate the tiers in the system.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------
    apples and oranges though... Yes the QLD Cup equivelant was popular prior to the inception of the Broncos, with crowds of 10'000 a regular occurence at the matches across the city and 40'000 for the Grand Final, however they would be lucky to pull 10'000 across the whole season these days. It has been well and truly superceded by the NRL as the popular interest, its main role these days is as a development tier(whole other discussion).

Likewise the Shute Shield and QLD Premier Grade compeitions were more popular prior to the inception of the Super12.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast