Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smith re-signs with ARU and Brumbies

vCash

Thumbs up Smith re-signs with ARU and Brumbies

May 8, 2009 - 11:52AM

Flanker George Smith has delivered Australian rugby a massive boost by turning his back on European suitors to re-sign with the ARU and the Brumbies for a further two years.

Smith has agreed to terms until the end of 2011 and admits the lure of playing at the next Rugby World Cup in New Zealand was a powerful driving force.

"The opportunity to play at another World Cup was a huge motivation," says Smith, who played at the 2003 and 2007 tournaments in Australia and France respectively.

Smith says the potential in the current Wallabies squad also made him optimistic greater success is within reach.

"I'm sure over the next couple of seasons we can get back to the levels of success we had when I first came into the team," he said.

Smith, 29, made his international debut against France in Paris in 2000 and has made 96 Test appearances.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder if he got the Captaincy for next year as well. Or was that negotiated out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Wonder if he got the Captaincy for next year as well. Or was that negotiated out?
    Real Leaders don't need titles... They lead by example.. and inspire others...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Real leaders dont spit the dummy when they are told they are not getting the promised captaincy the next year because they had to give it to another player to lure him from another franchise.

vCash
    Smith turned Brumbies Captaincy down this year.... are you sure you're not grubbles?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No, but I have impecable Sauces.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    are you sure you're not grubbles?
    Are you sure you're not Gerard Ryle?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    He writes just as well as him

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The signature "Georgiou le Smith" was almost on paper bar a last minute intervention from an associate of the Chamberlains.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    Are you sure you're not Gerard Ryle?
    well,Gerald's office is in the shadow of the harbour bridge

Player
    vCash
    Dingo deans will be happy....Phil Waugh not so happy.....great news for aussie rugby and brumbies.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is an article about George, but found the highlighted phrase interesting - is it just me, or is it suggesting Phibbs and Holmes are prima donnas? Not that that would necessarily be a surprise in Holmes's case, with the NSW media pumping his tyres up to bursting point until he left and Burgess suddenly became the sliced loaf.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WHILE the future of the Brumbies' halfback squad is uncertain, the ACT team has been buoyed by news Wallabies openside flanker George Smith has finally agreed to terms for another two years....blah blah....Part of that rebuilding process will be undertaken today when Friend makes a tough decision on which two of his three halfbacks - Josh Holmes, Patrick Phibbs and James Stannard - will make way for the arrival of Josh Valentine from Western Force next year.

Friend said yesterday the three halfbacks had asked to know their prospects before the Brumbies' match with the Blues, which will be their last home game of the season.

"It is (unsettling), but that's the business we're in," Friend said. "We work in an environment where we're always scrutinised under pressure.

"The players actually asked for it. They wanted to know if it was their last home game in front of the Canberra crowd."

Holmes and Phibbs have competed for the starting role at the Brumbies for two years.

But there is a chance Friend will cut Holmes and Phibbs, and Stannard will be kept as the reserve halfback.

Stannard has impressed the Brumbies with his attitude and the fact he knows his place in the team.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

vCash
    AndyS... I really don't know Phibbs been there for years and is Finegans Brother-in-law... Josh Holmes has had a lot of flattering press over the past years but hasn't always been consistent... media expectations can put too much pressure on developing players.

Phibbsy is 28 and He likely feels entitled to first shot at the jersey because he waited so long under Gregan as second choice scrumhalf. But thats how its works

Josh Holmes is an outstanding attacking scrumhalf who needs to improve his defense. He has had a lot of flattering press over the years but hasn’t been consistent with the new flyhalf Lealiifano.

James Stannard hasn’t had a chance and nearly zero game time so its not fair to comment on his year at the Brumbies. I’m not sure why he was signed.

I do suspect that with both players competing for two years for the starting jersey and nearly 50/50 game time it’s causing protracted tensions… (the Force Match committee will help here… )

Clearly with Josh Valentine, Giteau has said to Friend he likes playing outside him at Flyhalf… And Friend has followed up the lead… signing Valentine....

Personally I’d keep Josh Holmes as long as he doesn’t have a attitude problem. But he has to have a positive outlook at staying at the Brumbies. Holmes has talent and would have a good future especially with a mature backline. Phibbsy does a workman like job and has good defense but really is looking at the back of his career... Grumbles was in the paper rumouring that Holmes is going to the Tahs todays...

Both Phibbsy and Holmes are signings from the former coach and Friend has no buyer warrantee on either these guys…

vCash
    Glad to see such a brilliant player staying in Australia. onya George

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

Phibbsy is 28 and He likely feels entitled to first shot at the jersey because he waited so long under Gregan as second choice scrumhalf. But thats how its works
    Ok now i will be the first to admit that my following of rugby and the Brumbies has slipped majorly since more important things arrived in my life 2 years ago. But I am pretty sure Henjak did most of the waiting under Gregan...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast