Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barbarians back on menu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Barbarians back on menu

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012430,00.html

Wayne Smith | January 11, 2008

ONE hundred years after the first Wallabies - or as they very nearly were, the Rabbits - ventured to Britain, the Australian team is set to end its northern hemisphere campaign with a match against the Barbarians.

Australian Rugby Union acting chief executive Matt Carroll said yesterday it was hoped the International Rugby Board's executive committee would approve the fixture at its next meeting early next month.

If that apparent formality is given the rubber stamp, the Wallabies can look forward to a five-match tour in November, starting with the still-to-be-confirmed Test against the All Blacks in Hong Kong followed by internationals against Italy, France and England.

Five matches is a slightly heavier workload than normal but the Wallabies have no grounds for complaint, not when it is considered that the original 1908 team played 31 matches in Britain. They won 25, including the Olympic final - the first team gold medal won by Australia at the Olympic Games.

So pivotal was the 1908 tour to the history of Australian rugby that Carroll said the ARU was examining how the centenary might be celebrated. But while the Wallabies no doubt will enter into the spirit of the occasion, it's a fair bet they will not want to re-enact some of the quirkier aspects of that original campaign.

For starters, they will arrive in Britain bearing one of the more formidable brand names in world rugby. But when the 1908 players landed, they discovered to their dismay that the dastardly British press had taken to dubbing them the Rabbits.

This necessitated a hastily convened team meeting at which a number of alternatives were canvassed, among them Kangaroos (already appropriated by the fledgling rugby league team), Kookaburras and Wallaroos, but eventually "Wallabies" emerged as a narrow winner.

Ironically, one of the many theories surrounding South Sydney's famous Rabbitoh emblem was that the foundation rugby league club proudly picked up the tag the Wallabies so disdainfully had cast aside.

But the 1908 Wallabies were not initially so successful in getting rid of an even more odious piece of baggage, the haka - or rather the pseudo-Aboriginal war cry - that officials had insisted they perform before every match.

Three decades after that tour, captain Herbert Moran still cringed at the memory of being forced to take part in a comic opera so insulting to Aboriginals.
    "We were being asked to remind British people of the miserable remnants of a race which they had disposed and we had maltreated or neglected," Moran wrote in his book Viewless Winds.
    "We were officially expected to leap up in the air and make foolish gestures which somebody thought Australian natives might have used in similar circumstances and we were also given meaningless words which we were to utter savagely during this pantomine."

Not surprisingly, Moran refused to lead this travesty and attempted to hide himself in the body of the team whenever the war cry was performed.

Some 99 years later, the youngest Australian player at the World Cup, Berrick Barnes, also would squirm with embarrassment at being made to go everywhere in France carrying the team's mascot, a stuffed toy wallaby.

But he might have squirmed even more had he been forced to keep company with the Wallabies' first mascot, a carpet snake named Bertie who was smuggled into Britain wrapped around one of the players, Tom Richards.

What would make modern-day Wallabies recoil in even greater horror would be the thought of the predecessors' pay packet, three shillings a day.

But as paltry as that amount was, it still was enough to convince Scotland and Ireland that the Australians had been stained by the sin of professionalism, prompting both countries to refuse to play the tourists.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Between the Hong Kong match and a Barbarians game it looks like the ARU are keen to drum up some cash. The Barbarians game at the very least should be interesting.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Didn't they knock back a pumas game because there wasn't room in the schedule? Now they're trying to squeeze in a Barbarians game - I bet Argentina are feeling the post RWC love...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I must admit, I'm salivating about that Hong Kong match...

vCash
    Wipe your chin then beige, you're making a mess...Seriously though, welcome to the site and i have to agree, a match in Hong Kong will be awesome indeed...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Really? What is it about a AB/Wallabies match in Hong Kong of all places that appeals (assuming you aren't travelling over for it)?

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    How would one cook a Barbarian??

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Thanks for your welcome, frontrow

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Really? What is it about a AB/Wallabies match in Hong Kong of all places that appeals (assuming you aren't travelling over for it)?
    That's a big assumption AndyS! Seriously though, for me it's all about expanding the popularity of the game internationally and I reckon these kinds of games might be a way of doing that, but only if they are targeted properly. An international involving the HK test side wouldn't generate too much interest over there - and they won't be in the World Cup any time soon - but the site of a full house in HK for a match involving two of the game's big guns would generate some great exposure for the game in that region.

It's something soccer teams have done to great effect for nearly 3 decades now and the recent sold-out NFL game at Wembley got them a lot of publicity. If rugby wants to be a genuine player in the global sports arena, it needs to start considering events like this.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I agree, but still don't see what would get the spit running. It is a bit like the exhibition matches the AFL do (or used to) in England and the States. It is a bit of a jolly for the players, but I have yet to see any great move toward them playing that game.

I'd be a bit less sceptical if the money generated all went to development of Asian rugby, but I doubt that is the case. Given the way Rugby is administered in this part of the world, I'd be dreading an outcome where the money generated makes it more profitable than playing in Aus/NZ...

(Mind you it'd be a great tour, especially if they could somehow link it up with the sevens! Welcome aboard)

vCash
    Wrong time of year for the sevens! Thanks for the welcome AndyS...

I guess it depends which example you use... I agree about the AFL in England - the difference with HK is that rugby already 'exists' there, so to speak. An alternative example is the tours by big soccer clubs in the U.S and the interest that they generate.

If rugby can replicate that in HK - excellent! If not, oh well, don't do it again

vCash
    As Beige says, rugby already has a following over there, and is a mecca for sevens rugby teams as well, so if they could incorporate the sevens event to coincide with a test of this magnitude, then it would be an absolute coup...And you would have to think some of the cash raised would flow into chinas rugby coffers, and hopefully in the process other fledgling asian teams...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Welcome, Beige! Your username wouldn't be in honour of the little-known cricket team Leith Franklin Edinburgh Beige, would it?!

Last edited by Em-Forcer; 16-01-08 at 05:37. Reason: spelling/typo!
    Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Em-Forcer View Post
    Welcome, Beige! Your username wouldn't be in honour of the little-known cricket team Letih Franklin Edinburgh Beige, would it?!
    Thanks, Em-Forcer! No, the username comes from the fact that I'm half white, half Asian - hence, "beige" (Seriously)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Wrong time of year for the sevens! Thanks for the welcome AndyS...

I guess it depends which example you use... I agree about the AFL in England - the difference with HK is that rugby already 'exists' there, so to speak. An alternative example is the tours by big soccer clubs in the U.S and the interest that they generate.

If rugby can replicate that in HK - excellent! If not, oh well, don't do it again
    I think you've nailed it there beige....The HK sevens is HUGE in the sevens world and always draws massive and passionate crowds (not sure how many travel over for the event and how many are local though) If they can generate that sort of a crowd, and find a stadium big enough, I would think there's a chance it could match a Twickenham.........without the home ground thing.

C'mon the

vCash
    The big stadium in HK holds about 40 000 people - and it's always packed for the sevens - but, with 24 countries visiting, the majority of the crowd is made up of foreigners.

With only 2 teams visiting this time there won't be so many travellers so, given the prestigious nature of the fixture, I'm looking forward to seeing how much local interest the match generates. In my opinion, if only foreigners (or ex-pats for that matter) show up it will have been a waste of time but it's worth a shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast