Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Half way

Apprentice
    vCash

Half way

I thought it would be appropriate at this point of the comp to get some opinions on where teams are at and how teams will progress on to finals.

Neddies - they are a classy outfit and certainly the most balanced team in relation to forwards and backs. They have heaps of depth and as the table currently show will finish on top. Can they keep their form and win another Final - well that remains to be seen, after all finals footy is different from the normal comp.

West - they are going from strength to strength - they have a dangerous backline with a very fit and mobile pack. If injuries stay away they should finish really well. Not sure if they've got the experience to keep on winning through finals though.

Pally - they are one of the inform teams at the moment. They got the basics right. Good set piece and they are clinical at the breakdown. As a team they operate very well and know how to put teams under pressure. I reckon on current form they are the team to beat in the 2nd round of the comp.

UWA - they are a lot more consistent than last year. They are very well drilled but I do think that when pressured enough they lack a couple of key decision makers and game breakers. It will be a hard battle for that 4th spot in the finals.

Soaks - they have been hot and cold this season. They have great players on paper but they are struggling to get consistent good performances on the field. I don't think that they will be there finals time on current form but they will certainly cause a few upsets on the way. If they can get some momentum they will be hard to stop and will take the 4th spot on the log to go through.

Wanneroo - they had a poor start to the comp and I think that will cost them at the end. Their big pack has done well in the last few games but their backs have been out played game after game. They might beat a couple of top teams but I can't see them competing for finals.

Baysie - they are very unpredictable. Baysie will cause a couple of upsets but I don't think they will make finals this year. This year they proofed that they will be a force in the the next few years and they should not be taken lightly. Already a massive step up from the previous 2 season.

Rockingham - In my opinion they have the most explosive backs in the comp - Rocky will win more games in the 2nd round than they have in the 1st. Teams that underestimate them will regret it. If they can retain their players they should finish mid table and set themselves up for a good year next season.

Cott - not sure what went wrong so far this season as they have heaps of talent and experience in the team. I would be very surprised if they make it to the finals. Perhaps it is time for some change in structure/approach and or playing staff. They should be a top 4 team with current players available to them.

Kala - most unpredictable team in the comp - If they turn up to play they can beat any team in the comp. Unfortunately that hasn't happened many times this season. Rumours and performances proof that there are some issues that needs attention between club management and coaching staff before they could be the team they were the last 3 or 4 years. They are also experiencing a big number of injuries. Once these guys are back they will be a different prospect.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Pretty fair summary of where we're at at the moment, I reckon.

Palmyra have been boosted by the addition of three or four players in recent weeks and don't look too shabby.

Big Jake Ball has played his first full game of the season after a serious leg injury last year. He lacks match fitness but has bulked up. Give him another two games under his belt, and he'll be even better than last year.

Scotland 7's 5/8 Rory Hutton gives Pally direction and pace from his position, and the inclusion of two Ireland Provincial Rep players, a huge second row (as big as Jake Ball) and a powerful mobile tight head prop, add depth to an already high powered scrum.

Pally have had less points scored against them of any club this season. All they need to do is believe in themselves and they will take it up to any side in the comp. That's starting to happen.

What's going on elsewhere, from an insider's perspective?

vCash
    I think Wanneroo will finish in the top 4. They've won their last 3 games and have one of the Premierships top backs - KK. They've had a poor 1st half to the season and are fourth, so not bad. Final 4 will be:
    Nedlands
    Paly
    Wests
    Wanneroo

Champion
    vCash
    Credit to the coaches. These days many more hours need to go into coaching to grow the club and teams skills. Be good to see more appreciation shown to these unsung workers.

Player
    vCash
    in fairness to Cott, the majority of their games this season have been played with a back line who's average age was 20 and a front row averaging 18 and a half. Tough season and tough decisions on and off the field need to be made. Not much hope of a finals berth I fear.

vCash
    Yep, Dave Cloete, 20, check. Mark Swanepoel, 20, check. Matt Bourke, 20, check. Ryan Westaway, 20, check. Nathan Hunt, 20, check. Mark Bartholemeuz, 20 check.

Off the top of my head.

Now name the front row averaging 18.5 years.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Their Under 20's are under 20 however I would think the average age of their first grade is mid 20's at least.

We'll find out next Saturday when we play them at the Foreshore.

The finals will be a better place without those dirtbags.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Yep, Dave Cloete, 20, check. Mark Swanepoel, 20, check. Matt Bourke, 20, check. Ryan Westaway, 20, check. Nathan Hunt, 20, check. Mark Bartholemeuz, 20 check.

Off the top of my head.

Now name the front row averaging 18.5 years.
    richard cooper 18 oli hoskin 18

vCash
    Yes, Oli Hoskins played first grade last week. So did you the game before, Pruc.

How does that make the "average front row age" 18.5 years when the rest of the row is aged 28 -30 plus?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Yes, Oli Hoskins played first grade last week. So did you the game before, Pruc.

How does that make the "average front row age" 18.5 years when the rest of the row is aged 28 -30 plus?
    im just saying prop and hooker are both 18 but i dont recall other young prop playing...

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Both poached from other clubs!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Both poached from other clubs!
    both mercenaries!

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Yes, they poach them young at Cott.

They don't last there long though; another Cott player jumped ship yesterday. Hopefully he takes his snotty nosed younger brother with him to Melbourne.

Heh, PRUC, why don't you come over to Neddies. I'm sure Hansie would cut you a deal.

Last edited by Darkness; 16-06-11 at 13:04.

vCash

Senior Player
    vCash
    PRUC could be one of the dozens of home grown (played for Nedlands since they were 10) players in Nedlands 1st grade

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast