Thread: New rugby is faster`

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash

New rugby is faster`

Have to agree with Roche, the trial match I saw was a blistering pace. I'd advise anyone going to the game on Friday to get there before 7pm, the pace these guys play at the game could be over by 7:30 !

from http://planet-rugby.com/Story/0,1825...638741,00.html
    Roche - `New rugby is faster`
    Friday 03rd August 2007
    Ballymore Tornadoes coach Chris Roche believes the new experimental laws that will apply in the upcoming Australian Rugby Championship (ARC) will leave players, referees and spectators gasping for breath.

Roche had always suspected that would be the case, but a midweek 80-minute trial game between a Tornadoes team and a side made up of Tornadoes squad and shadow Tornadoes players convinced him.

"If our trial game was anything to go by then I strongly recommend to rugby-lovers of any code and any age to come out and watch; the pace was electric," Roche told qru.com.au.

"Fans will be pleasantly surprised and enjoy the game as never before. No longer do referees have to make as many subjective decisions that only the rugby purist understands, for the rule changes make the game simpler to referee, and to understand."

The players participating in the game were equally positive about the new laws, with players and referees, alike, struggling to keep pace with the flow of the game.

"Our players are very excited about playing in this competition and there are crucial tactical decisions and technical adjustments to be made", Roche said. "Whoever does this most effectively will do very well in this competition."

The new tournament will adopt all eight experimental law variations proposed by an expert panel led by Rod Macqueen (coach of the 1999 World Cup Wallabies), Pierre Villepreux (France), Richie Dixon (Scotland) and Ian McIntosh (South Africa), working with former NZ Test referee Paddy O'Brien, now the IRB's referees manager.

The variations include allowing the use of hands in the ruck, allowing deliberate collapsing of a maul, introducing fewer full penalty offences and moving the corner posts out of the field of play as an unnecessary hindrance.

The Tornadoes play their first ARC game against fellow Queensland side the East Coast Aces at the Gold Coast Stadium, Carrara on Sunday, August 12.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Sounds like Ecky will have to start training

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    These laws have been in use for premier rugby in Sydney & Brisbane for the season just gone. Not in lower grades. So that'd make it interesting for players and refs who go up or down during the season, hey?

I don't know if it's going to be more widespread next season; ie whether we get it in 1st grade only (if at all) or all through the grades.

I shall be an interested spectator on Friday, with a copy of the ELV's and explanatory notes in hand.

So, no additional training for this year, but maybe next year! Although I must say 1st grade, while faster than the lower grades, is much easier to ref.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes Ecky, when you get to ref an ARC game you'll likely find it easier still.
    As you go up grades the players skills get better and they just 'get on' with playing - lot less backchat.
    At ARC level I reckon they wont have breath to chat with refs.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Ooh, a conspiracy theory - real reason for the new rules is to shut the players up.