Thread: Decision time looms for Waratahs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Decision time looms for Waratahs

By Bret Harris
    March 25, 2008
    A DECISION on the NSW Waratahs coaching staff will be made in the next few weeks, while head coach Ewen McKenzie has revealed he is also considering his options.

The NSWRU has made no secret McKenzie's position is under scrutiny and the Waratahs are looking to resolve the issue sooner rather than later.

"We are hoping to make a decision in the next two to three weeks so we can plan for a strong finish this year and a strong start next year," Waratahs chief executive Jim L'Estrange said.

"You really can't wait until the end of the season. You are looking to give direction to those individuals to give the individuals the best opportunity.

"Picking the right time is very difficult, but waiting until the season has finished is not the right time."

The Waratahs have previously denied speculation the job has already been offered to assistant coach Todd Louden, who worked with the defending champions, the Bulls, last year.

"We don't have any decisions made," L'Estrange said.

"We have no premeditated agenda, but that being said, I've got to go and revisit, like you would in any business, to make sure the team is the right team to go forward."

The seventh-placed Waratahs, who lost 34-7 to the Crusaders last week, would be favoured to beat the Cheetahs in Sydney on Friday night, but they then face two tough games against the Blues and Western Force.

The Waratahs' position on the table will probably not influence the decision on the coach as much as the vision for the team for the next three to four years.

"When you are looking for someone to run your team and the culture of your team, you are looking to give them an opportunity over a three- to four-year period," L'Estrange said.

"I think that's the time that allows anybody to establish themselves in the team, both from a playing perspective and a cultural perspective. It strikes me that that is a reasonable tenure."

McKenzie, who has expressed interest in the ARU high performance manager's job, said he was also considering his options.

"You have to keep an eye on your options," McKenzie said. "I'll keep an eye on the market.

"I'm not ruling anything out. We are getting assessed and I've got to assess my opportunities as well.

"It works both ways, doesn't it? That doesn't mean I'm not talking to NSW either."

McKenzie said he may consider applying for the Ireland head coaching position.

"I haven't done anything about it, but that doesn't mean I won't have a look," he said.

"I'm not going to say no. I'm not going to say yes. There are other jobs, too, popping up around the place ... it's a matter of keeping your options open."

Meanwhile, L'Estrange revealed the NSWRU was considering a proposal for a 10-team, national club competition as part of a review of Sydney club rugby.

"We'll consider everything and see where it goes," L'Estrange said at the launch of the Shute Shield competition, which starts on Saturday.

"It's just another idea and there's a whole lot of ideas like that out there. That's just one of many. Whether it's got any energy or momentum, those decisions are a long way away from being made."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

Seems hilarious that the Tahs problems have been attack. So they look to give the team to the newly appointed attack coach...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    There's only one thing for it, sack link and become a netball team.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Or keep Link and continue to be a Netball team!

C'mon the

vCash
    News out of NZ (sorry don't have a link...a mate told me) is that Link has 3 weeks at most.....hopefully we can bring this forward. Smart money is on his replacement being David Nucifora (JO'N is a big supporter).

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    News out of NZ (sorry don't have a link...a mate told me) is that Link has 3 weeks at most.....hopefully we can bring this forward. Smart money is on his replacement being David Nucifora (JO'N is a big supporter).
    Why would Nucifora want to move to the Tahs?

vCash
    He wouldn't, He's proven he has a brain!

C'mon the