Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies vs Ireland Player Ratings

vCash

Wallabies vs Ireland Player Ratings

New coach new era, how'd the players go? Here's my stab, see what you think.

15. Shepherd - solid in defense and at the back. Great range kicking. 7

14. Hynes - definitely not overawed by the occasion of his first test, he showed great strength on his feet 8

13. Mortlock - Still galumphing over the gain line at will, although his charge out of the line led to BODs try. 7

12. Barnes - despite a pretty disastrous kicking game he looked composed and put a couple of great tackles in. 7

11. Tuqiri - unstoppable running and big hits, his good form continues 8.5

10. Giteau - thank Christ he's got hold of the kicking tee, looks like Robbie could also see what the rest of us did with Beavis' ugly looking efforts in the past. Gits looked comfortable at pivot and went looking for work. 8

9. G&GRs own Luke Burgess - with the pack doing its job in the first half an hour, he looked the goods and was instrumental in the tries. Job got sticky as he got stranded on his own. 8

8. Palu - great defensively but went quiet with his running. 6.5

7. Smith - needs to do less of the playmaking (the Brumbies needed it, the Wallabies don't) and re-focus on the turnovers. 6.5

6. Elsom - Had a good but not great game by his standards. Line-out option is gold. 6.5

5. Sharpe - Needed to do more grunt work around the rucks. Still looking good in the air. 6.5

4. Horwill - A sensation. Line-out steals, restarts, even a try. If he keeps this up, what happens when Vickerman's fit? 8.5

3. Dunning - I thought this was a 'weak' Irish scrum. What happened? 5

2. Moore - good throwing and mobility. 6.5

1. Robinson - a quiet game for him, but just about held up. 6

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hynes, Shepherd, Horwill, Giteau and Tuqiri were all fantastic

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You're showing your bias to give Smith a 6.5 and Tuqiri an 8.5 G&G!
    Tuqiri had a couple of strong runs but it was Smith that created one of them and he had far more positive impact throughout the match.
    I want to believe all that you say but find it hard when it is still tainted light blue mate!
    Credit where credit is due and reality checks where appropriate too now they are in Wallaby colours.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Indeed. Tuquiri's try was all thanks to a well weighted pass by George Smith. But not to steal any glory away from tuquiri, he had a great game as well.

Not impressed with Dunning at all. He didn't look like he could hold the irish. whatever happened to rodney blake?

And definitely thought Barnes kicked way too much. Would love to see adam ashley cooper or spanner(once he's back) get a go at inside centre. Barnes just didnt look good at all. And maybe Ryan Cross given a go in the last 10 mins of the game.

vCash
    Not impressed with Mortlock at all
    Just because he is captain he think his spot is safe, but I hope they drop him
    Go Cross!!!

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    You're showing your bias to give Smith a 6.5 and Tuqiri an 8.5 G&G!
    Tuqiri had a couple of strong runs but it was Smith that created one of them and he had far more positive impact throughout the match.
    I want to believe all that you say but find it hard when it is still tainted light blue mate!
    Credit where credit is due and reality checks where appropriate too now they are in Wallaby colours.
    Burgs - are you fishing?

I believe Elsom (just) and Palu also play for the Tahs and they got the same as Smith; 6.5. All round the back-row didn't have a great night by their standards - witness the pasting Burgess got throughout the second half.

As it happens I'm a Smith fanatic and rate him above McCaw and Waugh, but he didn't have his best game on Sat. Tuqiri also made some great hits.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No I'm not.
    I elsewhere grudgingly gave Tuqiri praise for his match but he was nowhere near 1.5 away from being perfect.
    If he played for the Reds he would get nowhere near the praise he gets playing for the Tahs.
    Each to their own opinion, I'll bare it in mind for your future match reviews.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandgoldrugby View Post
    Burgs - are you fishing?

I believe Elsom (just) and Palu also play for the Tahs and they got the same as Smith; 6.5. All round the back-row didn't have a great night by their standards - witness the pasting Burgess got throughout the second half.

As it happens I'm a Smith fanatic and rate him above McCaw and Waugh, but he didn't have his best game on Sat. Tuqiri also made some great hits.
    This makes me feel like wetting a line.

Palu had a shocker by his standards, really only did any work in the first 20 minutes....the end of season trip is a couple of months away yet! He continues the time honoured Waratah tradition of sucking whilst wearing Gold.

Rocky did better, and probably deserved 6.5 but Mr Smith was at least 1 point above that out of 10 and I would say Lote had the same impact on the match (he played well, I'm ashamed to say)

C'mon the

vCash
    i thought Tuqiri played fantastic, though Palu had a shocker, Smith went reasonable without being spectacular, Horwill had a good game and took a great catch from one of the Irish kick offs.

I actually thought Mortlock played pretty crap, he didnt really do much in attack or defence, I would rather see Cross starting outside centre in the next game.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i thought Tuqiri played fantastic, though Palu had a shocker, Smith went reasonable without being spectacular, Horwill had a good game and took a great catch from one of the Irish kick offs.

I actually thought Mortlock played pretty crap, he didnt really do much in attack or defence, I would rather see Cross starting outside centre in the next game.
    Yeah Horwill was far and away the best player on the field and has answered any doubts I had about him. He gave a silly penalty away though midway through the second half which I reckon prevented a good try-scoring opportunity. I can't remember one intense game where Palu has showed up at Wallaby level. I've seen him play brilliantly against some of the weaker teams but never when we've really needed him to.

Mortlock did suck a fair bit didn't he. Bring on the Cross.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    No I'm not.
    I elsewhere grudgingly gave Tuqiri praise for his match but he was nowhere near 1.5 away from being perfect.
    If he played for the Reds he would get nowhere near the praise he gets playing for the Tahs.
    Each to their own opinion, I'll bare it in mind for your future match reviews.
    Woah, I'm on notice!

I was actually on Tuqiri's back right up until the RWC QF last year - to the extent that I thought JO'N should shred his contract. This year though he seems to have got himself sorted and stepped up.

As for the '1.5 from perfect', this has made me think that I need to get some sort of definitions in place. What gets you a 7 rather than an 8 etc.

Any suggestions?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Perhaps go with a scale a bit broader - giving out half marks gives you 20 possible scoring options, how about Fail, Pass, Credit, Distinction?

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    Not impressed with Mortlock at all
    Just because he is captain he think his spot is safe, but I hope they drop him
    Go Cross!!!
    I was disappointed in Stirlo's game too. Missed tackle, knock on, too many mistakes for an established International. I would have given Crossy a run for at least the last twenty minutes.

vCash
    i've always thought of Horwill as a development player. Give him some time and experience and he'll mature and stop giving away penalties. It's like Rocky Elsom. He got some experience and now plays with his brain as well, and has stopped giving away blatant penalties. Horwill be the next lock after Vickerman leaves.

Mortlock is past his peak, but that doesnt mean he's crap. He still gets us over the advantage line and still gets most of his tackles in. Maybe time to bring in some new blood in Ryan Cross and see how he fares there. I think mortlock is a little careful when he runs and tackles now because he doesnt want to do his shoulder again. And to be honest, he is getting kinda old.

Tuquiri looks like he's found his mojo again this year, after losing it for ages. Was quite impressed when he got the ball. He's a senior player on the field and provides the team with some experience in an already quite young lineup. He may not be the try scoring machine as he was back in the day, but he has added new expertise to his game. Still deserves to be put in the wing.

And i'll say it again, i felt Barnes wasn't good at inside centre. I half expected him to go for a drop kick during the match. He's trying too hard to be playing a territorial game all the time, when the wallabies should really run it sometimes and let their flair take over. we have got some good line breakers in giteau, palu(not on the weekend tho), tuquiri, mortlock and cross. so let them get the ball over the advantage line and offload it. And dont kick it away when we've already gained some momentum and forward movement.

vCash
    Horwill was awesome, if he keeps that workrate up he'll be partnering Vicks in the 3N, with Mumm keeping the utility bench spot. Can't wait!

Smith had a good first half, he and Palu should have been subbed at 50 minutes. When the halfback is getting tackled at the back of the maul you've gotta look at your back row.

I don't see the point in playing Cross and Mortlock - he only plays 13 and we're not going to sub off the captain while fit. Rather we should have someone who can cover a few positions ; specifically we need a plan b for fullback - I'm thinking SNK, Gerrard or Turner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast