Thread: Inside running suits Mortlock

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Inside running suits Mortlock

Inside running suits Mortlock

Wayne Smith | November 18, 2008
    \

Article from: The Australian

IT's one small step for man, the switch from outside centre to inside centre, but it might be one giant leap in the making of Stirling Mortlock as Wallabies captain.

Mortlock might have led Australia for the 23rd time against England at Twickenham on the weekend, leaving only George Gregan (59), John Eales (55) and Nick Farr-Jones (36) ahead of him, but in terms of leadership he has never been seen as their equal, nor indeed the equal of the men who statistically rank immediately below him, Andrew Slack (19), John Thornett and Greg Davis (both 16).

In fact, had some critics had their way, Mortlock would not have lasted beyond his first season as captain, 2006, after having stayed out until dawn celebrating the Wallabies' less-than-impressive victory over Italy in Rome that year.

But with every match on this 2008 tour, Mortlock is growing in stature as a captain and Wallabies coach Robbie Deans believes part of the explanation might be his enforced switch to inside centre to cover for the injured Berrick Barnes.

"He's thriving with being a little bit closer (to the action)," Deans said yesterday. "He's growing as a leader, and first and foremost he's a bloke who evidently cares."
    Certainly it was in-your-face evident as far as England was concerned, with Mortlock unleashing one of his trademark high-stepping charges when the battle still hung in the balance late in the second half.

He didn't need to say "follow me" to his team-mates. His actions shouted it for him.
    But there were other signs too that Mortlock is coming to terms with what is required of him as captain. As recently as last year, Mortlock would have made the call and kicked into touch for an attacking lineout after England prop Andy Sheridan was penalised at a 5m scrum in the right-hand corner of Twickenham.

At that stage, however, the Wallabies were only a point in front with close on half an hour remaining, so he reined in his aggression and signalled for Matt Giteau to kick for the posts from his favoured side of the ground.

Think back to the Hong Kong Test against the All Blacks just over a fortnight ago. Australia was awarded a penalty in almost exactly the same position on the field but instead of taking a shot at goal that, if successful, would have pushed the Wallabies out to an eight-point lead, Mortlock opted for a scrum instead.

The forwards did their job magnificently but it was Mortlock himself who brought things undone when, as the decoy player, he ran into a Giteau pass intended for Peter Hynes that would have put the right winger over between the posts. Lesson learned.

"Yeah, I feel a lot more comfortable in the role than what I have in the past," Mortlock said.

"It's a combination of things but my mindset as a footy player, as a rugby player and as a leader is that I always want to improve. And that's constant. I'm always looking at how I played. What I can improve. What I need to do to improve and what I can do out on the pitch. And as a leader making certain calls, how could I have done something better?"

Clearly Mortlock and Deans are having a meeting of minds. Not only does Mortlock now come out with never-before-used phrases like "less is more" (a Deans favourite) when describing how he communicates with his players, but they seem very much on the same page in terms of how the Wallabies will now play.
    "The decision-making was better which meant we had better field position and the most obvious way that manifested itself was that the English didn't cope with that," Deans said.

"We were creating opportunities that were stressing them and they were responding in a way that was trying to deny us that opportunity."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What a bunch of wank that article is. Wonder how much Mortlock is paying for that piece.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!