Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force rookie displaces a foundation player

vCash

Force rookie displaces a foundation player

Force rookie displaces a foundation player
    Bret Harris | May 02, 2008 Force rookie displaces a foundation player | The Australian

THE future of Western Force inside back Lachlan MacKay is in the air after his omission from the 22-man squad to take on the Chiefs in Perth tomorrow night.

Western Force rookie James O'Connor, 17, has been named in the run-on side to play the Chiefs. Picture: Bohdan Warchomij
    As expected, coach John Mitchell named rookie James O'Connor, 17, to make his run-on debut at inside centre alongside five-eighth Matt Giteau.

Utility back Scott Daruda will return from an ankle injury to provide cover for the inside backs on the reserves bench.

Mitchell was disappointed with MacKay's performance when he deputised for Giteau in the upset loss to Queensland Reds in Brisbane two weeks ago.

The fact MacKay, a foundation Force player, has a history of injury also concerns Mitchell.

"We are reviewing our playing list and evaluating all of our players," chief executive Greg Harris said.

"Lachlan has made a fantastic contribution to the club and that will be taken into account.

"At the same time we have to look forward."

Mitchell is certainly looking forward with the selection of O'Connor, who has been described as "the next Matt Giteau".

While the Force is still a mathematical chance to make the Super 14 semi-finals, Mitchell said the selection of several new faces was the start of planning for 2009.

"Our vision is just going to take us a little bit longer," Mitchell said.

"But there's two things you can do. You can look backwards and look down at the ground or look to where you want to head.

"It's important that we play well in the next three games.

"There's no denying the fact that I was disappointed with the leadership at nine, 10 and 12 against the Reds.

"I think it's time to start looking at people that are actually going to deliver on a more consistent basis and play the style of football that we need to play to succeed at this level."

But Mitchell dismissed the suggestion O'Connor was being rushed into the starting line-up.

"We wouldn't be putting him out there if we didn't think he could cope," Mitchell said.

"He's ready to play Super 14.

"If we were right in the hunt to contest finals maybe I'd go for a bit more experience, but why wait until next year?

"It's important now to get them started so ... next year there's no guessing."

In other changes to the team that lost to the Reds, James Stannard has replaced Chris O'Young at halfback and Matt Hodgson has displaced Richard Brown at number eight.

Veteran second-rower David Pusey has replaced the injured Tom Hockings (shoulder) and Nick Cummins takes over from Haig Sare (ankle) in the absence of utility back Scott Staniforth (knee).

Mitchell has named an almost entirely new bench, with two local players, Kieran Longbottom and Dane Haylett-Petty, in line to make their Super 14 debuts.

The selection of Longbottom was a warning to regular prop AJ Whalley, who has been left out of the squad.

"We just think the workrate around the pitch hasn't been acceptable for the level where we want to head and it's time for AJ to shift and improve his performance," Mitchell said.

Additional reporting: AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    to me does it sound like lachy mackay's last year with the force, with comments like this :

"The fact MacKay, a foundation Force player, has a history of injury also concerns Mitchell "
    and
    ""Our vision is just going to take us a little bit longer," Mitchell said. "

Remember we have JOC / Staniforth / Cross / Durada / Junior will mackay get an extension at the end of the season and his current contract ?

Prospect
    vCash
    "There's no denying the fact that I was disappointed with the leadership at nine, 10 and 12 against the Reds."

I think it was pretty hard for 9, 10 and 12 to shine against the Reds when the Scrum was going in all directions other than forward. I dont think the result would have been any different if Giteau had played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullforce View Post
    I dont think the result would have been any different if Giteau had played.
    SERIOUSLY?!?

Champion
    vCash
    9 = chris o'young, who had a good game
    10 = lachlan mckay not so good, but first 80 minutes of football he's played since ....god knows when, probably in the first year of WF football.
    12 = Staniforth (correct me if i'm wrong) held his weight both in the scrum and out in the centres...

and as Full Force said can't expect the backs to do anything when the forwards are running around with there hands in there pockets.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    I dont think the result would have been any different if Giteau had played.

I agree. Maybe we would have put more points on the board in the first half when we had the ball. But the 2nd half we touched the ball for all of like 3 or 4 minutes. Since Giteau's role is not to get us the ball, but direct us when we have the ball, I fail to see how he would have had much influence in that disaster of a 2nd half.

vCash
    "There's no denying the fact that I was disappointed with the leadership at nine, 10 and 12 against the Reds."

I think it was pretty hard for 9, 10 and 12 to shine against the Reds when the Scrum was going in all directions other than forward. I dont think the result would have been any different if Giteau had played.
    I think they had enough good ball to make a positive impression.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    So Mitch said :

• "Our vision is just going to take us a little bit longer,"
    • "But there's two things you can do. You can look backwards and look down at the ground or look to where you want to head.
    • "It's important that we play well in the next three games.
    • "There's no denying the fact that I was disappointed with the leadership at nine, 10 and 12 against the Reds.
    • "I think it's time to start looking at people that are actually going to deliver on a more consistent basis and play the style of football that we need to play to succeed at this level."
    • "We wouldn't be putting him [O'Connor] out there if we didn't think he could cope,"
    • "He's ready to play Super 14.
    • "If we were right in the hunt to contest finals maybe I'd go for a bit more experience, but why wait until next year?
    • "It's important now to get them started so ... next year there's no guessing."
    • "We just think the workrate around the pitch hasn't been acceptable for the level where we want to head and it's time for AJ to shift and improve his performance,"

Some pretty clear messages to the player group there!

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    9 = chris o'young, who had a good game
    10 = lachlan mckay not so good, but first 80 minutes of football he's played since ....god knows when, probably in the first year of WF football.
    12 = Staniforth (correct me if i'm wrong) held his weight both in the scrum and out in the centres...
    But you'll notice he didn't say "I was disappointed at how 9, 10 and 12 played", he said he was disappointed about the lack (presumably) of leadership. I reckon it has been a bit of a problem this year, when no-one seemed to be able to wake the team up and get them focused.

vCash
    As long as we don't hear the old "leadership" group line dribbled out like AFL seems pre-occupied with!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd like to know what they are thinking of doing with players like Hilgendorf and Mackay. I definitely think we should keep one of them and if it were me I'd keep Hilgendorf even though I know there is no contract as it stands. If you kept both though one of them just wouldn't get any game time and it probably wouldn't be worth the Force's while.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    i like o'connor and mackay. sucks that one might replace the other

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    So Mitch said :
    • "Our vision is just going to take us a little bit longer,"
    • "But there's two things you can do. You can look backwards and look down at the ground or look to where you want to head.
    • "It's important that we play well in the next three games.
    • "There's no denying the fact that I was disappointed with the leadership at nine, 10 and 12 against the Reds.
    • "I think it's time to start looking at people that are actually going to deliver on a more consistent basis and play the style of football that we need to play to succeed at this level."
    • "We wouldn't be putting him [O'Connor] out there if we didn't think he could cope,"
    • "He's ready to play Super 14.
    • "If we were right in the hunt to contest finals maybe I'd go for a bit more experience, but why wait until next year?
    • "It's important now to get them started so ... next year there's no guessing."
    • "We just think the workrate around the pitch hasn't been acceptable for the level where we want to head and it's time for AJ to shift and improve his performance,"

Some pretty clear messages to the player group there!
    I really think much of this weeks selection, and press releases are all abou tMitch painting in LARGE RED LETTERS this is the big hook boys, you didn't work hard enough and you're now gettign splinters.......If these guys can do it, you'll have to earn your way back in.....I personally think it was needed a bit earlier in the slump, but it's never too late to start fixing the problem!

C'mon the

vCash
    considering how much mckay gets paid a season and how little hes done in his time here, im not surprised the force are keeping their options open. his contract is up at the end of this season and there hasn't been much said about whats happening. i may be wrong but im not expecting him to be around next year. in daruda and o'connor we have two young guys who can develop into good 12s aswell as spanner if need be and junior when he recovers

vCash
    Jimmy has already said he's heading back east hasn't he? A bastard he got such a bad injury early on. I really rate him. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run at 12.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Absolutely agree. I just hope he can keep playing and all the injuries come good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast