Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crusaders put out strongest team possible

vCash

Crusaders put out strongest team possible

Four Changes for Crusaders

April 3, 2007

There are four changes in the Crusaders starting XV to tackle the Western Force on Saturday night, from that which ran out during last weekend’s 34-33 win over the NSW Waratahs in Sydney.

Winger Caleb Ralph, first-five-eighths Daniel Carter and halfback Andrew Ellis all return to the back division, in the places of Scott Hamilton, Stephen Brett and Kevin Senio respectively, while Michael Paterson is promoted from the bench to the second row for the injured Chris Jack.

Hamilton, Brett and Senio have all been included among the run on reserves, while Jack is expected to be sidelined for possibly up to six weeks, after suffering from a strained hamstring tendon during the win at Aussie Stadium.

“While we’ve had to make a few changes, we’ve still been able to enjoy a fair bit of continuity, with all but Dan Carter having been involved in the match day 22 last week,” Crusaders coach Robbie Deans says.

“And he was involved in most of the preparation for that match anyway, until we had to pull him out through injury, so we are benefiting from a bit of consistency in terms of having the core of the group involved.

“What the changes simply illustrate is the competition we have for places each week, and that’s not a bad situation to be in.”

This is best highlighted by the situation immediately behind the scrum, where halfbacks Ellis and Senio have been rotated in the position over each of the last four weeks.

“The competition is definitely bringing out the best in both of them and that’s a very good thing for the team as a whole,” Deans notes.

Carter, who was a late withdrawal from the trip to Sydney after his injured neck failed to recover in time, has been involved in training this week and is fit to resume.

That pushes his understudy, Brett, back to the run on reserves after another accomplished performance at Aussie Stadium.

Brett is part of a three-back, four-forward bench, with the Crusaders reverting to a more traditional split among the substitutes after having operated with just two additional backline options during the last two matches.

“We look at the mix each week, in terms of how we best cover all of possible eventualities, but with the returning guys having had a couple of matches now, we feel we can afford the additional back cover,” Deans says.

The Western Force, who have been based in Christchurch since the weekend, are the best performed of the Australian contingent this year, arriving in New Zealand on the back of three consecutive wins, including last Friday night’s gritty 22-12 win over the Sharks.

John Mitchell’s team also bring strong road form with them, having won both of their matches in South Africa earlier in the competition, while also drawing with the NSW Waratahs in Sydney.

“They’ve done exceedingly well, and have grown in confidence with every week that the competition has progressed,” Deans says.

“Mitch recruited astutely in the off-season and has got his team playing accurately and with purpose. They will be a major challenge.”

The two teams drew at their only previous Super 14 meeting, 23-23 at Subiaco Oval in Perth last year.

The Crusaders side to play the Western Force in Saturday night’s Rebel Sport Super 14 match at Jade Stadium in Christchurch is:

1. Wyatt Crockett
    2. Corey Flynn
    3. Campbell Johnstone
    4. Ross Filipo
    5. Michael Paterson
    6. Reuben Thorne
    7. Richard McCaw (captain)
    8. Mose Tuiali’i
    9. Andrew Ellis
    10. Daniel Carter
    11. Caleb Ralph
    12. Aaron Mauger
    13. Casey Laulala
    14. Rico Gear
    15. Leon MacDonald

Run on reserves

16. Ti’i Paulo
    17. Ben Franks
    18. Kieran Read
    19. Johnny Leo’o
    20. Kevin Senio
    21. Stephen Brett
    22. Scott Hamilton

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 04-04-07 at 08:44.
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    It's gonna happen this weekend folks. It will be a great game and a great win for us. We have the confidence, the talent and ability to win. The Crusaders are just another team and more than beatable, that's all the lads need to think about.

Go The Force

Just happy to be here

Rookie
    vCash
    The Crusaders have beaten the Force twice and drawn with them once. Gear's been unstoppable and I can't think of many occasions where the Force have been subjected to constant counter-attacking.

Crusaders by plenty.

Last edited by Bacon; 04-04-07 at 09:03.

vCash
    It will be the force by 5 i reckon, with thier defence being the key, shutting down the crusaders attack...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    how many times have we played the Crusaders ? I thought only once at home with a draw

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    The two melbourne trial games don't really count do they...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    oh right forgot about them .. well I wouldn't count them, they weren't worth any points and I imagined the Force used them as training runs more than serious games .. dunno...

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Apprentice
    vCash
    First half will be vital the returning all black look to be struggling to get through a full 80mins. Front Row is on the money, the defence will bethe key, and our backs are some of the best tacklers this season

Iris
    You sound a bit like Eddie..... Trials definitely count, but it is a chance to field some less experiend players. I think if you tried to tell the players that trials don't count, they would be pretty upset.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I guess trials count as far as team selection is concerned but they are not really a great gauge to work by if you are rating the team by it. Besides, the history books never talk about trial matches....not that I've seen anyway.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris
    ..... Trials definitely count
    I'd agree, the trials matter plenty to the players and I'm sure there isn't much taken back into the changerooms. It is a very good indicator of team depth when (in the last game at least) both teams switched the entire side at half time. Less so for tactics when the games are pre-season and the coaches may be a bit cagy, but this far through the season I can't imagine there will be too many mysteries about the tactical approaches from each side. The Crusaders will probably have more tricks available if required, but I think they're hardly likely to be changing their approach for this game.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris
    You sound a bit like Eddie..... Trials definitely count, but it is a chance to field some less experiend players. I think if you tried to tell the players that trials don't count, they would be pretty upset.
    me? woohoo - I like Eddie

I mean they don't count as they're not worth points, you loose a trial game and you've lost a bit of pride but learnt lots. Most people don't take trial games too seriously when judging how their team is going in the home and away season.

Same with AFL...

vCash
    I thought she meant eddie jones, i could be wrong though...Not Eddie (look at me i am everywhere Mcguire)...

vCash
    Trial games a worth heaps, the Tahs beat the Saders in a trial, um, but lost in the real thing. So in conclusion, trial games don't really count. Thank you.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    rofl chook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast