Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steenkamp quits Force for France

Champion
    vCash

Steenkamp quits Force for France

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian

South African second-rower Wilhelm Steenkamp has left the Western Force after two seasons.
    Steenkamp and the Super Rugby club have, as expected, mutually agreed to end his contract a year early. The former emerging Springbok is set to join French Top 14 club Brive next season.
    His departure removes any last-minute obstacles for former Springbok fly-half Peter Grant, who will join the Force for two seasons as their third overseas international alongside Steve Mafi and Alby Mathewson.
    Meanwhile, the club has named the Spirit squad for this year’s National Rugby Championship that starts later this month.
    The squad includes 16 Force members, 16 local premier grade players and Fijian 7s player Sevuloni Mocenacagi. Force players Matt Hodgson, Alby Mathewson, Pek Cowan, Jono Lance and Ben Tapuai will not feature for the Spirit.
    Coach Tai McIsaac said he would not continue last year’s experiment of using mostly local players in away games and Force players at home.
    “We had to do a bit of adjusting to get the right spread of local club and Force players but there is plenty of talent and providing we keep most guys fit, we’ll be right,” McIsaac said.
    “We’re not doing home and away teams but there may be a couple of (Force) guys that we give a week off because of the load they carried.”
    Chris Heiberg, Heath Tessmann, Oliver Hoskins, Rory Walton, Ross Haylett-Petty, Chris Alcock, Kane Koteka, Angus Cottrell, Ian Prior, Luke Burton, Brad Lacey, Kyle Godwin, Ammon Matuauto, Sevuloni Mocenacagi, Albert Nikoro, Francois van Wyk, Harry Scoble, Tetera Faulkner, Anaru Rangi, Adrian Hall, Riley Winter, Auega Seumanatafa, Richard Hardwick, Alex Rovira, Hayden Anderson, Ryan Louwrens, Michael Ruru, Nicholas Jooste, Junior Rasolea, Onehunga Havilli, Maalonga Konelio, Daley Harper, Bryon Hutchinson.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Oh!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I like the idea of naming a consistent squad. I think it's one of the key things that the Rebels did last year which set them up for a good season in Super Rugby.

As long as the workload is managed and injuries are rehabbed properly (with the understanding that the key Force players are required for the start of the season) I think this is a great move.

Similarly with the mix of 50% Force heads and 50% from Pindan Prems, I think that mix is good. We can name a bloody strong side in relation to the competition and, as a result, gain some momentum. I think one of the enduring issues with the Force has been an unwillingness or inability to win games, that inbred toughness that characterises the AllBlacks and teams like the Crusaders, where they KNOW how to win games (seemingly from untenable positions) If we start to develop some of those cultures in the NRC, hopefully they'll spill over to the Big Show!

Oh and Willy's departure surely means they've got their hooks into a promising Aussie-based or development lock to replace him.

As we have seen with the Flyhalf thing, the departure of the incumbent is announced WEEKS before the naming of the replacement.....It'll be interesting to see who they pick, because there are a lot of gaps to fill in the second row.

0 Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    I would like to think that we have our lock replacements ready to sign, but I also think the focus was on grant. Now that these arrangements are settled I think the hunt now for a decent 4 & 5 begins in earnest. How no idea who is decent and available and would want to play here.

0 Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    If they put all the negotiating eggs in one basket at one time. Everyone involved needs to fall on their swords immediately.
    Juggling two managers at one time isn't that hard surely!

I've never been in a situation where I've worked on one thing solely! - don't get me wrong, it'd be fantastic!!! But it just doesn't happen

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Just think the focus (rightly) has been on securing a new 10. Priorities. But considering we need to sign two locks we may be a bit behind the 8 ball. It is what it is I guess. The ARU riding in on their white charger to break an overseas contract on a decent lock may ally my fears however.

0 Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure signing Grant hasn't taken 100% of the focus for anybody. Having done a bit of that sort of stuff, it usually ends up with short periods of intense negotiation followed by extended periods of waiting.

1 Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    So with both Steenkamp and Ebersohn gone, I guess the 'recruit South African' policy didn't turn out quite as well as was hoped.

Is Mickey Arthur still involved at the Force?

0 Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    So with both Steenkamp and Ebersohn gone, I guess the 'recruit South African' policy didn't turn out quite as well as was hoped.

Is Mickey Arthur still involved at the Force?
    Yes he is, and no the South African policy is still the go.

Peter Grant is from South Africa replacing Ebersohn, Steenkamp only going because it made sense to rather keep the other two marquees.

Also the NRC squad has Frans V Wyk, and Chris Heilberg part of the SA project, and a number of players have their roots or parents roots originating in SA

Two assistant coaches from SA for Force and One from NRC with SA roots

3 Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    Could sign a SA lock now the foreign development spot is vacant that was used on Ebersohn.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Is D HPs brother Ross a part of the squad or the EP squad? He plays lock doesn't he? Young and new but him and Adam with Hodgo giving advice on calls? Could work!
    Clutching at straws!

0 Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Is D HPs brother Ross a part of the squad or the EP squad? He plays lock doesn't he? Young and new but him and Adam with Hodgo giving advice on calls? Could work!
    Clutching at straws!
    i thought ross was a flanker, not lock. which is why i was worried when he was one of 3 locks announced for the spirit.

1 Not allowed!

vCash
    I queried this in the NRC thread, but apparently RHP is ~2m tall, so can play lock. He might need to bulk up to help with the scrums (although not in the Skelton mould), but a fast, agile lock, at NRC level at least, could be a useful weapon.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    If he's pushing 2M he can be made into a lock, regardless of whether he plays 6 now.

A bit more muscle and learning to play tighter wouldn't be too hard would it?

0 Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Give him a few pies!

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast