Thread: Triple Crown too much for Jones

vCash

Triple Crown too much for Jones

Triple Crown too much for Jones

Ryan Jones struggled to put the emotion of lifting the Triple Crown trophy into words after leading Wales to a 16-12 victory over Ireland in Dublin on Saturday.

Just five months after bombing out of the World Cup, Wales are now on the brink of sealing the RBS 6 Nations title and will be playing for the Grand Slam when France visit the Millennium Stadium next Saturday.

Jones said: “You can’t put moments like that into words. It was fantastic. Very few people get to do it. I am proud and privileged.

“The most important thing was doing it on behalf of the other boys. Individual performances and memories don’t mean anything - it is the fact I got to represent those boys.

“I wish we could have all gone up because it was impressive to look out over 73,000 people and hear the cheer go up.”

Wales’ achievement is in stark contrast to their disappointing World Cup campaign last autumn.

“No one came back from the World Cup more disappointed than the players,” said Jones.

“But that has gone. It is in past. We made a conscious effort to wipe the slate clean and start again.

“We have worked hard and moved on. It was bitterly disappointing not to be involved in the World Cup (through injury). This is my World Cup.”

Jones’ high hopes have been entirely born out by Wales’ Six Nations fortunes so far.

“If someone had asked me before the tournament if I thought I would be sat here with the Triple Crown and going for the Grand Slam I would have probably said ‘I hope so’,” he added.

“We came into this competition with huge belief. The guys were confident, and certainly no one has worked harder than us in the last five weeks - and we have earned the rewards we have got.

“This championship is not over. We have one game to go, and the boys have their eyes on the big prize.” Warren Gatland’s men return home from Dublin with a healthy points difference of plus-65, and France will need big wins over Italy on Sunday and Wales next week to stand any chance of snatching the title.

“Things are in our hands,” said Gatland.

“We are not relying on anyone else to cause an upset. We are in charge of our own destiny, which is the way you want it.”

Shane Williams scored the decisive try - the 40th of his Test career - to equal Gareth Thomas’ Wales record after slicing between two defenders and handing off Andrew Trimble.

Williams also had to slot into scrum-half when Mike Phillips was sin-binned, and assistant coach Shaun Edwards said: “He is one of the most exciting players I have ever seen play the game of rugby, be it league or union.

“He is just very special - and he is not a bad scrum-half either!”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

vCash
    they deserve it - hope all the boyos enjoy this - we'ill be back next year

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Surely they'll trip up at the final hurdle...I can't imagine that team will play the 6N undefeated!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Surely they'll trip up at the final hurdle...I can't imagine that team will play the 6N undefeated!
    now now now GIGS if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say don't say anything at all.......unless it is about the Tahs.

War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

vCash
    You should've realised after last night that's just not me, If you've got nothing nice to say....SAY IT ........ LOUD........ and repeatedly!

C'mon the

vCash
    what he said