Latham wants Wallabies to be ruthless

17/09/2007 2:37:00 PM
PA Sport

Chris Latham warned Australia will need to be more ruthless if they are to claim a third world title.

Latham was disappointed the Wallabies allowed Wales a foot-hold in yesterday's game at the Millennium Stadium after storming into a 25-3 half-time lead.

Wales never really threatened to overhaul the Wallabies but did enjoy the better of the second half and worked tries for Jonathan Thomas and Shane Williams.

Victory leaves Australia in pole position to top Pool B and earn a preferable quarter-final draw against England rather than powerful Tri-Nations foes South Africa.

While the Welsh were taking some solace from their second-half performance, Latham stuck the boot in by insisting Australia should never have allowed it to happen.

"I feel as if we should have put them away. They were a team that needed to be put away - and unfortunately we didn't do that," said Latham.

"They are a proud team that sticks in there - and they showed that. But if we had 'executed' in the way that I think we should have, we could have put them away.

"I suppose that's a little bit of credit to them and the way they hung in there and stopped us.

"There was probably a slight negative to our game - but in the end it's our first win in Cardiff for two years, so we will take the win and the bonus point."

Latham is not keen to contemplate yet the prospect of meeting England in the quarter-final, with pool games against Fiji and Japan still to come.

But it has not escaped his attention how England were over-powered as South Africa completed an emphatic 36-0 victory on Friday night.

Is it a relief to know they have probably done enough to avoid meeting the Springboks in the last eight?

"I'll play anyone, mate! This is about winning a World Cup - so whether it is England or Samoa or South Africa in the quarter-final, it doesn't faze me," he said.

"You have to beat the best to be the best."

"South Africa were very physical and dominant, and England couldn't match that; then they got a few key injuries."

"If you look at the England team, they have some talented players in there - but at the moment they are just in a bit of a rut, where they think that they can't do it."

"But it will click for them, and we just have to hope it doesn't click in the quarter-final!"

Latham reserved special praise for Berrick Barnes, his 21-year-old Queensland team-mate who was a late replacement for the injured Stephen Larkham.

Barnes was confirmed in the team only on the morning of the match but dealt with his nerves superbly to create Australia's first try for Matt Giteau.

Barnes was clattered by a late hit from Wales captain Gareth Thomas but picked himself up to land a measured drop-goal as Australia marched clear in the first half.

"Berrick was sensational. He's a young kid without much experience in terms of rugby at this level," said Latham.

"For a young kid to mentally deal with all that, then come out and put on a performance like that, says a lot about his character and his natural ability."

"I think he has proved he is a great asset to Australian rugby."

"He was outstanding. He's a great talent."