Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FORCE SECURE TALENTED BACK

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

FORCE SECURE TALENTED BACK

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Thursday, 30 June 2011

FORCE SECURE TALENTED BACK

The Emirates Western Force has continued their positive recruitment drive for the 2012 season by adding exciting young outside back Jordan Rapana to their squad.

Rapana heads west after recently returning to Australia following a two year religious mission in the UK while he also makes the switch to rugby after a stint in league.

Drafted by the Gold Coast Titans directly from high school, Rapana was the youngest player in the club’s history (18yrs) when he debuted in 2008. He played five NRL games and scored five tries, including two against the Roosters in his first match.

Such was his impact in his rookie season Rapana was named in the U20’s Team of the Year and selected to play for NZ Maori against the NRL Indigenous All-Stars in a feature match to open the 2009 Rugby League World Cup.

A commitment to his Mormon faith saw him opt out of the second year of his contract at the Titans and he spent the next two years abroad based in the rugby heartlands of England and Wales.

While the New Zealand born youngster was unable to participate in any professional programmes during his missionary work, his time in Gloucester, Worcester, Swansea and Cardiff, amongst others, rekindled his love of rugby.

“I was brought up on rugby and our family is really passionate about the game. When I served my mission in England and Wales it happened to be in big premiership rugby cities and that definitely ignited the passion again for rugby,” Rapana said.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge of moving back into rugby and I’m confident that if I put in the hard work during the off season that it’ll be the right move for me.

“I was very fortunate to be given an opportunity to play in a professional environment straight out of school and I’ve set myself to do everything I can in local rugby and pre-season games to earn a place in the Western Force side next season,” said Rapana.

After hearing of Rapana’s return to Australia Emirates Western Force coach Richard Graham invited the youngster to trial in Perth and was immediately impressed with his dedication and ability.

“Having been away for two years and not part of a professional rugby programme Jordan joined the squad in Perth and ran the second fastest GPS time we recorded this year,” Graham said.

“He is quick, and aerially one of the best players I’ve seen in recent times, while he also possesses a very good all round skill set.”

“Jordan is very keen to establish himself in rugby and we were extremely impressed with him as a person and a player during that trial period.

“Forward thinking by RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid enabled us to move the negotiations along quickly and secure this exciting young talent who I believe will be a great addition to the squad,” said Graham.

The 21 year old is the younger brother of 2010 Emirates Western Force rookie Joelin Rapana who played a hand in getting him to Perth.

“Joelin spoke to me a lot about the club. He really loved being in Perth and said the programme was excellent. His words of encouragement helped make the decision to come to WA very easy,” Rapana said.

Rapana will remain at home on the Gold Coast and play with the Breakers in the Queensland Premier Rugby competition before joining his new Emirates Western Force team mates in Perth ahead of the club’s tour to Samoa in August where they’ll play two matches against the Samoan test team.

“I have no concerns about Jordan being able to quickly establish himself in rugby. By the end of this year he’ll have around 15 games of rugby under his belt and is the kind of player who could quickly step up and play Super Rugby in 2012,” said Graham.

Name: Jordan Rapana
    DOB: 15 August 1989
    Position: Wing/Fullback
    Height: 187cm
    Weight: 95kg
    Playing History: Gold Coast Titans (NRL) – 5 games / 5 tries (2008)
    Honours: NRL U20’s Team of the Year (2008)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    While it will be good to sign at least one big name back it's also good to see young blokes like this given the chance to break into the top level, usually means they will be more loyal to the club that gave them the start. If he comes from a rugby background in N.Z. I cant see any problem for him coming over from league.
    With a strong religious background I wouldn't imagine him being involved in a 'quokkagate' or bar room brawls so hopefully he may be a good fit with the playing group...

vCash
    The Force is at it's best when developing younger players - wish this young man well and extend a heart felt welcome - hope he enjoys it here in the West - sounds really promising - wonder if he can kick accurately

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion
    vCash
    Anyone know what happened to his brother ?

vCash
    Joelin? sp.. didnt he also go walkabout?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    he's back playing in Wellington,he is in the Wellington NPC squad

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I am getting fairly skeptical about the Force's recruitment policy when it comes to backs. At least this guy is young, not injury crocked, and seems fairly fast. We just have to bloody hope that none of our games fall on a Sunday.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    marketing.... we need some high profile player... bums on seats....Sign Nanu and we will get the turnstils turning

vCash
    Robin williams is a bit over the hill.. would be a bit like those snickers ads..
    or do you mean Nonu?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    While it will be good to sign at least one big name back it's also good to see young blokes like this given the chance to break into the top level, usually means they will be more loyal to the club that gave them the start. If he comes from a rugby background in N.Z. I cant see any problem for him coming over from league.
    With a strong religious background I wouldn't imagine him being involved in a 'quokkagate' or bar room brawls so hopefully he may be a good fit with the playing group...
    As loyal as JOC?

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Message to Innforcer " How about pre season tour to Samoa"

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Dunno if they'd be game to give have the TheInnForcer tourers a visa !

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOBSRFC View Post
    Message to Innforcer " How about pre season tour to Samoa"
    I am already off to NZ for RWC this yaer and a wedding in February next year, so no chance for me sorry

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    marketing.... we need some high profile player... bums on seats....Sign Nanu and we will get the turnstils turning
    Nonu to blues for 2 years
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Dunno if they'd be game to give have the TheInnForcer tourers a visa !
    Samoa might not have enough beer or Guiness!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast