Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Staniforth likely to leave

vCash

Staniforth likely to leave

Looks like he will be gone.
    **** Mitchell for not playing him at 12... I will never forgive him.. massive loss. Why he decided to play him on the wing instead after his breath taking performance last year is beyond me.

Staniforth likely to leave

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488120/1041949

Mar 29, 2007
    Joel

While Western Force coach John Mitchell is able to welcome back Matt Giteau this weekend, he could be about to lose last season's main man Scott Staniforth for good, with the winger considering a lucrative offer to playoverseas.

Staniforth will miss out against the Sharks this weekend because of injury, and also has an offer to play in Japan to weigh up as he recuperates.

The versatile Wallaby, who battled his way back into international contention with nine Super 14 tries last year, hasbeen shunted out to the wing for the Force this year with the arrival of Ryan Cross and Giteau.

And after admitting frustration at his wider position, the offer to join Kintetsu is being considered, but not commented on, by the 29 year-old.

A similar offer from France has reportedly been tabled to young first five Scott Daruda. Clermont Auvergne, who took former Force five-eighth Brock James when he was released last year, are said to be interested.

Ahead of Friday's third successive home game for the Force, split by the bye, halfback combination Giteau and Matt Henjak have both been recalled, but not as a duo.

Instead Giteau will be re-employed in the centres, with Jimmy Hilgendorf retaining his place at five-eighth.

Hooker Tai McIsaac, prop Troy Takiari and flanker Matt Hodgson were all also restored to the starting side for the game, which skipper Nathan Sharpe said could be season defining.

"Our defence has been one of our strong points, but it is likely to get the biggest test of the season so far," Sharpe wrote on the Sunday Times website.

"They are one of the form teams at the moment and it will give us a chance to see how we stand against a top side."

Henjak's return sees the unfortunate Chris O'Young move to the bench alongside Junior Pelesasa - but it is in the forwards Mitchell believes his side's biggest test will come.

"The Sharks will look to carry the ball on the fringe of the rucks and mauls but they'll also play with width," Mitchell said.

"They have some young and exciting backs, and their forwards are the best in the competition, so our pack is looking forward to the challenge.

Veteran Sharks loose forward AJ Venter agreed, saying the breakdown would be the arena where Super 14's two tightest defences could be breached.

"We've always placed a high emphasis our breakdown work, but against the Force it's something that we've stressed more than ever," Venter said.

"I believe whoever wins that facet of play will stand the best chance of winning, because they'll be able to attack an unset defence."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    told ya, I am no longer watching a Force game if he decides to go. When i met mitchell thought he was nice....not no more

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    With the strength and depth that we have in the backs now it was inevitable that we were going to get some casualities. Good luck to spanner if that is his decision. I'm sure Mitch is picking the back line combination that works the best and I think to blame him for spanners career improvement move is a bit harsh.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I don't agree TEF, i feel stanners has been let down by the Force, in that after him achieving so much last year, and being such an integral part of the team, to being relegated to the wing outside a well performing centres pairing who rarely pass the ball, well, it has to be terribly upsetting and frustrating for the man...However, that being said, it must be hard when you have a wealth of talent to choose from, and imports who expect to fill positions that they signed on for, to keep everyone happy, i don't envy Mitchs possie at all...Just feel Stanners has been hard done by, thats all...Good luck to him if he ends up leaving, but i will still respect Mitch, and the Force will still be my team of choice...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Rookie
    vCash
    Well it does seem a shame that they lured him back from playing overseas only to shun him a year later. He is a great player and if he's unwanted by the Force, he can go and do great things elsewhere.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    this sort of issue affects all sporting teams all over the world .. too many good players who all want a run on and limited spots to put them in. Yes it will be sad but there is more here than just Mitchell not choosing him, best of luck to him anyway!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Rookie
    vCash
    Sunrise, sunset.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't think the Force properly rewarded Staniforth for last year. A start at 12 was unlikely with Giteau coming over, but I thought Staniforth deserved first shot at 13 - makes me wonder what commitments were made to Cross. He does some great work and all, but for mine he still doesn't seem to impact a game the way a top 13 ought (and Connelly sees him as a possibility at 12? - howling at the moon stuff !!)

Thought the starting line this year should have been:
    Hilgendorf, Mitchell, Giteau, Staniforth, Cross and Shepherd
    changing to either
    Giteau, Mitchell, Staniforth, Cross, Ioane, Shep or
    Giteau, Mitchell, Staniforth, Pelesasa, Cross, Shep
    once Hilgendorf got injured.

Still, my impression is that if Staniforth leaves, it is more on the ARU's head than the Force's. And some casualties are probably inevitable this year in any case - Daruda was always a likely departure once Giteau became an option at 10 (and a good one too frankly), there was always a chance either Staniforth or Ioane would feel underutilised and that Sare/Stapleton could see their path as too congested. Personally I'd hate to see any of these leave, but pragmatically they will all be looking for more game time. I do wonder what progress has been made to being able to implement a rotation policy in the backs though. Combinations are important and all, but so is depth and rest once finals campaigns become a possibility.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Stapleton will go back home at end of season, reports are that he is very homesick and misses the family.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    Stapleton will go back home at end of season, reports are that he is very homesick and misses the family.

he will be missed but didnt get much of a run with his other comitments

it is a real pitty to change a top try scorers position to where he dosnt get much of the ball and even worse to leave him on the bench. Last year he really steped up for the force and now the million dollar man has seen him pushed back aside.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    From reports I have read I dont think its Force trying to push him out. The ARU has put him in a lower band while Force has topped up to its maximum for him...maybe its now up to his agent to get a bit of corporate money to keep him here..

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    If so, that blows hard - always hoped to eventually see him putting the pedal down on the end of the Force backline. I hope that, wherever he ends up, he gets the coaching and support he needs as that sort of speed has been missing from Australian rugby at all levels for too long.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    From reports I have read I dont think its Force trying to push him out. The ARU has put him in a lower band while Force has topped up to its maximum for him...maybe its now up to his agent to get a bit of corporate money to keep him here..
    Sometimes money just does not come into the equation. I know it's as hard for you as a bookies as it is for me as a real estate agent to understand that but it is true...sometimes.

I'm sure Eddie will be happy to get him to the Reds. His family is some 4 hours drive from Brisvegas in Northern NSW.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by main game
    told ya, I am no longer watching a Force game if he decides to go. When i met mitchell thought he was nice....not no more
    I'm also tired of watching Spanners get shafted.

vCash
    We should all bring banners to the game saying DONT LEAVE US STANNI!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast