Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Force Mauritius 10s Squad

Player
    vCash
    Step 1, then onto the NRC

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Beige. Deep in your guts, you know it's nuts. (Apologies to Albo.)
    Fulvio, deep in your nuts.... I'll see myself out

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Beige.

Deep in your guts, you know it's nuts.

(Apologies to Albo.)
    Well you summed it up yourself - "Great to play in, great to watch, great for development and exposure, great for partisan jubilation," so where's the harm in enjoying that?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Ruru’s heroics make Force take notice

Nick Taylor - The West Australian on June 20, 2016, 4:58 pm

Scrum-half Michael Ruru may have staked a further claim for a shot at the Western Force squad after winning player of the tournament at the World Club 10s in Mauritius.

The Nedlands No.9 followed up an excellent National Rugby Championship with Perth Spirit to take out the award after guiding the Force to victory in the final over favourites and Super Rugby heavyweights the Brumbies.

The 7-0 win may have surprised many, but not members of the Force squad who were happy to fly under the radar as the underdogs of the competition.

They were a side made up mainly of Perth competition players and academy members with just a couple of Super Rugby players with a handful of games each.

All but one of the Brumbies 16-man squad had played Super Rugby and there was plenty of international experience in other sides.

Fittingly Ruru scored the last points of the game, converting the lone second-half try from winger Brad Lacey.

Ruru, 24, moved to Perth from New Zealand to be with family after a stint with Hawkes Bay in the ITM Cup.

“It was a great team effort,” he said. “You could say I’m lucky, and it’s a bit of a cliche, but I couldn’t have done it without the other boys.

“I’m just a premier grade player. I’m a no one at the moment, a free agent you could say.

“At the moment I’m letting this sink in and whatever happens, happens. If it takes me somewhere then I’ll grab it with two hands, otherwise I’ll be back in premier grade.

“I’d love to take the next step, to play rugby professionally for a living and give back to the community, but if it comes it comes, if it doesn’t it doesn’t.”

He said competing against some of the best in the world had lifted the side.

“What got us through was everyone believed. Everyone trusted. There were no egos, everyone listened. It was a collective effort.”

A massive defensive effort against the Brumbies brought the trophy home to Perth.

“You hear it all the time that defence wins games and we knew our attack would take care of itself,” Ruru said.

“We concentrated on our defence and that was what got us the win.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...rld-10s-crown/

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ruru might not even get many games in the NRC if we keep Prior and Louwrens in the Spirit squad!
    See if any of them want to put their hands up to get game-time at another NRC squad, but sign them up for the Force in 2017, as I think Alby has used up his marque allowance (4 years!)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    I am biased with regards to Ruru but if he is given the same opportunities that Louwrens and Prior have been given. Full time professional rugby player, he would leave them in his dust.

vCash
    It would be good to see him show what he can do at NRC level, but guess it will all depend on who will be the next coach of the Force.
    Having watched his games at the World Club 10s he definitely looks like a very good Rugby player with a very good vision. I wonder why he did not make it in New Zealand.

vCash
    Well...he did trial for the All Blacks

vCash
    Interesting when was that Ecky?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Well...he did trial for the All Blacks

Senior Player
    vCash
    yes, it is time for some of these players to step up now.

Ruru to take 3rd half back spot

Hopefully we can see Brad Lacey get a decent crack on the wing and replace Brache.

Koteka to play more off the bench ahead of Alcock

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Ruru might not even get many games in the NRC if we keep Prior and Louwrens in the Spirit squad!
    See if any of them want to put their hands up to get game-time at another NRC squad, but sign them up for the Force in 2017, as I think Alby has used up his marque allowance (4 years!)
    for Alby to remain a force player after this year we would have to lose another marquee or get another dispensation from the ARU to retain him.
    His initial deal was 2 years, then we petitioned and were allowed by the ARU to extend him.

PSA in regards to alby's contract though.

This is the last time I am going to explain it nicely.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    Interesting when was that Ecky?

Ecky was just taking the piss,Yungfen.
    Actually,the last All Black trial was back in 2005,or thereabouts

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Trial for the All Blacks = New Zealand Passport

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Ruru is better than Louwrens. Louwrens hasn't improved much this year.

It is time for the young WA talent to be given a decent crack at Super level. Koteka, Hardwick, Lacey, Winter, Ainsley, Taylor, Vui and Ruru should be given game time to help them develop. Im talking significant game time too not just 5-10mins of garbage time at the end of games, they need 10-20 games to find their feet and the pace of the game then another 10 to 20 games to see if they adapt and are up to it. This is one area we have been not very good at the last 3 years and is why some youngsters are heading east for development. While Foley was a nice guy who tried really hard he stuck to his core guys and never let some of these guys have their time to show if they are up to it. They would get a crack at NRC, show some good things then get buried back into the training squad. I feel for Koteka, last year was named Force rookie of the year, has been great in Premier Grade but has not seen any Super Rugby this year. How does help a players development? Weve got a guy like Brache, lots of heart but has scored 3 tries in 4 years. Not exactly a great strike rate for a winger yet we have a former Australia U/20s winger who has shown he can be a try scorer at the higher levels never get a crack at Super level. The year Burton and Lacey were in the Australian U20s, they were the 2 best backs in the team yet Burton gets his opportunities and Lacey doesn't.
    Foleys unwillingness to use players other than his core group showed that he was not the right fit for the Force. The Force will be relying on Diamonds in the rough and developing players for future stars, whoever the new coach is has to embrace these recruiting methods and give them time to flourish.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    You've nailed it in one Kalahard.All the wax lyrical about Foley and all the good development work he has done is a load of crap.
    Whack the local kids out,what have we got to lose.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast