Thread: Wallabies veteran Kepu calls time on rugby career

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies veteran Kepu calls time on rugby career

Fri, May 24, 2024, 9:31 AM
    AFP

Veteran Wallabies prop Sekope Kepu announced Friday he will retire from professional rugby at the end of the current Super Rugby season, ending a glittering 19-year career.

The Sydney-born 38-year-old, who plays for Moana Pasifika, made 110 appearances for Australia, including at three World Cups.

"In the last couple of weeks it's sort of dawned on me that this is the right time. Everybody that retires says you know when it's time," he said in a statement.

"All I dreamt of was to play rugby professionally and I've been very blessed to do that. While I will miss it, I'm looking forward to being there for my kids."

Kepu played for the NSW Waratahs from 2008-2019, winning the Super Rugby title in 2014, with his illustrious career also including stints at Bordeaux in France and London Irish.

"I just want to thank the fans, because without them we don't have a game," added Kepu, who is considering moving to coaching.

"My parents as well, the old man used to come to my training and games every weekend and that planted the seed."

Sekope Kepu will break new ground when he runs out onto Nissan Stadium tomorrow, as the first Australian prop to play 100 Tests. He sat down with RUGBY.com.au this week to talk footy, family and the future.
    He headed to New Zealand in 2021, where he has spent the last three seasons with Moana Pasifika, serving as their inaugural captain.

“Moana Pasifika was blessed to have Sekope as our inaugural Captain in 2022. The video of the moment Sekope was announced as the Captain will live long in the memory as it captured the raw emotion and how special it was for all," Moana Pasifika CEO Pelenato Sakalia said

“His extensive experience and leadership meant we had a Captain during the covid affected season that was able to lead the team and look after the boys during these trying times.”

“Sekope set high standards and wouldn’t accept anything less than what was required to enable the team to perform.”

His longevity in the game ensured the wealth of knowledge he had accumulated was brought to benefit Moana Pasifika in our inaugural year when he was Captain.”

“His presence within our environment was inspirational and lifted everyone to greater levels

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallab...career-2024524

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    One of my favourites

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.