Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Brown and Swanepoel to Start for Cottesloe In This Weekends Semi-Finals

vCash

Brown and Swanepoel to Start for Cottesloe In This Weekends Semi-Finals

Wallaby Richard Brown will return to WA club rugby this weekend when he turns out for Cottesloe in the KWIK Senior Competition Minor Semi Final against Wanneroo at Lark Hill on Sunday.

Brown, who started at Number 8 for the Wallabies against South Africa in their Tri-Nations encounter in Perth on Saturday, has been omitted from the match-day 22 selected for this weekend’s international against the Springboks by Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

At the direction of Wallabies coaching staff, the 11-Test veteran was asked to play club rugby, and nominated to return to WA to play for Cottesloe.

As he had not played club rugby anywhere in Australia in 2009, Brown was granted a dispensation by RugbyWA under Rule 11(3)(a) to allow him to play for Cottesloe. He has been registered with the club since 2006.

Wanneroo and Cottesloe to go Head to Head
    Image Courtesy of Matthew Greenfield | Perth Sports Photography

Brown will be joined in the side by Emirates Western Force Academy halfback MarkSwanepoel, who has been plying his trade with University of Queensland in recent weeks.

Swanepoel has played four games for Cottesloe in 2009, satisfying the requirements of the competition rules to play in finals.

Rugbywa CEO Vern Reid said the return of Brown was a major boost for the competition.

“Richard is an outstanding player, and he will raise the standard of the KWIK Senior Competition Premier Grade to a higher level,” Reid said.

“The decision to grant him dispensation was not taken lightly, and was made without reference to the clubs involved in the fixture (Cottesloe and Wanneroo). We ensured that no parties from either club were involved in the decision.

“Richard is a strong supporter of club rugby in WA, and we’re very happy that he has chosen to play club rugby here rather than in Sydney.”

The Premier Grade Minor Semi Final between Cottesloe and Wanneroo kicks off at 3.30pm on Sunday at the Lark Hill Sports Complex in Rockingham. Nedlands and Palmyra will contest the Major Semi Final at the same venue at 3.30pm on Saturday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    The fact they didn't discuss it with the clubs only makes it worse.

Take the bastards to court Wanneroo!

You could get a chambers listing for an injunction tomorrow morning.

vCash
    I like the way they posted it an hour before the newest article to hide it.

RWA are pretty much saying they support it as well and they are looking for every excuse they can to support cott. I would have thought that they would be behind eligible players playing in the finals.

vCash
    Ohhh so now they are supporting his decision to play in the Perth Comp, whereas they have pushed all the other players east because the comp isn't good enough here?!? Sounds suss to me...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Brown was granted a dispensation by RugbyWA under Rule 11(3)(a) to allow him to play..."

You obviously have a far greater depth of knowledge on this topic than me Fulv however, going by the above I wouldn't think it would be in court for long?
    Legality over morality perhaps?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    11.3 Dispensations
    (a) Clubs seeking dispensation for players to participate in a Finals match in a team that they would, pursuant to these Competition Rules, be otherwise ineligible to play for, must apply in writing to the Competition Manager for that dispensation by 12 noon on the Wednesday prior to the match concerned. Clubs that make a timely application for such a dispensation will be advised as to the result of their application (and of the conditions (if any) on which any such dispensation have been granted) by 5pm on the Thursday prior to the match concerned. Applications for dispensation that fall outside the prescribed submission deadline will be considered by the Competition Manager only in the most exceptional circumstances.

(b) Dispensations will only be granted under Rule 11(3)(a) for the purposes of safety, or through injury to players for the duration of the Finals series, or in cases where a player is graded as ineligible as a direct result of that player’s involvement in representative matches for a WA State team(s) or some other RugbyWA representative side(s).

(c) Breaches of the conditions (if any) under which a dispensation has, pursuant to this rule, been granted by the Competition Manager, or the provision of false information to the Competition Manager for the purposes of securing such a dispensation will automatically disqualify the offending team from all Finals matches.

Complete Document Here: http://gotheforce.com/uploaded/1/1251962257.pdf

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Enough is enough, we keep complaining that the Force players are not putting anything into local rugby, and when someone with the calibre of Brown offers to come back and play, you all swarm over him like he is the enemy.

You cannot have your cake and eat it, if you want an improvement in club rugby by getting players of this calibre, we need to use the limited opportunities available.

Good on you Richard. From me and I am sure many other, thanks for putting back something into the local game, we appreciate it.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    can i praise twice....hmm thought not.. hear hear Tazz my sentiments exactly

vCash
    I don't think there is any ill will being directed at Brown here - it's RugbyWA that are being questioned.

vCash
    “The decision to grant him dispensation was not taken lightly, and was made without reference to the clubs involved in the fixture (Cottesloe and Wanneroo). We ensured that no parties from either club were involved in the decision.
    Surely Cottesloe would have to have been involved as they would have been required to make the request for a dispensation?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't think anyone (well not most anyway) have any issue with Brownie Tazz, it is aimed squarely at RWA.
    Totally agree that it is great that he wants to play or even make himself available and I hope there is more of it next year, just that it should be done in a fair manner for all concerned.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I don't think there is any ill will being directed at Brown here - it's RugbyWA that are being questioned.
    But Rugby WA are doing the right thing. It is very rare, as we have seen over the past few years that due to the distance between us and where the Wallabies train that we get the chance to use Wallabies in the local comp, and with this opportunity arising, I say good on Rugby WA. On saturday night there are going to be a few people that can say I have played with and against Richard Brown, and gee you should have seen how he did this or that, I am going to try that next time out.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would suggest that while they may be doing the right thing for the profile of the fixture and for the overall standing of the comp they may well be doing it at the expense of the trust of their member clubs, as evidenced here by the fairly overwhelming outcry by our senior local club people on TWF, most of whom aren't involved in the outcome.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Mate there is nothing wrong with Browny playing for Cottesloe, good on him, it's the timing of the match that is what is getting everyone fired up... Finals are meant to be played by the team that earned the right to be there - for Cott to be able to bring in a player of Richard's calibre for a knockout match that is where the issue lies, this is just going to lead to more ridiculous things happening in the future and clubs testing the boundaries as to what they can and cannot legally do.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    How can you possibly reconcile RWA's statement with the rule they refer to?

The rule requires an application by the club. They say the ARU required it and they had no discussion with the club.

The whole thing is bullshit and they should be dragged through the courts for the hypocrites they are.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast