Thread: Moore Sold on Brumbies Tradition

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Moore Sold on Brumbies Tradition

Bret Harris

AFTER agonising over his future for weeks, Wallabies hooker Stephen Moore is poised to sign with the Brumbies because he will be a perfect fit with the two-time Super champions.

Moore was pursued by the Brumbies and Western Force after announcing his intention to leave Queensland.

While he said there was little separating the Brumbies and Force, Moore was attracted to the Canberra-based side's history and tradition.

"It was an incredibly difficult decision. I did a lot of toing and froing. Both sides had huge positives," Moore said. "At the end of the day the Brumbies felt like the best option and the best fit.

"The Brumbies have an established culture and a great playing group. It was just the feel of the whole place.

"The Force were also very good. They presented an excellent case and John Mitchell is an excellent coach. At some point I had to make a decision."

A strong ball-runner as well as a skilful technician in the set-pieces, Moore will bring a new dimension to the Brumbies.

"The way the Brumbies play suits my game," he said. "The fact I would improve as a footballer also weighed heavily in my decision. In the set-pieces, I hope I can add to their existing foundation as a scrum leader and contributor to lineout success. I'm very aware of the importance of the set-pieces."

Moore is excited about playing in a pack which includes Wallabies forwards George Smith, Mark Chisholm, Stephen Hoiles, Guy Shepherdson and his former Reds team-mate Mitch Chapman, who has a good combination with him in the lineout.

"They have front-rowers in Guy Shepherdson and Nic Henderson who have played for Australia, while Salesi Ma'afu and Ben Alexander are coming through," Moore said. "They are very well served in that department.

"The backrowers speak for themselves. Most of their back five have played for Australia. That was a factor, although the Force had a good core of players as well."

Moore is also looking forward to playing under new Brumbies coach Andy Friend, who will replace Laurie Fisher next year.

"Andy Friend called me a couple of weeks ago just after they announced he had the coaching job," Moore said.

"He outlined to me the plans he had for the organisation. He said he wouldn't change too much. He would continue the attacking philosophy of the Brumbies, which suits me."

Moore had previously stated that he would wait to see if Fisher remained on the Brumbies' coaching staff before making a decision. But he was assured the forwards would be well-coached.

"I'm not sure who the forwards coaches are yet, but I'm sure they will make progress there under Andy Friend," he said.

Moore will only sign with the Brumbies for one year because he wants to keep his ARU and Super 14 deals in sync.

The timing of his move to Canberra will depend largely on whether he is involved in the Wallabies squad.

Moore, who has played 20 Tests since making his debut against Samoa in 2006, had some ups and downs early in the season, but he should be the first hooker picked for the Wallabies on present form.

He makes more tackle busts than any other hooker in the Super 14 and his set-piece work is superior to his Australian rivals. And at 25, Moore has plenty of scope for improvement.

"After my decision to leave Queensland, a weight was lifted off my shoulders," he said.

"Now I'm pretty settled. My aim is to hang on to that (Wallabies) jersey. I'm working hard on my game. I've been happy with the way I've been going over the last month. I've been enjoying my rugby, which is important."

Moore will have a splendid opportunity to press his Wallabies claims when the Reds play the Robbie Deans-coached Crusaders in Brisbane on Saturday night.

Meanwhile, Reds reserve halfback Will Genia has been ruled out of the Crusaders game because of an ankle injury. Inside centre Berrick Barnes will be the back-up halfback, while winger Brando Va'aulo has been recalled to the bench.

All Blacks five-eighth Dan Carter is to be named on the Crusaders' bench after recovering from an ankle injury.

We still have two great hookers. A third would have been nice but the ACT probably need him more than we do. Has McIsaac ever missed a game for the Force yet? And they always say the older you get the more injury prone you become. Blah.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    lalalalala regarding the McIsaac comment James, let's not tempt fate

I'm comfortable with Moore's decision.
    Good Hookers are hard to find (so I'm told..boom-boom) and Moore would have certainly have been an asset but I would see it as a great chance to get a developing player.
    Saia Faingaa may be looking for a new home too if he's going to fighting for a bench spot each week, not sure the length of Huia Edmonds contract and they have that other big unit too who is a Hooker/Prop.
    Maybe it would be timely for Boof to start a little diversification in training too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

Good Hookers are hard to find (so I'm told..boom-boom) and Moore would have certainly have been an asset but I would see it as a great chance to get a developing player.
    Saia Faingaa may be looking for a new home too if he's going to fighting for a bench spot each week, not sure the length of Huia Edmonds contract and they have that other big unit too who is a Hooker/Prop.
    Maybe it would be timely for Boof to start a little diversification in training too.
    Yeah good call I've knocked on some wood already. I am hanging out on Mitch poaching James Hanson from the Reds Academy. He's about 20 and was a little star for the Melbourne Rebels.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    To be honest, I didn't expect Steve Moore to come to the Force. I'm glad that he spent time thinking about his career, lets hope this is what the yet-to-re-sign Force players are doing & that they see WA as the best place to play for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

Saia Faingaa signed with the Reds before Moore said he was going to leave, his brother Anthony Faingaa signed with the Reds at the same time.