Thread: Rugby Wrap S5 Ep 18 with Simon Cron

vCash

Rugby Wrap S5 Ep 18 with Simon Cron

Simon Cron, Western Force coach, joins us to review the 2024 season and explain what needs to happen for next year. Plus we spread a salacious rumour about Super Round and present the Rugby Wrap Annual Awards.

Listen to podcast on "The Rugby Wrap"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Pretty fair assessment of the season from him and the opportunities for next season. Sounds like RA are playing sillily buggers with the Rebels relocations

Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Veteran
    vCash
    I feel like Simon is the first and only coach who is genuine in his discussions about how things actually work. He doesn't sugar coat it, nor complains about it and always has a strategy on how to get to success. I find his excuses never sound like excuses, they explain the trouble that they had (19 new caps for instance), but it never sounds like he is trying to weasel out of the poor performance this year.

He opens up the more technical world of coaching and rugby that 99% of us do not see or even know exists. Everytime he speaks it is super interesting.

I really think that he can do something, and he is taking us on the road with him, inviting us into the plan, which in turn gives us permission to be patient with the team and give them more time.

The discussion on how they are going to attract players (ie, not money!) was also interesting, and speaks to some really smart and visionary people in the club working to make it successful.

• Really Glad to hear KB is keen to stay
    • I never really appreciated the age of the players, and then they could be a really good long term team that we have for years
    • Donno only being 24 could give us a good 5 years of consistency at 10! and match him up with IFL after Nic finishes up.
    • Many of them only just transitioning from boys to Men is an interesting take, which gives me hope that we can get more power and dominance in the next season, with the existing team
    • And probably most importantly - many players did not want to come here, and now we have them knocking on the door. That is a fantastic sign for future seasons.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    And probably most importantly - many players did not want to come here, and now we have them knocking on the door. That is a fantastic sign for future seasons.

To be fair, he was talking about Academy prospects knocking on the door and having to be turned away, not Super Rugby players.

I hope that is due to the great Academy program we have here, but may in part be because Force is possibly seen as a team that bloods Academy players earlier than other sides, meaning therefore that young players may be able to get themselves in the SR shop-front sooner, potentially attracting the interest of other clubs (domestic & overseas) earlier?

Either way, I agree with the rest of your points about Crono, in that he seems to be very open and honest in his comments & isn't one to bulls**t others.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agree with above.
    My takeaways were-

1. Of this years 19 new Caps, 16 will be staying. Brumbies Capped 3.
    2. Brandon Paega-Amosa and Nick Dolly both confirmed and important to help out Horton.
    3. Horton played second most minutes (I think he means of Forwards as Donaldson and Stewart would be more last I looked) and the last 4-5 matches was injured. (Potentially why he missed Wallabies final cut)
    4. Swain a major in. Did mention Rodda in Lineout, so not sure when this part of the episode was recorded, given included weekend results.
    5. Are hunting for a couple of Wingers with "speed and power". (Mataele was either injured or not required by the Crusaders this season, just sayin'...)
    6. Was impressed with Henry Robertson's season but "was on a different contract" so couldn't play as much as he might have. (Not sure what that would be as he isn't Academy?)
    7. Obviously delighted with Beale. Part of his coming over was always to do with his capacity to on and off field mentor. Contract finalisation was put back until the week after Wallaby selection (aka this week), but he sounded hopeful Beale would stay.
    8. Academy- Quoted GM Chris Goodman in saying in 2022 they couldn't find players and "Last year we turned down 40 players". (I assumed that to mean 40 from outside of RWA system.)
    9. Rebels players- "As yet none."...pause..."Waiting for Rugby Australia." (There was (to me anyway) an obvious frustration in his answer, so above suggestion of "silly buggers" I think is correct.)
    10. Squad currently on a three week break, then return to Clubs "to play". then South African Tour.
    11. SA Tour includes Pumas (assuming this means Mpumalanga Rugby Union, not Argentina), Ireland Emerging and the Cheetahs
    12. Tour will include some RWA players again, but an emphasis on "Australia Eligible" this time having been caught out last year.
    13. Some Squad will be playing NPC
    14. Apparently no Off-Season matches for Perth

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; Yesterday at 17:03.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Agree with above.
    My takeaways were-
    [*]Apparently no Off-Season matches for Perth[/LIST]
    Might be deliberate - help build the "win away" skills

vCash
    Agree with above.
    My takeaways were-

[*]Swain a major in. Did mention Rodda in Lineout, so not sure when this part of the episode was recorded, given included weekend results.
    Cron talking about Rodda caught my attention too - they discussed the Blues result and Rodda's departure was announced on the Friday before. The "delusional" me hopes they are working on getting him back - bit like they managed with Santi back - Granted Worcester folding had a fair bit to do with that.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    ... they discussed the Blues result..
    Yeah, good point.
    Sadly, I think a 0.1% of converting your hypothetical.
    Again, goes back to my earlier post about post-Rugby career development in WA to help take away the whole "build-the-nest-egg" mentality approaching 30.
    These young families should be wanting to stay in Perth with a very secure future in Rugby &/or Industry/Mining.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Agree with above.
    My takeaways were-

Apparently no Off-Season matches for Perth
    He did mentioned a game against (Perth) "Gold", but not sure if this will be public or a closed-doors game?

Shame there won't be any other Spring games in Perth though.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs10 View Post
    He did mentioned a game against (Perth) "Gold", but not sure if this will be public or a closed-doors game?

Shame there won't be any other Spring games in Perth though.
    Yes, I did note that down watching then forgot to post it.
    He didn't really qualify either way did he?
    You would hope that there would be something come up for Spring locally.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.